Best Noir film of all time

Tools    

and any movie with Bogart

damn ,so many great noir movies(Chinatown,Double Indemnity,The Last Seduction ,Blue Velvet,Angel Heart as well)

Chinatown

I haven't seen a whole lot of noir, a famous one I didn't really get Detour
Found it bland, and untouching, felt as cheap as its budget

Brick, Blue velvet and Touch of Evil are wonderfuls noirs, and all round films

I kinda breezed through the whole thread and didnt see Devil In a Blue Dress mentioned.

I also didnt see LA Confidential(Im sure it classifies as noir)

Oh yeah and Chinatown was awesome. Just had to throw it out there.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Definitely The Third Man and Chinatown. As much as I love Touch of Evil for its perfect cinematography, Carol Reed's film just classic poetry to me. And Polanski one ups the genre as a whole by a significant margin. I'm not sure if Lynch's films can be considered noir, though they're certainly inspired by them, I tend to keep them in a separate place, a genre of their own really. Surrealist noir maybe.

Night of the hunter.

I might class La Confidential as noir. As for a noir definition, I would say that key elements are a cynical protagonist, a femme fatale, moody cinematography and themes of moral ambiguity and corruption. For this reason, I wouldn't describe Taxi Driver as noir, as Travis is very much the innocent. Film noir protagonists are usually anti-heroes.

The Stranger with Orson Welles

Or maybe
Build my gallows high, think that it was released as out of the past in the U.S
Think the black and white noir movies were always the best. Great atmosphere.

I wouldn't call Taxi Driver, The Third Man or Night of the Hunter noir as well as a few other films mentioned.

I would say my top 4, maybe in order.

The Long Goodbye

Chinatown

In a Lonely Place (also The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon)

Touch of Evil

Well, those are exactly my favorite noir films, Daniel (but in a slightly different order).

1. Chinatown
2. The Third Man
3. Touch of Evil
4. The Long Goodbye
5. In a Lonely Place
6. The Maltese Falcon

Not including some films that may be regarded as noir films by some people here, like Taxi Driver or Bladerunner.

I also want to mention this modern (sort of) neo-noir film from the Coen Brothers:

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

Well, those are exactly my favorite noir films, Daniel (but in a slightly different order).

I also want to mention this modern (sort of) neo-noir film from the Coen Brothers:

The Man Who Wasn't There (2001)

I really need to see that film. Started watching it once but had to do something, stopped and must have missed it. The cinematography is beautiful, I love the B&W and widescreen combination, feels like a proper noir and I'm a fan of Thornton, McDormand, Gandolfini etc.

Going to have to finally see it sooner rather than later

The best noir movie is Double Indemnity