The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
That is the problem with many older movies, especially ones about renegade cops. They try to justify their extreme measures by pitting them against the absolute worst villains, but in real life for every 1 cop that skirts the rules for good reasons, there's about 100 that do it to quickly secure more convictions, by denying suspects their legal rights.
as noted, even the film as a whole seems to be aware of this - "dirty harry" is an in-universe nickname, after all. that its first sequel is about a squad of cops who resort to vigilante murder in a way that even callahan finds objectionable points to this as well, though this is arguably justifying his own actions as being not that bad. sudden impact providing a genuinely sympathetic perp for him to chase readily makes it the best sequel (and, as others have pointed out, there's a case to be made for it to be better - or at least more of a neo-noir - than dirty harry itself).

4lists48points
Mona Lisa
Director

Neil Jordan, 1986

Starring

Bob Hoskins, Cathy Tyson, Michael Caine, Robbie Coltrane

4lists51points
Manhunter
Director

Michael Mann, 1986

Starring

William Petersen, Tom Noonan, Joan Allen, Brian Cox

TRAILERS

Mona Lisa - A man recently released from prison manages to get a job driving a high-class call girl from customer to customer, which leads him into dangerous situations.

Manhunter - Former FBI profiler Will Graham comes out of retirement to help pursue a deranged serial killer dubbed "the Tooth Fairy" by the media, which leads him to confront the demons of his past and meet again with Hannibal Lektor.

Whew, hope you didn't catch it, but I was sweating for a while there

Anyway, I haven't seen Mona Lisa but I'm a big Manhunter fan. It just barely missed my list, but I like it a whole lot.

SEEN: 13/24
MY BALLOT: 3/25

My ballot  

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. seen both films and liked them very much. have been meaning to revisit manhunter for a while, especially since i need to compare its theatrical and director's cuts.

The trick is not minding
I said it before, but I’m 90% sure I’ve seen Mona Lisa. It’s been so long, however, that it could definitely use a rewatch. Manhunter is ok. Been over a decade since I’ve seen that one as well, so probably should rewatch that too.

Added Mona Lisa to my Criterion watchlist, so I may get to that soon. I love Hoskins.

Manhunter has always felt like a movie I should love. It deserves a rewatch.

Mona Lisa is a very good film with great peroformances and direction. I'm glad to see that it made the list. It wouldn't be a neo noir list without it.

I thought Manhunter was decent enough.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... MONA LISA

RT – 98%, IMDb – 7.3

Roger Ebert said:

"The movie's ending is a little too neat for my taste. But in a movie like this, everything depends on atmosphere and character, and Mona Lisa knows exactly what it is doing." (read full review here)
Only a Bloody Blog said:

"Mona Lisa is a film of incredible contrasts. At times grubby and brutal while at others soft and beautiful. Part neo-noir, part tragic romance and part gangster classic it swings between the different styles with a confidence and subtlety to produce a quite wonderful end product." (read full review here)
Rupert Lally said:

"Shot with considerable style by Neil Jordan, it manages to be an authentic British Noir/Drama and yet never descends into parody like the films of Guy Ritchie have done." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... MANHUNTER

RT – 94%, IMDb – 7.2

Roger Ebert said:

"A feature-length riff on Nietzsche's old quote about looking long into the abyss, Manhunter is a moody, sorrowful picture about a man consciously uncoupling himself from domestic comforts in order to become that which he must destroy." (read full review here)
Soham Gadre, from Film Daze, said:

"Likewise, Manhunter, a film five years later that is less angry but more provocative than Thief, is even more dedicated to the elements of the neo-noir. It features the core 80’s mix of explicit sexuality and violence that came to define the subgenre’s popularity. " (read full review here)
Mark Redmond, from Swampflix, said:

"Manhunter is a great movie, one of the best neo-noirs ever made. Not to throw a fantastic movie like Silence of the Lambs under the metaphorical bus, but Lambs has nothing on Mann’s sense of style and his cinematic eye. Every frame of Manhunter is gorgeous, even when it’s shocking, disturbing, or creepy" (read full review here)

Have seen so far: 3 - Shutter Island - Don't remember much about the movie but remember not liking it that much.
Dirty Harry - A good movie from the 70's, if I made my ballot list 25 movies, this would be on it for sure.
Have not seen so far: 21

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Yes to both Mona Lisa and Manhunter. Really liked both with ML maybe edging out Manhunter in terms of preference. Neither were on my ballot.

12 of 24 which puts me at 50%. Neither fish nor fowl.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#78. Mona Lisa (1986) is my #21.

I remember how we had to cheat to get into the theatre in the late eighties because the film was age restricted. We were successful doing this. I've seen it couple more times since then.
Bob Hoskins is so natural, so genuine in his acting. I like him very much as a whole.

+
82/100

-----

My Ballot

4. The Driver (1978) [#79]
6. Red Rock West (1993) [#88]
7. The Hot Spot (1990) [#85]
8. Shallow Grave (1994) [#95]
14. Purple Noon (1960) [#94]
21. Mona Lisa (1986) [#78]

-----

My Near Misses:

The Ninth Gate (1999) [one-pointers]
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) [#96]

Oh and #98, In the Heat of the Night, was my #4 pick. I had a vague feeling I'd missed something.

Reply to Topic