Charles Durning
Bernie Casey
Henry Silva
MUSIC
Snuff Garrett
DP
William A. Fraker
S Based on the book by William Diehi

This early 80's film noir is one of the few and best examples of a movie made better because it was directed by the star Burt Reynolds. Burt plays SHARKY a cop who likes to do things his own way and goes to far and gets demoted to the crapest postion on the police force undercover vice squad.Where he decides to go
after the biggest drug lord in the city. In this movie their is a pill poping maniac,high priced hookers, finger severing, ninjas the can't fight wortha dame, wire taping, car chases, foot chases and some exceptional cinematography by a very gifted Director of Photography William A.Fraker.

* VHS, LD, DVD

* Sharky's Machine Also carries undertones of a classic film noir called LAURA made in 1944 and was Directed by Otto Preminger and starts a young Vincent Price.

Sharky's Machine is easily the best film Reynolds ever directed (though that's not saying much), and I've always liked it. Stealing the plot device from Laura works well enough, I suspect largely because it doesn't become the focus of the entire narrative.

I've always thought of Sharky's Machine as basically Burt doing a Dirty Harry flick. He echos much of the style evident in his good buddy Clint's genre pics of the '70s (I'd say especially The Gauntlet, Eastwood's non-Callahan cop entry of that period). There's even a Jazz soundtrack, and the opening and closing credits are comprised of long tracking shots over the city (in Sharky's case, Atlanta, GA), both identifiably Eastwoodian trademarks.

Anyway, Burt has better overall success making a Dirty Harry flick than the actual final Dirty Harry pic (The Dead Pool in 1988).

Reynolds wisely surrounded himself with a strong cast, full of memorable character actors, from Brian Keith, Charles Durning & Bernie Casey to Richard Libertini & John Fielder. Henry Silva makes a lasting impression as the heavy (when doesn't he?), and Rachel Ward is, and always will be, one of the great screen beauties in my book (even if the early '80s style and hooker chic aren't especially flattering in most of this movie). I could definitely fall in love with her from afar, as Sharky does. As a matter of fact, I'm sure I have (that Bryan Brown is one lucky, Aussie S.O.B.)

The plotting is pretty standard stuff, but this is Burt's last really great toughguy role (ever suffer through latter mistakes like Rent-A-Cop, Malone, and Physical Evidence?), and that great cast alongside him elevates the material. The gritty, graphic style suits it perfectly, even if some parts do seem a tad dated by today's perspective.

Overall this is a good cop thriller from that period and still holds up today. Grade: B-

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanks Pike for putting your time and effort in telling me what you thought about the film I haven't posted here much but I can tell that we have some of the same tastes in films and that you know your stuff, always cool to know that there's another Burt fan out there and is even willing to watch some of his bad one like the ones you named as well your views on my reviews are bigger lol I love it. Thanks buddy

This was a really cool film IMHO. This was the finest book written by William Diehl. Burt was so cool in those days. I saw this movie and got my first burr haircut.

I liked the Venture Bros references.

Victim of The Night
Interesting.
I loved this movie as a teenager and saw it many, many times.
But when I re-watched it in just the last couple/few years, I actually panned the shit out of it, if I recall. Random ninjas? I think Henry Silva was the only thing that really worked for me here.
Wish I could find my review, I think I was on this site when I did it.