Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

I'd have to say, A Beautiful Mind- pretty predictable and definitely not Oscar worthy (although still a decent film). I without a doubt prefer Howard's Apollo 13.

And adding to this debate- not only do I not date men based entirely off of looks (for the most part)...but if you think for a second that Marlon Brando isn't attractive...wow . I think he was sexy as Terry Malloy, Stanley Kowalski, AND Vito Corelone. Hell, I still thought he was kinda sexy in Apocalypse Now...and he was in shadows for most of his time on film (mind you I have a weird belief in what is attractive). So, that's just, crazy...to me at least. Even Pacino is pretty sexy in it. I'd also like to add that I don't judge how good a movie is based off of how attractive the actors are.
I hated A Beautiful Mind...both Crowe and Ron Howard have done a lot more interesting work. Actually so has Jennifer Connelly come to think of it. And Marlon Brando was sex on legs in A Streetcar Named Desire.

Here are the movies that I hate, but that everybody seems to love:

The Town: It's overrated, the acting and directing are both bad, and the cast, with the exception of Jeremy Renner as the psychotic "Jem", are not the least bit convincing in their roles as the various characters. Plus, the whole idea of some distraught bank manager falling in love with a guy who turned out to be the de facto leader of the four armed, masked men who robbed her bank and then kidnapped her at gunpoint, doesn't sit well with me. I just don't buy it!

1776: Boring as hell. My friend and I walked out in the middle of it.

Oh, God! (starring George Burns and the late John Denver): A stupid, boring movie.

S. O. B. (Standard Operational Bulls**t) A stupid movie, with too many fart jokes for its own good.

Casablanca: Not my cup of tea, either.
I love 1776 and S.O.B..

Off the top of my head.
Paranormal Activitiy 1,2,3 --- GTFO
Any Tim Burton Movie.
Most Johnny Depp Movies.
All SAW Movies. 1st one was cool.
Big second to the Saw movies...I don't get what people see in that garbage...I got through two of them and that was enough.

I wish I could take an easy dump every time I watched Blade Runner and It's a Wonderful Life.
Count me in on Blade Runner!

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
I have never understood all the love for Blade Runner either...that movie bored the crap out of me.
I couldn't get into that one either. It didn't bore me as much as 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia but it was still pretty dull.

Harry Potter
Twilight
Braveheart
Gladiator
Inception
Don Jon
Paranormal Activity
Matrix
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Probably a few more that I'm not remembering atm, in bold those I really, really dislike, the others I just find overrated.

How could anyone hate There Will Be Blood? Movie is practically perfect.
To Each His Own! That is the only thing i can say!

I got a lot of stick for hating Blade Runner. Well in fact, except for a few handful Sci-fi movies, I consider that genre as meaningless drivel! So too most comedies. But Comedies > Sci-Fi.

I have never understood all the love for Blade Runner either...that movie bored the crap out of me.
Count me in...getting through Braveheart was torture...right up there with Dances With Wolves and There Will be Blood.
I couldn't get into that one either. It didn't bore me as much as 2001 or Lawrence of Arabia but it was still pretty dull.
Count me in on Blade Runner!
Harry Potter
Twilight
Braveheart
Gladiator
Inception
Don Jon
Paranormal Activity
Matrix
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Probably a few more that I'm not remembering atm, in bold those I really, really dislike, the others I just find overrated.
Ah, my people. The revolution is coming.

Mine:

Shawshank Redemption, I don't actually hate it but it borrowed way too heavily from the plot of Alexandre Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo (I elaborated on this in another thread) - so I had to take points off for originality.

Superbad is another one - it had some funny moments, but the two cop characters were just annoying and weird, and about half of the film focused on them instead of the teenagers trying to lose their virginity.

I'd also say animated films in general; I feel that the entire concept is just a step below live action filming; even when they deserve appreciation for their "art" - isn't really the reason I go to see films - I go to see acting and characters, and you can't capture that kind of depth in animation. This is why children enjoy animated films - they offer visual stimuli but only maintain a level of depth which a kid can understand.

I'd also say animated films in general; I feel that the entire concept is just a step below live action filming

and you can't capture that kind of depth in animation.
While I sort of agree with this, I disagree with the rest, in particular this:

This is why children enjoy animated films - they offer visual stimuli but only maintain a level of depth which a kid can understand.
It all depends which animated film or what kind of animation we're talking about here

While I sort of agree with this, I disagree with the rest, in particular this:

It all depends which animated film or what kind of animation we're talking about here
I'm obviously not talking about R-rated animation - I was just saying that there's a reason kids would be more interested in watching a Cartoon Network show than a film like The Godfather (even if you censor out all of the explicit moments).

Yeah, it makes sense, but that sounded like you were disparaging the medium as a whole

Titantic is another no-brainer if it hasn't been mentioned already (which I'm sure it has).

Avatar is another one - I don't think this was ever considered a critical masterpiece anyway, but it was generic and forgettable; basically just "Disney's Pocahontas with aliens"; the only reason it sold over $1 billion was because it was the first film to use the new 3D effects.

Yeah, it makes sense, but that sounded like you were disparaging the medium as a whole
Fair enough

Transformers was never exactly critically acclaimed to begin with. The first one managed to get average reviews at best; the sequels were all trashed by the critics big time

Welcome to the human race...
Transformers was never exactly critically acclaimed to begin with. The first one managed to get average reviews at best; the sequels were all trashed by the critics big time
I don't think films mentioned in this thread have to be critically acclaimed to qualify, they can just be sufficiently popular instead.