Documentary HOF Part 2

Tools    

I'm not participating in this HoF, but I just want to share my love for King of Kong. One of my favorite documentaries, but most importantly, one of the most fun and entertaining. The way that director Seth Gordon manages to successfully build the rivalry between the "underdog" and the "arrogant champion" is quite brilliant; especially when post-documentary incidents have proved that Billy Mitchell *is* indeed that much of a douchey assh*le

Marrying an ex wife’s daughter?

Pretty sure I didn’t have to explain that but here we are.
That wasn't what I was talking about and also...that didn't happen.

Strange in your review you claimed it was an info dump and yet the film clearly lays out that Mia and Woody were never married, Mia didn't live with Soon Yi, Soon Yi lived with Andre Previns. The Previns took Mia in after her relationship with Frank Sinatra ended and she claimed she was being abused. Then surprise Mia ended up pregnant with Andre's children and Dory Previn(Mia's friend who took her in) ended up in a mental institution.

Which leads to the basis of the film...did Woody molest a seven year old Dylan Farrow.

Strange in your review you claimed it was an info dump and yet the film clearly lays out that Mia and Woody were never married, Mia didn't live with Soon Yi, Soon Yi lived with Andre Previns. The Previns took Mia in after her relationship with Frank Sinatra ended and she claimed she was being abused. Then surprise Mia ended up pregnant with Andre's children and Dory Previn(Mia's friend who took her in) ended up in a mental institution.

Which leads to the basis of the film...did Woody molest a seven year old Dylan Farrow.
My bad. I do forget they weren’t married but they were together a long time and had children, so that’s semantics.

I definitely missed the part where Soon Yi didn’t live with Mia? It was her adopted daughter and there was the abuse allegations against Mia. I’m definitely confused about that.

Trouble with a capital "T"
I once called Woody a perv for marrying his own adopted step daughter. I was wrong of course as Siddon once pointed out to me on another thread...and that's a huge part of why society thinks Woody is a perv, as so many of us think Soon-Yi was Woody's adopted daughter and think Woody was married to Mia. Neither are true but like mud thrown on a politician, that stink has stuck on Woody and he's now labeled 'pervy'.

Strange in your review you claimed it was an info dump and yet the film clearly lays out that Mia and Woody were never married, Mia didn't live with Soon Yi,
Regardless of this or that, Allen and Farrow were indeed in a 10-year relationship that started right after she adopted Soon-Yi. Ten-ish years later, he started a relationship with Soon-Yi. Regardless of whether or not there was any abuse or illegality, the relationship itself is still a pretty f*cked up thing to do. Personally, I'm quite indifferent to his work (only seen three of his films, only loved one), but I seriously don't blame anyone who prefers to stay away from his work because of his personal life choices.

I never thought Soon Yi was Woody’s daughter.

I did used to think he was married to Mia, have been told not way before watching this doc, but they were together over a decade and had children together so I don’t know that they weren’t technically married is a…technicality.

Soon Yi not living with Mia is new information for me even after watching the doc. She adopted her and has abuse allegations regarding Soon Yi. So if she didn’t live with her the abuse allegations are more than a little confusing. I’m not finding anything to that effect so waiting to hear back from Siddon.

So, I’m nor sure I know anyone that wouldn’t think it pretty messed ip, even if legal, that an ex partner would marry their adopted child.

Woody’s “I hardly knew her” defense sounds a lot like Trump saying he doesn’t know his lawyers that get arrested.

The whole situation is just so freaking bizarre, and Mia also being weird doesn’t make Woody less so. Just because something is legal doesn’t make it normal.

Regardless of this or that, Allen and Farrow were indeed in a 10-year relationship that started right after she adopted Soon-Yi. Ten-ish years later, he started a relationship with Soon-Yi. Regardless of whether or not there was any abuse or illegality, the relationship itself is still a pretty f*cked up thing to do...I seriously don't blame anyone who prefers to stay away from his work because of his personal life choices.
When I was in high school in the late 70s people said the exact same thing about gay relationships, which caused a lot of gay people great harm.

I thought we had grown beyond that in the 21st century but I guess not, we're still judgemental and if society says something is OK to demonize, we'll do it.

Soon-Yi and Woody's relationship might not be our cup of tea and we might not understand it but they are two adults who apparently love each other. They are entitled to do what they want.

When I was in high school in the late 70s people said the exact same thing about gay relationships, which caused a lot of gay people great harm.

I thought we had grown beyond that in the 21st century but I guess not, we're still judgemental and if society says something is OK to demonize, we'll do it.

Soon-Yi and Woody's relationship might not be our cup of tea and we might not understand it but they are two adults who apparently love each other. They are entitled to do what they want.
Whoa, I'm not sure what to make of that parallelism you're trying to pull by the hair. One thing has literally nothing to do with the other so I won't even address that.

When I say the relationship is "pretty f*cked up", I meant starting a relationship with the adopted daughter of the woman you've been together for 10 years. Sure, they're adults, and they can do whatever they want, but it is still a pretty f*cked up thing to do to your adopted mother and to your partner of 10 years/mother of your children.

Anyone else ever watch Clueless and at the end think, okay technically I guess that’s alright but it sure feels gross? That’s how I feel about Woody Allen.

Like him as a director and screenwriter, still watch his movies. Think he’s got a wobbly moral compass.

Doesn’t mean I know what to make of the Dylan stuff. Doesn’t mean I think Mia isn’t another wack issue. Sure don’t think it makes me homophobic.

Whoa, I'm not sure what to make of that parallelism you're trying to pull by the hair. One thing has literally nothing to do with the other so I won't even address that.
Each does have something to do with the other. Simply this: at one time gay relationships were ridiculed and hated by the general public. I'm old enough to remember that. Luckily that has changed for the gay community but the idea that a legal relationship that isn't what we're pesonally use to can still be demonized draws a parallel between the way society once treated gay relationships...and the way people are treating Allens and Soon-Yi relationship today.

When I say the relationship is "pretty f*cked up", I meant starting a relationship with the adopted daughter of the woman you've been together for 10 years. Sure, they're adults, and they can do whatever they want, but it is still a pretty f*cked up thing to do to your adopted mother and to your partner of 10 years/mother of your children.
People back in the day would say the same type of thing about gay relationships, they might say it's hurtful to the families or something else like that. But what they were really doing is condemning adults for living their lives. It's not our business to judge.

That's no answer, that's what people do when they don't want to engage.
I've engaged, but you're doubling down on a parallelism that, as far as I'm concerned, has no bearing whatsoever to the issue being discussed and I won't let myself be dragged down that route.

I've engaged, but you're doubling down on a parallelism that, as far as I'm concerned, has no bearing whatsoever to the issue being discussed and I won't let myself be dragged down that route.
Actually you posted a silly meme to try knock my idea that has validity. I would've respected a simple "we'll have to agree to disagree."

I’m still waiting on the Mia didn’t live with Soon Yi info, because now I’m thinking about all the Mia treated the adopted kids like slaves allegations.

Actually you posted a silly meme to try knock my idea that has validity. I would've respected a simple "we'll have to agree to disagree."
Hey, that's not a "silly meme", that's Mr. Jerry Seinfeld, sir; and I unleashed it after two instances of you trying to equate two things that are not even in the same ballpark. Damn right I'm knocking that down. My arguments are there on my posts before the "silly meme" for anyone that wants to address them.

I never thought Soon Yi was Woody’s daughter.

I did used to think he was married to Mia, have been told not way before watching this doc, but they were together over a decade and had children together so I don’t know that they weren’t technically married is a…technicality.

Soon Yi not living with Mia is new information for me even after watching the doc. She adopted her and has abuse allegations regarding Soon Yi. So if she didn’t live with her the abuse allegations are more than a little confusing. I’m not finding anything to that effect so waiting to hear back from Siddon.
I don't think Mia and Woody ever cohabited at any point in their relationship.

Mia/Previn household was three biological sons: twins Matthew and Sascha (born February 26, 1970),[190] and Fletcher they then adopted Lark Song Previn and Summer "Daisy" Song Previn and Soon Yi and this was in 1977.

1980 was when Mia dumped Andre and she adopted Moses, in 85 she adopted Dylan (the accuser), and in 87 Woody's biological son came along and that's Ronan. Unless it was Frank Sinatra's kid.

The abuse allegations happened on Farrow's compound in Connecticut. Where she beat Soon Yi with a phone when she was an older teenager and stripped Moses naked infront of his siblings.

Soon Yi and Woody hooked up I believe when Soon Yi started college.

But then again we keep talking about this relationship while ignoring the claims of a seven year old being molested. And if it's right to hound someone until the day they die (he's 87 years old) even though we have all of this exculpatory evidence.

Hey, that's not a "silly meme", that's Mr. Jerry Seinfeld, sir; and I unleashed it after two instances of you trying to equate two things that are not even in the same ballpark. Damn right I'm knocking that down. My arguments are there on my posts before the "silly meme" for anyone that wants to address them.
I thought we were done but now I need to re-explain as you stated categorical that I'm wrong, so:

I'm NOT comparing being gay to Woody & Soon Yi's relationship.

I AM comparing the way society once was uncomfortable with gay relationships so wrongly called them names, just as people are today uncomfortable with Woody & Soon Yi's relationship and are calling them names. That's easy enough to understand.