Acting performances that surprised you

Tools    

I don't have an issue, he is what he is, I'm just not expecting movie greatness.

The Prime Gig was worth a watch. I own Swingers. Wedding Crashers was ok. The Internship sucked. I didn't care for Made or Unfinished Business. I try looking for him in serious roles, which is why I was excited about season two of True Detective. At least Colin Farrell delivered a stellar performance, so, it was still enjoyable.
A Cool, Dry Place is the ticket for a serious VV. Movie could have been better but he still does good work.

Leonardo di Caprio. I thought he was a weak actor and was actually very surprised to find out how good he was in The Departed. Also later in The Wolf of Wall Street.
Interesting how people have differing views. First time I saw him was in A Boy's Life (1993). I said to my husband that Leonardo would be a huge star. I was right & I think he still is.

I was quite amazed by Mark Wahlberg playing a degenerate gambler in The Gambler. Not because he played a gambler, but because his character was actually an English Professor. Wahlberg really pulled it off & it's an excellent movie.

Interesting how people have differing views. First time I saw him was in A Boy's Life (1993). I said to my husband that Leonardo would be a huge star. I was right & I think he still is.
I think I saw him as a child star and that he wouldn't make it as a grown up. I was wrong - he's a wonderful actor even if I think he's a total idiot in real life, lol!

BTW, I think I was the only woman in the world who's never seen Titanic. I mean, I took one look at that baby face who looked 12-years old and thought: romantic lead? No way!

I think I saw him as a child star and that he wouldn't make it as a grown up. I was wrong - he's a wonderful actor even if I think he's a total idiot in real life, lol!

BTW, I think I was the only woman in the world who's never seen Titanic. I mean, I took one look at that baby face who looked 12-years old and thought: romantic lead? No way!

Why is he a "total idiot in real life"?

Titanic is an excellent movie. From a woman's POV and as an immigrant to America, I loved how we knew that Rose would survive once she got off the ship in NYC.

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
I mean, I took one look at that baby face who looked 12-years old and thought: romantic lead? No way!

Yeah, that baby face thing keeps coming up here and there. I can't take him too seriously in grown-up roles.

Why is he a "total idiot in real life"?

Titanic is an excellent movie. From a woman's POV and as an immigrant to America, I loved how we knew that Rose would survive once she got off the ship in NYC.
Can't stand his hypocritical millionaire pontificating about climate change. Yup, go lecture a mother of 5 about not using her car while grocery shopping and make her feel guilty about her carbon footprint while Mr. Hollywood Star takes a private plane to the climate change conference and stays in his million dollar house which he bought in another country and which he uses once every three years. Give me a break! :

Still not interested in Titanic for some reason. He looks even younger in the movie now, lol. Besides, I already know the ending

Yeah, that baby face thing keeps coming up here and there. I can't take him too seriously in grown-up roles.
You know what? He looks almost portly now. His face has thickened and filled out a lot. He looks very much middle aged though he's still only 43.

and stays in his million dollar house which he bought in another country and which he uses once every three years.
Why does that bother you?

Why does that bother you?
Because it's hypocritical? You lecture others on climate change and then your luxurious lifestyle carbon footprint is bigger than that left by a small village in the third world? And that's just getting to and from the conference.

Because it's hypocritical? You lecture others on climate change and then your luxurious lifestyle carbon footprint is bigger than that left by a small village in the third world? And that's just getting to and from the conference.
So your own carbon footprint is small? Friendly question - just curious.

So your own carbon footprint is small? Friendly question - just curious.
Lol, I have no idea what my carbon footprint is. Nor do I care because I think all of that is just a bunch of crap only meant to justifiy upping our taxes. Is the climate changing? Definitely. Is it something new? No, the climate has always changed and it always will - It's never been static. Do I believe it's due to human intervention? Nope, not on your life!

Lol, I have no idea what my carbon footprint is. Nor do I care because I think all of that is just a bunch of crap only meant to justifiy upping our taxes. Is the climate changing? Definitely. Is it something new? No, the climate has always changed and it always will - It's never been static. Do I believe it's due to human intervention? Nope, not on your life!
You're confusing. You worry about Leonardo's carbon footprint, but not your own. And now you say you don't care anyway about carbon footprint.

A while back, Citizen Rules asked if John Denver was good in Oh God! He was. He was totally believable as an average guy and you immediately forgot he was John Denver (for those of you old enough to know who John Denver was).

Sometimes singers turned actors aren't always as good at the latter, but in this case, Denver pulled off the movie with a very believable performance (in a somewhat hard to believe movie).

You're confusing. You worry about Leonardo's carbon footprint, but not your own. And now you say you don't care anyway about carbon footprint.
No, I said he was a hypocrite because he obviously believes in it and goes around the world lecturing everyone else about it when his luxurious lifestyle carbon footprint is probably bigger than a small third world village. I'm sure they invented some way to measure said carbon footprint and he totally believes in it. I don't believe in it but then I don't go around trying to convince anyone else to live their life a different way because of it.

A while back, Citizen Rules asked if John Denver was good in Oh God! He was. He was totally believable as an average guy and you immediately forgot he was John Denver (for those of you old enough to know who John Denver was).

Sometimes singers turned actors aren't always as good at the latter, but in this case, Denver pulled off the movie with a very believable performance (in a somewhat hard to believe movie).
John Denver was in a movie? I didn't know that... he was one of the best singers of the 70’s - unforgettable music. He was also one do the first conservationists I ever heard about. Still miss him.

John Denver was in a movie? I didn't know that... he was one of the best singers of the 70’s - unforgettable music. He was also one do the first conservationists I ever heard about. Still miss him.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076489/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Although I thought it was Paul Sorvino as a TV Evangelist who really stole the scenes he was in...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076489/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Although I thought it was Paul Sorvino as a TV Evangelist who really stole the scenes he was in...

Lol, the plot sounds dreadful but maybe it's good. I presume it's a comedy? Haven't thought about George Burns for years - he must have died decades ago.

Lol, the plot sounds dreadful but maybe it's good. I presume it's a comedy? Haven't thought about George Burns for years - he must have died decades ago.
Yes, a comedy from 1977. A cute family film. It had two sequels, both of which I saw but can't remember (except that they weren't good and couldn't compare to the first one - in the third one "Oh God, You Devil" George Burns played both God and Satan!)

BTW, George Burns died in 1996 at age 100!

Yes, a comedy from 1977. A cute family film. It had two sequels, both of which I saw but can't remember (except that they weren't good and couldn't compare to the first one - in the third one "Oh God, You Devil" George Burns played both God and Satan!)

BTW, George Burns died in 1996 at age 100!
Yeah, had to be something like that. When I was very young he was already as old as the hills, lol.