Which set-up is better?

Tools    

What's better: 40" TV with speakers in front or 25" TV in total darkness with 5.1 surround sound? If it's dark and I sit close enough, will I know notice the size difference?

Force perspective can be good if you don't have a big TV... for instance, watching a movie on my laptop gives the impression I'm watching a 70+ inch screen.

Personally, a bigger screen is better though.

Thanks for the quick reply! What's your oppinion on the sound set-up though? The 40" Television doesn't have 5.1...

You can get Surround Amplifiers for a low price if money is tight.

Surround settings built into TVs are never any good tbh. They use two speakers to try to make a surround effect.

I use the Kenwood SS-79... basically it's a faux Surround Box instead of being an actual Surround System...

... you use the TV speakers as the front speakers... and plug two speakers into the Box and place them at the back of the room... it takes the regular two channel sound from whatever device it's attached to, and analyses the noise, and turns it into Surround by sending some of the sound to the back speakers.
Works really well.

Mine, you can pick up for about $30... or £15 if you're in Britain.

I'm sure there are some actual Surround Systems you can get cheap though.

I only really want this for a few movies so not worth buying and setting up speakers for it, which would you suggest of the two option available to me?

Bigger screen without built in surround.

As I said, built in surround on TVs is never any good... it uses the TV's two speakers to create an echo effect that resembles being in a large Hall. If you really, really, really want surround, get a Surround Box.

Big screen, all the way. That way you can save some pennies and get some extra speakers if you want them in the future.

Thank You!