Off to Spain tomorrow...

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by adidasss
although you have a point to a certain extent, the last sentence is simply not true, if you go arround italy and ask people from different parts of it who they are they will undoubtedly say they are italians, just because they speak with different dialects it doesn't make them different nationalities.....or countries for that matter....regions yes, countries no.....
and also, that map is not entirely correct, i see that certain parts of croatia are marked as hungarian, it's a map of minorities, just because there are a few hungarians living in a certain part of my country , doesn't make them a majority in that part or that part of my country hungary.....
It will be interesting to see if you get called a ton of names and dismissed as ignorant. You've said the same as I have: that countries are defined by legal boundaries, not linguistic or cultural groupings. But you're not American. So if the frog tears you a new one, despite how wrong he'll be yet again, then his position will be consistant. If he doesn't, then he's simply a bigot, looking for a reason to sh*t on americans, as he has in other threads.

Which will it be?

The People's Republic of Clogher
although you have a point to a certain extent, the last sentence is simply not true, if you go arround italy and ask people from different parts of it who they are they will undoubtedly say they are italians, just because they speak with different dialects it doesn't make them different nationalities.....or countries for that matter....regions yes, countries no.....
and also, that map is not entirely correct, i see that certain parts of croatia are marked as hungarian, it's a map of minorities, just because there are a few hungarians living in a certain part of my country , doesn't make them a majority in that part or that part of my country hungary.....
Indeed.

There's a huge difference between Regionalism and Nationality...

history *is* moralizing
You've said the same as I have: that countries are defined by legal boundaries, not linguistic or cultural groupings.
oh yeah?, so it's all about following what the official version tells you? now that's exactly the point. you should vote Republicans if you're so logical. now that's inspiration, poetry and originality of thinking...
if you had dedicated 10 minutes of your life to the subject, you would know it's all the conceptual concept here in Europe. but then again, you're just an ignorant new-worlder. so you should shut up, like i would on atom energy.

also, despite the fact that croatian and serbian are essentially one language, we are two very different nations....2 nations,
Adidass,
you're right. like Swiss and Germany? yes, not only language defines a "nation" (can brainwashed colonialists - anti-Bush but still defending the same view of the world - get such nuances?) but all nations with a language are a nation, which doesn't mean (unfortunately) a (yet independent - but i fought with them and we won in the Baltic countries and Slovakia, wait for Tchechenia! and so many others) state.

although you have a point to a certain extent, the last sentence is simply not true, if you go arround italy and ask people from different parts of it who they are they will undoubtedly say they are italians, just because they speak with different dialects
1) what they were taught to think (i know how education is there, and what they tell you and not) doesn't mean it is true, you can find examples every-f.uckin'-where
2) you say "dialect", inquire! a dialect is historically a development from one language. Venetian "fogo", Genovese "feugo", Lombardese "foeugh" don't come from Italian "fuoco" (English "fire"), they all come from Latin "focus", thus, are all developments from Latin into independent languages, like Spanish, Catalan, French, Occitan, Portuguese... or is Spanish a dialect of French?
(now as a linguist i can learn from you guys specialized in Atom energy, or football or cars or mathematics, so be humble and learn too where it's not your specialty)

Perhaps I'm overly sensitive but being called unimaginative, heartless and ignorant seems pretty mean.
like i said Ash Lee, twas not addressed to you. i like you, whatever that matters for, and i do know Barcelona is in Spain (haha) (officially), like some ignorant aggressive put-the-word-you-want-here keeps repeating.
is it the MoFo here? ever heard about parallel realities (movies? comics? Matrix etc...) that makes the world oh-so much richer? so, there are (at least) two ways of seeing things nationality-wise (you live/se that every single day in countries rich in culture, like here in the old world), the official version, so well known you just needa buy a guidebook to know it, and the other one, for those few deserving. less known (Criss knows it for example, well she's from Galicia.. - but Native Americans can understand the concept too i'm sure, since tis the same thing goin' on) but all the more worth knowing. as someone i appreciate, i thought you could have some sensibility for it, is all. if you don't, well is a shame since i like to share. if you do, that'd be nice.

hahaha....you're funny.....
yeah, i'll give her that. i even guess she could be nice if she stopped being the bitter frustrated person who takes it on on people with other opinions than hers, and spent some months/years self-analyzing herself. she's such a repetitive... cliché feminist (=female-centered) bigot.

Originally Posted by chicagofrog
oh yeah?, so it's all about following what the official version tells you? now that's exactly the point. you should vote Republicans if you're so logical. now that's inspiration, poetry and originality of thinking...
if you had dedicated 10 minutes of your life to the subject, you would know it's all the conceptual concept here in Europe. but then again, you're just an ignorant new-worlder. so you should shut up, like i would on atom energy.

Adidass,
you're right. like Swiss and Germany? yes, not only language defines a "nation" (can brainwashed colonialists - anti-Bush but still defending the same view of the world - get such nuances?) but all nations with a language are a nation, which doesn't mean (unfortunately) a (yet independent - but i fought with them and we won in the Baltic countries and Slovakia, wait for Tchechenia! and so many others) state.

1) what they were taught to think (i know how education is there, and what they tell you and not) doesn't mean it is true, you can find examples every-f.uckin'-where
2) you say "dialect", inquire! a dialect is historically a development from one language. Venetian "fogo", Genovese "feugo", Lombardese "foeugh" don't come from Italian "fuoco" (English "fire"), they all come from Latin "focus", thus, are all developments from Latin into independent languages, like Spanish, Catalan, French, Occitan, Portuguese... or is Spanish a dialect of French?
(now as a linguist i can learn from you guys specialized in Atom energy, or football or cars or mathematics, so be humble and learn too where it's not your specialty)

like i said Ash Lee, twas not addressed to you. i like you, whatever that matters for, and i do know Barcelona is in Spain (haha) (officially), like some ignorant aggressive put-the-word-you-want-here keeps repeating.
is it the MoFo here? ever heard about parallel realities (movies? comics? Matrix etc...) that makes the world oh-so much richer? so, there are (at least) two ways of seeing things nationality-wise (you live/se that every single day in countries rich in culture, like here in the old world), the official version, so well known you just needa buy a guidebook to know it, and the other one, for those few deserving. less known (Criss knows it for example, well she's from Galicia.. - but Native Americans can understand the concept too i'm sure, since tis the same thing goin' on) but all the more worth knowing. as someone i appreciate, i thought you could have some sensibility for it, is all. if you don't, well is a shame since i like to share. if you do, that'd be nice.

yeah, i'll give her that. i even guess she could be nice if she stopped being the bitter frustrated person who takes it on on people with other opinions than hers, and spent some months/years self-analyzing herself. she's such a repetitive... cliché feminist (=female-centered) bigot.

So you don't accuse me of being underhanded again, here is the negative rep I just gave this jerk: "You are pathetic. You take all these potshots at me for saying something that you then admit is only the truth, and then KEEP ON your self-righteous tirade. You've shown everyone what an ******* you are in this thread though, so it was worth it."

history *is* moralizing
so my soul is lost and i have to do the same infantile thing. they female will never learn...
but i'm such a nice guy...

oh i love this thread

the funniest is that none of you (us,i include myself) will change your mind

like i said Ash Lee, twas not addressed to you. i like you, whatever that matters for, and i do know Barcelona is in Spain (haha) (officially), like some ignorant aggressive put-the-word-you-want-
here keeps repeating.
yes, officially

is it the MoFo here? ever heard about parallel realities (movies? comics? Matrix etc...) that makes the world oh-so much richer? so, there are (at least) two ways of seeing things nationality-wise (you live/se that every single day in countries rich in culture, like here in the old world), the official version, so well known you just needa buy a guidebook to know it, and the other one, for those few deserving. less known (Criss knows it for example, well she's from Galicia.. - but Native Americans can understand the concept too i'm sure, since tis the same thing goin' on) but all the more worth knowing. as someone i appreciate, i thought you could have some sensibility for it, is all. if you don't, well is a shame since i like to share. if you do, that'd be nice..
yes i know and im really happy about it, but i also understand those who cant understand all this, most societies are not educated in this way of thiking, it is even hard to understand living here, just respect each other

Originally Posted by criss
yes, officially

yes i know and im really happy about it, but i also understand those who cant understand all this, most societies are not educated in this way of thiking, it is even hard to understand living here, just respect each other
I live in Los Angeles. If you know anything about Los Angeles and the many cultures that coexist here, then you know that I am not a stranger to the concepts that this rude ass has been braying about. I take no issue with nationalism or culturalism or any of that. He has assumed that because I am white and american that I am small-minded and ignorant. That is BIGOTRY. The problem in this thread is not ignorance on the part of anyone, it is a huge problem of disrespect on the part of the person who has repeatedly dredged up absolutely irrelevant lies, in an attempt to justify his rudeness. Please do not assume that he is in any way correct in his assertions that americans are all ignorant or colonialist or any of that garbage. He uses that to justify his own horrible behaviour. It's nothing more than that.

hmm...but aren't all italian languages derivatives from vulgar Latin? Italian too? while i may agree with on spain being a multi national country, i cannot agree with you as far as italy is concerned, the difference between them being that in spain catalans and basks and other nations have a distinct awareness of their nationality, whilst there is no such thing in italy, despite the very emphasized sense of regionalism, and to finish this discussion, barcelona is still in spain, until catalonia becomes an independent country, her post was not wrong....

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
BIGOTRY
after all, not such a weird thing that a nazi that doesn't tolerate any other opinion and is the perfect example of bigotry calls me a bigot repetitively. not weird, since the same infantile character of her reactions makes her do what all children do in an argument: "no, not me, you are an idiot - no, YOU are the idiot" and so on for ages...

plus she never discusses anything deeply (see other threads) with anyone that doesn't accept her principles first, those of feminism included, or whatever else she has a gender-based obsession with, which as a matter of fact should be the reason why people discuss, cuz they don't agree. no, she "discusses" with you if you agree, if not she tears her hair like the powerless witch she is repeating insults and "i'm NOT haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaving an aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargument".

and she's so dumb she proves me right with every action she takes. read the examples i gave about infantile reactions like bad-repping, so-called progressiveness that doesn't apply to all aspects and people(s), lack of principles, and bigotry, read her posts, analyze her acts, and it all becomes clear.

do your brains have their menopause too, Cindy?

history *is* moralizing
hmm...but aren't all italian languages derivatives from vulgar Latin? Italian too?
einh? yeah, that's the definition of all romance languages, like i said. so if Spanish is not an Italian dialect, Lombardese is not either. pure logics bro! or some could call Croatian a dialect of Russian, cuz they'd equiparate Russian and Slavic?

the difference between them being that in spain catalans and basks and other nations have a distinct awareness of their nationality, whilst there is no such thing in italy
yeah of course . look around a little. i could name you 5 Venetan parties. i can name you the Genovese MIL, the Emilian Libertà Emiliana (that now is in Brussel with the other members of the European independent union), plus so many Sard, Sicilian, parties that have huge success in the south.
plus a nation is not only the political parties you have or even the conscience of the people that are being constantly influenced by the powers that be, especially during education and by the medias. so nation takes other forms too? you know the production of books in Venetan every year? and in Neapolitan, which is much bigger? or in Sicilian or Genovese? you know the first dictionary i found in Chicago was an English-Sicilian one? you know there's a Sicilian grammar in German? not necessarily political parties do all the work that's to be done.
[/quote]