Help Recommend a film.

Tools    

Have you ever went into a video store, and thought, "un-oh what do I rent"?
It happens to me, and i'm sure countless others.

I have seen A LOT of films, and since this is a movie forum, I bet you all have seen as much, if not more films than I.

So be a kind soul and recommend a film (or two), and help out your fellow film viewer. It can be that tiny indie film, foreign gem, or even big hollywood masterpiece that you cant stop talking about.

I'm sure this is good for collecting Karma, for that time when you reach Nirvana (not the band).

:

How about:

Kung Pow It's actually very funny1
The Green Mile Great film
Lord of The Rings W-O-W.
Mystery Science Theater 3000 Again, very funny!
Rope This is Hitchcock at it's greatest
Dial M For Murder Not very well known, but absolutely brilliant.

If you've seen these, just say so!

Of course!

Night of The Living Dead This one scares me to this day. Black and White, but sho cares!
Raider's of The Lost Ark Ford is a God in this one.

Again, if you've seen these, don't be afraid to say so! Enjoy!

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Here's some great movies that not too many people have seen:

Network - Vicious satire on the news-media and a damn fine movie.

Bob Roberts - Tim Robbins' best movie. He plays a shady politician/folk singer running for senate. Devastatingly funny.

Bamboozled - My favorite Spike Lee movie.

Cecil B. Demented - "Patch Adams doesn't DESERVE a director's cut! It was long enough already!" John Waters is a sick genius.

As you can tell, I like satire films. I honestly wouldn't recommend these to the folks that come into my video shop, but people here might get them....

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

You've probably seen almost all of my favorite films, but maybe not Instinct. Try it. I think it is the most underrated movie of all time.

Keep them coming. Personaly i've seen "LOTR"(good cinematography), "Bamboozled" (not bad, though Spike Lee's constant preaching gets annoying), "The Green Mile" (Shawshank's better),
"Raiders" (great action film), "Rounders" (Malkovich is great with the oreos).
"Cecil B Demented" (sorry, but this looks like it was all shot in one take...ala Ed Wood).
"Night Of The Living Dead" (I love the suprise sudden ending...shocking).

I'm going to be watching "Network" shortly.

Recommendations from me (if you wanted some) are

-"The Celebration", "Once Were Warriors", "Election", "Menace 2 Society", "Run Lola Run",...
also a good film that is hard to find is "The Traveller" (with Bill Paxton, and Mark Wahlberg).
I also liked "You Can Count On Me", of course "Evil Dead 2", and if you like comedy, try to find a film called "The Godson".

favourites for a friday night

Favourites:
Evil dead- 1,2-dead by dawn or 3-army of darkness

twisted humor:
Dogma , jay and silent bob strike back, mallratts,chasing amy, clerks,pulp fiction.

war( 'ish type ):
blackhawk down, platoon, high crimes, behind enemy lines, saving private ryan, casualties of war

other good ones:
snatch, along came a spider, alien ( s ), princess bride, lotr

1. Donnie Darko
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Kalifornia
4. Ghost World
5. We Were Soldiers
6. Body Double
7. The Man Who Wasn't There
8. The Royal Tenenbaums
9. Strange Days
10. Bringing Out the Dead

HAVE YOU SEEN ALL OF THESE?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I am having a nervous breakdance
  • Ring
    I just want to promote the original now when everybody's talking about the american remake. Personally I think the japanese version was very creepy.
  • La Pianiste
    Saw this very original and daring film yesterday. If you like challenging films and don't want movies done after the same old tireing forula, see this one. Warning for "odd" sex scenes!
  • Funny Games
    Directed, like La Pianiste by Michael Haneke and equally challenging. Violence is very often meaningless and that is what this movie is about (among other things).
  • The Killing
    One of Kubrick's least talked about movies but maybe one of his most influential ones. If you wonder where Tarantino got a lot of his inspiration, check this one out.
  • Rear Window
    Perhaps my favourite Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart is always enjoyable.
  • The Celebration
    Arguably the Dogme '95 film that gained the most from being done within that movement. The story is like nothing else and the way it's made just makes it more realistic and disturbing. Not a first-date-movie.
  • The Thin Red Line
    I of course have to put my favourite film here on this list. I'm sure you've seen it - if you haven't, you're mad. It kicks the **** ouf of Saving Private Ryan which, of course, stole the show at the Academy Awards that year.
  • No Such Thing
    A beautiful and funny tale by Hal Hartley. Humanity has sank so low that even the devil is disgusted by it. What is eerie is that it was made before 9-11. (You see what I mean if you see it).
  • Gummo
    Some people say they hate this film because it's "weird". I think it's admireable that someone like Harmony Korine makes a totally uncompromising film during an age when every god damned film is supposed to appeal to everyone from Granny, 83 yrs old, to John Jr, 8 yrs old.
  • Menace II Society
    Say what you want, to me this film felt real all the way through.

About Spike Lee's "preaching". Spike Lee is the only black super star filmmaker today (the only black "auteur" if you like). His films have a totally different approach and are about totally different things than the works of other directors. Also I believe he feels a responsibility to tell stories that noone else tells, and therefore some persons can experience his films as "preaching". I think his films are brilliant even - but also because - they raise a lot of problematic questions about a lot of things. I know other directors that on the surface are non political or non socially engaged but that are preaching the same conservative crap in film after film without anybody saying anything about it......

Follow the White Rabbit ...
Well, on a personal note, I'd recommend you try and see as many of Akira Kurosawa's earlier films as possible. You can't go wrong there

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally posted by Vyse
Well, on a personal note, I'd recommend you try and see as many of Akira Kurosawa's earlier films as possible. You can't go wrong there
Aaah, that's true! But you just can't miss two of which he did a little later on in his career: Ran and Dreams.

I have not seen "Instinct" yet.
I have seen that whole list Lord Slayton.. and its a very good one; though I have failed to see "We Were Soldiers"... maybe sometime.

I will have to check out the old version of the "Ring", because I keep hearing good things about it. For those of you looking for it, the correct spelling of the old one is "Ringu".

I'm also going to check out Kurosawa's "Yojimbo".

"Rear Window" was good, but my favourite Hitchcock film was "Strangers On A Train", I really never liked the way he coloured his films ie..green sweater, with a brown jacket, orange hat and a purple car.

I've never even heard of that "Castle of Cagliostro" film.

yada yada yada, thats all for now.

Cagliostro is an anime/manga film [one or the other] by the same guy that made the current animation hit, Spirited Away. Spielberg called Cagliostro one of the best action films in history.

And yeah. It is a really, really fun film to watch.

as much as i like miyazaki, and as much as i like lupin III (i'd guess monkeypunch is a fan too), i've gotta say i think cagliostro gets way too much recognition for what it is. it's great slapstick, but shoot, if all you want from the guy is physical humor, you'd be just as well, if not better off looking for some short series: sherlock hound in particular, and even some of the lupin III tv episodes that miyazaki directed and storyboarded (and yeah, all this stuff is available in the us).

as for the other stuff, i liked bamboozled too, but frankly, it borrows a little too heavily from network (which is on most counts a more impressive film) for me to really recomend it over the likes of, say, she's gotta have it, mo' better blues, clockers, and jungle fever.

while you're checking out yojimbo, dont forget to grab my personal fave of the genre, 'sanjuro'.

i havent seen gummo, pidzilla, but i have seen julien donkey boy...how do the two compare ((if at all?) which would win in a duel, etc etc)

Not really a fan of Anime is I. Wow, that kind of sounded like Frankenstein, after a night out with Kieth Richards.

I will check out "Sanjuro".. If i'm not mistaken it's the sequel to "Yojimbo". I also believe "Last Man Standing" was based on "Yojimbo", as well as some Clint Eastwood film.

My favourite Spike Lee film was "Do The Right Thing", it was his most brilliant work. Though I love watching The Sam Jackson scenes in "Jungle Fever".

In regards to "Julien Donkey Boy", if you liked "Gummo", you will get a kick out of it. I recommend though either watching it alone, or with other "film people". The improv is spectacular, Spud from Trainspotting does a really good job, and the father has some of the funniest scenes put to film.

My favourite is the scene when Spud's character tells his father a poem he wrote, and his father calls it crap. The father then goes on to describe a scene in "Dirty Harry" which he calls "real art". All in his German accent.
You will also get a kick out of the father drinking cough syrup out of a slipper, in his underwear.

I also (just to mention) found the films "Detroit Rock City" and "American Psycho" very underrated.

I don't think anyone has listed any of these yet...

1. Amelie
2. Sling Blade
3. Edward Scissorhands
4. Leon - The Professional
5. American History X
6. Braveheart
7. The Crow
8. Lady Hawke

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

yeah, i've also heard it said that sanjuro is the 'sequel' to yojimbo, but, much like the man with no name, mifune doesnt go by any temporal logic in picking his sequels....hmm, on reading what i just said, i'm not so sure it makes sense, but it sounds cool (like a spaghetti western preview), so i'll leave it be.... but between the two, i'd go sanjuro all the way (not that you shouldnt see yojimbo as well...)

re: do the right thing: that's one of my faves too, but i didnt say anything cause i just assumed you'd seen it based on your bamboozled reply.

re: julien donkey boy: i'm not sure if you were replying directly to me, but you may have misread, i did see julien donkey boy, but not gummo...and yeah, the nutty father (aptly played by the great director, werner herzog) was the best part.

havent seen detroit rock city, but if it's anything like red rock west (which i assume it is on account of a similar title), i'm there.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Originally posted by Travis_Bickle
"Cecil B Demented" (sorry, but this looks like it was all shot in one take...ala Ed Wood).
You've hit on part of why I liked it so much!

And yes, I'm a big fan of Lupin III. It is kind of hard to come by other flicks besides "Castle of Cagliostro", though...I have a bunch of not quite official vhs tapes of Lupin III (some jerk taped them off a Laser Disc, I think. Terrible picture quality....)