Movies that take place at sea

Tools    

How many movies can you think of that are set 'at sea'? What are your favorites?

My 3 faves:

Perfect Storm
Das Boot
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Lifeboat

Hitchcock's wartime piece about the handful of survivors from a torpedoed ship, including Tellulah Bankhead, William Bendix and Hume Cronan, as they wait in the vastness of the sea hoping for rescue, made more complicated by the fact that a German sailor is in the small boat with them. Shifting loyalties and the madness bred of the dire situation make for great thrills and drama even though it all takes place in one very small physical space. It also features Hitch's most inventive cameo: as there was no way for him to pass by in the background this time, he appears in print in a before & after weightloss advertisement in a newspaper that is scooped out of the water as they drift. From a John Steinbeck story.

White Squall and Dead Calm

White Squall (1996) is one of Ridley Scott's most underrated movies, a coming-of ager based on a true story about a group of young boys spending their summer on a boat, taking classes and learning about sailing and life, when tragedy comes in the form of a rare white squall storm cell that destroys the boat and kills some of the students and crew. Pretty straightforward in that there aren't any surprises or anything particularly new, but it's all done really well with strong central performances by Jeff Bridges and Scott Wolf and amazing cinematography by Hugh Johnson.

Dead Calm (1989 - Phillip Noyce) is a really fine thriller from Down Under set in motion when a couple (Sam Neill & Nicole Kidman) pick up the wrong dude (Billy Zane) from another boat in distress, not realizing that the man they've let on board is a freakin' psychopath who has soon stolen their yacht and Kidman while leaving Neill to die adrift in the middle of the ocean. It was the movie that earned international notice for Nicole, and more importantly it's just a taught, well-made thriller.

And The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004), The Impostors (1988), The Hunt for Red October (1990) and The Crimson Pirate (1952), too. And Das Boot, definitely.

Some other favorites that don't take primarily at sea but have key sections devoted to it are Jaws (1975), Joe versus the Volcano (1990), A Night at the Opera (1935) and The Lady Eve (1941).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Most memorable ones in my opinion:
The Titanic
Perfect Storm
Under Siege

Waterworld

A web-footed loner navigates a landless, post-apocalyptic Earth, chased by a ruthless gang after a woman's young charge.

The Life Aquatic and Jaws are my favorites

Open Water - inspired by a true story
Open Water 2: Adrift - One of the worst movies I've seen.

favorite:
Can't think of any.

Put me in your pocket...
I have my usual favorites....
Captain Blood (1935)
Sea Hawk (1940)
Pirates of the Caribbean - The Curse of the Black Pearl

...but I also have a fondness for these two.

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

Sea Wolf (1941)

They both have such great casts with top notch acting.

Two Came Back (1997, Dick Lowry) - made for tv movie staring Melissa Joan Hart and Jonathan Brandis

Deap Blue Sea (1999, Renny Harlin)

Cast Away (2000, Robert Zemeckis)

Shark Attack (1999, Bob Misiorowski)

How many movies can you think of that are set 'at sea'?
The Sea Chase (1955)

The Caine Mutiny (1959) a favorite

Mutiny on the Bounty (1935) a favorite with Gable and Laughton; The 1962 version with Brando was awful.

The Enemy Below (1957) I thnk this was one of the few like The Sea Wolf and Lifeboat that is entirely at sea.

Run Silent, Run Deep (1958)

Operation Petticoat (1959)

Destination Tokyo (1943) a favorite

Mr. Roberts (1955) a favorite

Flat Top (1952)

A Wing and a Prayer (1944)

Ship of Fools (1965)

Plymouth Adventure (1952)

Capt. Horatio Hornblower (1951)

World in his Arms (1952)

A Night to Remember (1958) a favorite

Titanic (1953) a favorite

The Old Man and the Sea (1958)

Captains Courageous (1937) a favorite

Sink the Bismark (1960)

In Which We Serve (1942) a favorite

Moby Dick The greatest sea story ever!

The Bedford Incident I think this also takes place entirely at sea.

Beneath the 12-Mile Reef a favorite

Thunder Bay Loosely based on the drilling of the first oil well out of sight of land in the Gulf of Mexico. It's got James Stewart, Dan Duryea, and Gilbert Roland as a Cajun shrimper--what more can you ask for!

The Russians Are Coming! Well, it's more of a sea movie than Castaway! Also a favorite

Onionhead I think this was the second film Andy Griffth did after No Time for Sergeants, only this time he's a baker's assistant on a Coast Guard ship in WWII. With Claude Atkins and Walter Matthau. Little known but very funny.

Oh, yeah--Away All Boats starring Jeff Chandler; a little offbeat in that its about a troop landing ship during WWII. None of the glory of the battleships, carriers, subs, and destroyers, but these are the vessels that put troops ashore while fighting off kimakazies.

Does anyone remember a film made probably 1995-2006 about a guy who lives most of his life in the same cabin on an oceanliner and refuses to leave when they take the aging ship out to scuttle it as an artificial reef? It's a full-length movie that I caught one night on TV. Don't recall who was in it or much else about it, except that it was oddly interesting.

Originally Posted by rufnek
Does anyone remember a film made probably 1995-2006 about a guy who lives most of his life in the same cabin on an oceanliner and refuses to leave when they take the aging ship out to scuttle it as an artificial reef? It's a full-length movie that I caught one night on TV. Don't recall who was in it or much else about it, except that it was oddly interesting.

Yes, it's called The Legend of 1900 (1998), written and directed by Giuseppe Tornatore (Cinema Paradiso, Malèna). It stars Tim Roth as the man named "1900", found as an abandoned infant aboard the ship and raised by one of the men in the engine room.

I have my usual favorites....
Captain Blood (1935)
Sea Hawk (1940)
Pirates of the Caribbean - The Curse of the Black Pearl
I've completely forgotten about Pirates of the Caribbean.

@topic
Deep Blue Sea
Poseidon

The Navigator (1924).

Definitely....

I always liked The Poseidon Adventure (1972) and The Abyss (1989) too...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Dead Calm - Not the greatest movie ever made, but the scene where Nicole gets her shorts ripped off when seducing Billy Zane was worth a 'woody award' for me as a teen.

I have watched a lot of movie which takes place at the sea like:

Poseidon
Titanic
Shark
Storm
Deep Blue Sea

The Little Mermaid
Shark Tales
Finding Nemo...

no seriously,

Titanic
The Guardian