Stanley Kubrick
0%
0 votes
Yasujiro Ozu
4.17%
1 votes
Federico Fellini
24 votes. You may not vote on this poll

But, like, who cares about statistics, just watch the movies...
welp fine then, i happen to find it interesting

The poll allready closed but I would have voted for Akira Kurosawa.
He was a true visionary and his movies inspired countless film makers and they will continue to do so.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
AdamHanks was on the site this long ago?! Maybe it was the lack of a picture that made him seem more like a momentary troll.

Also, where was I for this poll, Ozu has no votes!

I don't know if it's because they are Asian which makes them seem less "influential" than the so-called "pioneers". I'm pretty sure that Edward Yang and Hou Hsiao Hsien are highly influential in Asian cinema, at least paving the way for future directors from the region to overturn decades of Eurocentrism.
Someone mentioned not understanding Ozu's influence on cinema. While his style is too subdued for it to be massively popular, and I've still yet to see any other director whose editing resembles Ozu's, there are several directors that seem clearly influenced by him. Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Edward Yang and Hirokazu Kore-eda are the prime examples of Ozu influenced cinema. The other connections are less prominent, but Aki Kaurismaki, Claire Denis, Wim Wenders, Abbas Kiarostami to name a few all are influenced by and have deep respect for Ozu.

i suppose there are some flaws to just looking at quantity of films here... considering Woody Allen's average ranking for his 14 films in Flickchart's Top 1000 is right around 530

whereas Spielberg's average for his 14 films is right around 251

Woody has none in the top 100... Spielberg has 7 in the top 100, which is more than many very good directors have in the top 1000 of this list
Though that list has a super strong pro-western bias. For instance, there are only 4 anime movies in that list.

And yes, Spielberg is obviously a much more important and influential director than Woody Allen.

I don't know if it's because they are Asian which makes them seem less "influential" than the so-called "pioneers". I'm pretty sure that Edward Yang and Hou Hsiao Hsien are highly influential in Asian cinema, at least paving the way for future directors from the region to overturn decades of Eurocentrism.
What do you mean overturn? The golden age of Japanese cinema was in the 1950's, for instance. The number of Asian/Western films in these top lists is a function of source: if you use American film buffs as a source you will get an mostly American top films list, if you use film buffs/critics from other places you will get wildly different lists.

The list that Nostromo used, for instance, is an american list made primarily by the tastes of North American voters.

Someone mentioned not understanding Ozu's influence on cinema. While his style is too subdued for it to be massively popular
Ozu is massively popular. In the 1950's he was like Cameron in the Japanese box office.

And Ozu's influence on modern film is gigantic. Though it can be difficult to notice what is in his films that he invented. But continuity of modern Japanese film with Ozu's is obvious.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
And Ozu's influence on modern film is gigantic. Though it can be difficult to notice what is in his films that he invented. But continuity of modern Japanese film with Ozu's is obvious.
Care to elaborate on his obvious influence since it's really obvious?