18.52%
20 votes
1980s
29.63%
32 votes
1990s
108 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I know! The '80s are a joke, right?!? I mean it's not like there were great films such as Amadeus, RAN, Raging Bull, Once Upon A Time in America, Do the Right Thing, The Elephant Man, This Is Spinal Tap, Missing, Wings of Desire, The Killing Fields, Crimes & Midemeanors, Barfly, The Right Stuff, Das Boot, Reds, Bird, Tess, Gandhi, Pennies from Heaven, The Thin Blue Line, Fitzcarraldo, The Last Temptation of Christ, Hope & Glory, Empire of the Sun, Full Metal Jacket, The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover, Hannah & Her Sisters, Spoorloos, Platoon, Glory, Henry V, Jean de Florette, Manon of the Spring, Drugstore Cowboy, Cinema Paradiso, Fanny & Alexander, Rain Man, Matewan, Stand by Me, My Left Foot, Camille Claudel, Tootsie, Diner, Tin Men, A Fish Called Wanda, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Withnail & I, Au Revoir Les Enfants, The Decline of the American Empire, Airplane!, The Mission, Brazil, Shoah, Paris Texas, When Harry Met Sally..., Under the Volcano and others of that quality.

You're right, it was full of Sci-Fi, endless horror sequels, teen comedies and not much else. Pitiful little Electric Boogalooin' decade!
Leave it to you to call me out upon my re-emergence here at the MF :P

I was severely over generalizing. You must remember about a year ago when I first started posting here (then subsequently fell off the face of the planet) that I care deeply for all the films you mentioned. Unfortunately at the time I was little more than a High-Schooler so remember those films more as 90's films, when I first discovered the bulk of them.

I was lucky to have at my disposal an excellent "art" theatre where I saw The Cook.... Aria, Do the Right Thing and Wings but I guess I just have a different memory concerning "decades." To me the eighties ended when I graduated from High School in 1986, but otherwise I missed out on many of them first run. I saw most of them on video and then some at festivals and re-release.

Originally Posted by Othelo
To me the Eighties ended when I graduated from High School in 1986, but otherwise I missed out on many of them first run. I saw most of them on video and then some at festivals and re-release.
Oh, then let me clarify for you: this isn't best decade for your own movie watching, nor does it mean when you actually saw the movies (as in, if you saw Casablanca in 1992 that does not make it a movie of the '90s).

Does that help?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Oh, then let me clarify for you: this isn't best decade for your own movie watching, nor does it mean when you actually saw the movies (as in, if you saw Casablanca in 1992 that does not make it a movie of the '90s).

Does that help?
A bit testy?

I understand taking film very seriously but outside the cinema maybe you should lighten up a bit, cut the sarcasm and stop assuming I'm some kind of a dolt.

Or maybe I should just straighten my back and not make flippant comments knowing you are around? I think not.

The truth of the matter is that I recall things differently; I was not trying to make the decade conform to MY standards of time. If I saw a film produced in the late 80's on video in the 90's then I recall it as an experience I had in the 90's. I'm no idiot, obviously a film like Casablanca (thanks for the obvious example, my feeble brain wouldn't have gotten the subtlety of say using a more recent film, I appreciate you taking it down to my level) was not produced in the 90's regardless of when I viewed it.

I admit that I really didn’t start watching "good" films until about 86' I had some exposure to a few cult and foreign films on cable but as far as the cinema is concerned it wasn’t until college (87 or so) that I actually sought out the good stuff. I had better things to do like working several jobs to support my family, you know, life stuff, or maybe you don't.

Do me a favor, take a wise man's advice and if you don't have anything productive to say then say nothing at all. There is especially No need to further clarify the obvious, especially if it means you’re going to use that condescending tone.

Holden Pike I do believe a voting system does imply to ask for a person's individual opinion, otherwise it would be a multiple choice Q&A. Imo i believe the 90s had better movies but only because I like realistic action movies and earlier decades didn't do much with the realism factor.

the 90's. In the 90's the greatest dutch tv show was created and i love it to death. Also charmed started, and some other great shows/movies

And do check my "art": Deviant

The 60's!!! So many amazing films the Graduate, 2001: Space Odyssey, Midnight Cowboy, the Good the Bad and the Ugly, Once Upon a Time in the West, Sword of Doom, Dr. Stranglelove, Lolita, Band of Outsiders, and many many more.

gotta be 80's

One of my favorite series of all time was made then: Indiana Jones.

Not to mention two of the three Star Wars films were made then too.

I said the 90's because most movies I've seen have been from this period. LOL.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
The 90s, in second place? Are you ****ing kidding me? I don't get it - I found the 90s to be weaker than even the 80s!

(I voted 60s, by the way...but I think I should've gone with the 50s now)

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
If we're talking second best decade, then the 1940s. So many classic comedies and then movies started taking a darker turn into film noir after the war. Really great decade.

I voted for the 90's. This was a time in my life when I went from a little girl to a late teenager so there was alot of growing up. I remember begging my parents to let me go and see my first rated R movie with them Good Will Hunting. Some of the movies that spnned this era that were special to me were: Edward Scissorhands, Hook, Groundhog Day, Forrest Gump, The Lion King, Good Will Hunting, There's Something About Mary, American Beauty, Fight Club, and Girl, Interrupted.

I've gotta go with 90's, Misery, The Shawshank Redemption, The Commitments, Toy Story, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Groundhog Day, Human Traffic, Friday, American History X.....The list goes on, Although there are many 70's and 80's film's i like the 90's was the decade i became more interested in film.

I said the 90's. Probably it's because it was the time I started going regularly to movies once a week and I've seen more of that decade than any other.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
I guess you're all voting differently from me...I grew up in the 90s too, but I'm voting objectively, not nostalgically. I think that the 90s may actualy be the weakest decade we've had in...er...decades.

Well I voted for the 90's, but I wasn't born till 1993 so it really would be this decade we are in right now. That is the decade I have seen the most movies from.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I guess you're all voting differently from me...I grew up in the 90s too, but I'm voting objectively, not nostalgically.
I wonder how many of the people who say the 60s or 70s are the best decades are the ones who grew up in those decades, though. It seems that the 80s is starting to get more credibility as the people who grew uup in the 80s are getting older and having more influence. If a poll like this was condcucted in the 70s, would 60s and 70s films be as popular and respected as they seem to be these days, or would a lot of older people look back nostalgically on the 30s and 40s?

As for voting 'objectively', can you do that in a poll about your favourite decade...?

Well the "Best" movie ever...Flash Gordon, was made in the 80's so yeah the 80's rule.

The Fabulous Sausage Man
I wonder how many of the people who say the 60s or 70s are the best decades are the ones who grew up in those decades, though. It seems that the 80s is starting to get more credibility as the people who grew uup in the 80s are getting older and having more influence. If a poll like this was condcucted in the 70s, would 60s and 70s films be as popular and respected as they seem to be these days, or would a lot of older people look back nostalgically on the 30s and 40s?

As for voting 'objectively', can you do that in a poll about your favourite decade...?
They would perhaps look back nostalgically at the 30s and 40s, though I don't think I would if I was alive back then. It's hard to look at your own decade because you'll always think of the recent junk that has ben released. But those kind of films apear in every decade - Manos was from the 60s...but I think the way I choose favourites is to look at the best films of each decade and see which decade had the greater films. The best films of the 90s obviously do not come close to being as great as films from previous decades or - in my opinion - this decade. You can say that you prefer the 90s though since this is a subjective poll - what I meant by "objectively" is I wasn't letting nostalgia get in the way and judge the decade from the experiences I had back then. The poll is about your favourite decade for film, not just decade.