The Hobbit

Tools    

Yeah, I think its great too. Freeman was absolutely brilliant in the original Office. By far the funniest guy on the show next to Gervais.

Talented guy and a good choice I reckon.

He has been cast as Bilbo, and they've cast 8 other hobbits as well.
There aren't even 8 other hobbits in the book unless you mean dwarves. Maybe extras.

Casting news @ TheOneRing.net:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010...bbit%e2%80%9d/

Originally Posted by TheOneRing.net
Cate Blanchett will reprise her role from “Lord of The Rings” trilogy as Galadriel
Ken Stott will play the Dwarf Lord Balin
Sylvester McCoy will play the wizard Radagast the Brown
Mikael Persbrandt will play the shape-shifter Beorn
Ryan Gage will play Drogo Baggins
Jed Brophy playing the role of the dwarf Nori
William Kircher in the role of the dwarf Bifur.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I still don't see the need for having Frodo & Legolas in the film.
I'm sure the reason they are in the movie, is because people (unknowing of the book) won't know any different.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I imagine they're doing it to give the film a better sense of continuity and kinship to the other films, which I'm okay with. Their fiddling in the LOTR series was sensible enough that they've earned the benefit of the doubt on these sorts of tweaks, methinks.

I still have a little heartburn over some of the alterations to The Two Towers, but that's beside the point. So far, from what I've heard, any alterations being made are drawn from other Tolkien Middle-Earth works, so I'm ok with it. Really, reading the books, The Hobbit is very disjointed from The Lord of the Rings. This is largely due to it being an individual novel written for children, with the greater world of Middle-Earth not yet envisioned. Now, they have decades of source material to use to pull together a more cohesive feel.

The Hobbit already has loads of characters & now they're adding more popular ones from LOTR.
Even more curious to see how this shapes up.

I also wonder if this will end up keeping a similar tone as the LOTR films, The books did have different styles.

"Live forever or die trying"
I don't know if you can say hated, that's almost slander. The movie seems like its being made for money, the film should have been made first then the trilogy, all this prequel crap is getting on my nerves lol.

The Hobbit isn't a prequel.

If the accounts are still true then the bulk of the book will be covered in the first film and then during the second part, if you will, that's where one might get the "prequel" feel to it. That's also where I expect we'll see Legolas and Frodo more than perhaps, just in passing during The Hobbit's main feature.

Frodo has basically got to be in the beginning, no? Legolas will probably appear somewhere at the end of part I or the beginning of part II---depending on the spread---when they are all captured by the elves.

"Barrels Out of Bonds" that's the chapter isn't it?

But Frodo isn't in The Hobbit really! Its all about Bilbo!

In the Beginning...
From The Hollywood Reporter:

'The Hobbit' Films Get Release Dates and Titles

Peter Jackson's two upcoming movies based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit have now been given official names and release dates.

The first of the two films, which are currenly being filmed back to back in New Zealand, will be called The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey when it arrives in theaters via Warners on Dec. 14, 2012.

The sequel, which will follow on Dec. 13, 2013, will be known as The Hobbit: There and Back Again.

The two prequels to Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy follow the adventures of Bilbo Baggins -- to be played by Martin Freeman, with Ian Holm reprising his role as the elder Bilbo -- in his quest to reclaim the lost Dwarf Kingdom of Erebor from the dragon Smaug.

The sprawling cast includes a number of other Rings veterans: Ian McKellen as Gandalf the Grey; Cate Blanchett as Galadriel; Orlando Bloom as Legolas; Christopher Lee as Saruman; Hugo Weaving as Elrond; Elijah Wood as Frodo; and Andy Serkis as Gollum.

Jackson has written the screenplays along with Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro, and he is also producing with Walsh and Carolynne Cunningham.

I remember back when I'd hear release dates for highly anticipated films that were one or two years off, and despair at how long I'd have to wait. But now I hear that date -- just 18 months from now -- and I'm thrilled at how close it seems.

In the Beginning...
You're a more patient man than I. Anything over a year and I groan. This is, frankly, the first couple of films in a long time to truly jazz me up... and I'll see the month of December come around twice before the first one is here! Arrggh

If this project was happening without all the major cast, crew, and department heads that worked on LOTR, though, my excitement would be diminished. It just wouldn't have felt right to do The Hobbit without the original folks.

I like those titles. They give me hope that he (Peter Jackson) may really be devoting an entire 6 to 7 hours of film to the actual Hobbit book. I hope so. There's soooo much that happens in that little book. Even a four hour extended version won't cover it. I can't wait to see some trailers!

It just wouldn't have felt right to do The Hobbit without the original folks.
That just seems weird to read since The Hobbit takes place decades before LOTR, and was written first, and only a few of the same characters (Bilbo, Gandalf, Gollum) even appear in the story. Not to argue the sentiment - just sayin'.