My Favorite Oscar Worthy Performances in Comedy Films

Tools    

Gideon, nice list so far. Even though this following term is a music reference, I'll refer to some of your picks as "deep cuts." For instance:

High Anxiety, Harvey Korman. This is my personal favorite Mel Brooks movie and my favorite Harvey Korman role. I love Hitchcock, so this movie was right in my wheelhouse but I think anyone could enjoy it.

Starting Over, Burt Reynolds. I think this is the best acting that Burt has ever done. Although some of his other movies are favorites, he really showed off his chops here instead of just playing "Burt," the good old boy as he did in lots of movies...not that there was anything wrong with that.

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, Jim Carrey. I'm one of the few people I know who can find no wrong with this movie. And Jim Carrey did indeed shine in this.

The there are some that are not "deep cuts" per se, but popular picks like:

Young Frankenstein, Cloris Leachman. Awesome performance. "Yes! Yes! Say it! He was my boyfriend!"

Groundhog Day, Bill Murray. One of his many classic performances and one of the best.

The Nutty Professor, Eddie Murphy. So good in so many roles. The crass grandma was my particular favorite.

I like all the rest that you've picked except for the ones I haven't seen, like Tom Ewell and Jack Lemmon's performances. Looking forward to the rest of the list!
So pleased to see some love for Burt Reynolds in Starting Over...it was the one entry on this list that I was convinced wouldn't get any reps.

Steve Martin, All of Me

There was some Oscar buzz regarding this performance but it never happened...Martin scores in this physically tricky role as a lawyer whose right side of his body is taken over by the soul of a dead millionairess (Lily Tomlin).

Dan Aykroyd, Trading Places

Aykroyd is very funny as a spoiled millionaire who has his life ruined by a pair of ruthless relatives (Ralph Bellamy, Don Ameche).

Eddie Murphy, Beverly Hills Cop

Murphy's comic brilliance took an ordinary action comedy to an entirely new level and deservedly became a movie star.

Bill Murray, Ghostbusters

Murray's laid back comic persona was a perfect companion to some state of the art special effects (for 1984) and turned out to be the main reason this comedy became a classic.

Well, we're down to # 2 already...here are some honorable mentions:

Joe Pesci, My Cousin Vinny
Shirley MacLaine, What a Way to Go!
Eddie Murphy, 48 Hours
Judd Nelson, The Breakfast Club
Dabney Coleman, Nine to Five
Tony Randall, Pillow Talk
Robert Preston, S.O.B.
Jack Lemmon, The Odd Couple
Robert Redford, Barefoot in the Park
Goldie Hawn, Butterflies are Free

As always, this is my opinion and my opinion only...drum roll please...and now, my # 1 Oscar worthy comedy performance:

Steve Martin, Roxanne

This performance is so quietly brilliant that a lot of people didn't notice how brilliant it is...a seamless blend of slapstick comic and romantic leading man, Martin delivers a tour-de-force performance in this modern re-thinking of Cyrano de Bergerac. Oscar buzz surrounded this performance as well but Martin failed to receive a nomination. Chevy Chase hosted the Oscars that year and as a form of protest, when he was introduced, he came onstage wearing a Cyrano nose.

Hope you enjoyed the list.

Wilder in Young Frankenstein and Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski are great choices. Sean Penn,Eddie Murphy, Matthew Broderick and Billy Crystal were all right in their respective roles i don't agree that they are oscar worthy though. As much as i love Trading Places i'm not sure Akyroyds performance was anything special. I thought Channing just like everyone else was really bad in Grease. Murray in Ghostbusters and even though i didn't like the film much Martin in Roxanne were great choices.

Bit disappointed to not see Pesci or Tomei for My Cousin Vinny. Oh well it is your list

Wilder in Young Frankenstein and Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski are great choices. Sean Penn,Eddie Murphy, Matthew Broderick and Billy Crystal were all right in their respective roles i don't agree that they are oscar worthy though. As much as i love Trading Places i'm not sure Akyroyds performance was anything special. I thought Channing just like everyone else was really bad in Grease. Murray in Ghostbusters and even though i didn't like the film much Martin in Roxanne were great choices.

Bit disappointed to not see Pesci or Tomei for My Cousin Vinny. Oh well it is your list
OMG, I forgot all about My Cousin Vinny...Pesci definitely belongs on this list and Tomei won the Oscar so she really wouldn't qualify here, as I was focusing on performances that didn't even earn nominations. I have added Pesci to the top of my honorable mentions list.

Guess that's why none of the actors in Working Girl ended up here.
Yeah, I was trying to concentrate on performances that did not receive nominations and Melanie Griffith and Sigorney Weaver were both nominated.

Groundhogs day FOR SURE. Classic performance and Bill Murrey at his best dry comedy wit.

Jack Lemmon in both Some Like it Hot (in which he was nominated) and the Great Race (the sheer commitment was enough).
As I mentioned before, I tried to stay away from performances that were actually nominated and Lemmon was nominated for Some Like it Hot and definitely deserved it. On my favorite Jack Lemmon performances thread, Some Like it Hot came in at #2. The Great Race was on my thread of favorite movie villains.

Murphy in The Nutty Professor is actually a pretty good choice IMO. Used to love it as a kid but i tried watching it on tv last year and it was really annoying, Murphy is very good though don't think i even knew he played everybody when i was a kid. It is like a modern day Dr.Strangelove

I liked When Harry Met Sally, not sure about an Oscar nom for either performance though. Sadly The Odd Couple didn't work much for me, but i would be fine with Matthau getting a nom for it.
Why didn't The Odd Couple work for you? I don't know anyone who doesn't LOVE that movie.

Good choice for #1, Gideon. I think Roxanne gave Steve Martin one of his best roles. And my single favorite moment in the movie is when Martin puts his money in a newspaper dispenser, walks a few steps while reading the headlines and screeches, goes back to the dispenser, puts money in and puts the paper back. Hilarious!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) is also another favorite role of mine for Martin, but the case could be made for Michael Caine in this movie for Supporting Actor.

Great list, Gideon!

Good choice for #1, Gideon. I think Roxanne gave Steve Martin one of his best roles. And my single favorite moment in the movie is when Martin puts his money in a newspaper dispenser, walks a few steps while reading the headlines and screeches, goes back to the dispenser, puts money in and puts the paper back. Hilarious!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988) is also another favorite role of mine for Martin, but the case could be made for Michael Caine in this movie for Supporting Actor.

Great list, Gideon!
Thanks, dadgumblah.

Comedy really needs their own awards ceremony. Globes don't represent comedies.

I think Eddie Murphy in Bowl Finger and Jim Carrey in Me, Myself and Irene should have gotten some kind of recognition. They, to me, were amazing performances.
I'm sorry I forgot about Carrey in Me, Myself, and Irene...that was a great performance.

Personally, I think Bill Murray as Peter Venkman should be NO1. I think it's possibly the greatest comedy performance of all time. Also: surprised to see no Will Smith as Agent J in the Men In Black series. He would definitely be on my list.

Personally, I think Bill Murray as Peter Venkman should be NO1. I think it's possibly the greatest comedy performance of all time. Also: surprised to see no Will Smith as Agent J in the Men In Black series. He would definitely be on my list.
I don't know why, but Will Smith never crossed my mind when comprising this list...partially because I don't consider Men in Black a comedy and partially because Will Smith pretty much plays Will Smith in most of his movies.