Godzilla Returning to the Big Screen

Tools    

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
The human acting was pretty dire. Bryan Cranston was hardly in it - I think that was defiantely a bit of a con as he was very prominant in the trailers. Ken Wantanabe spent the whole film popping up over someone's shoulder with the same expression on his face thoughout the whole film - what a waste of a decent actor. Aaron Taylor Johnson can't act for toffee, and I hope Sally Hawkins and Juliet Binoche got paid lots of money for their woman standing around roles

Having said all that the monster fights were great and Gojiro was endearingly dog like. I'm glad we went to see it on the big screen so we got the full effect of the fights, but the monsters outshone the actors big time.
I just posted my review in me review thread if your interested.

I won't talk about the monsters, it seems to be getting enough attention already. If you are going for a smoldering reveal, you have to have to keep the audience engaged until then.
Aaron Taylor Johnson seems to have traded any acting skill for his physique. Ken Watanabe alternating from squinting to quizzical looks. The contrast to Cranston's portrayal as the father made it appear that the actors were from different films. I was left looking at my watch instead of the film.
I understand the homage aspect and how the original movies unfolded. However, I can't justify a summer tent-pole taking this approach and expecting it to work in this day and age.

It's surprising to hear about the acting as the acting from the two leads in Monsters was good and he even got some nice natural acting out of nearly all the non actors too. So yes, bit disappointing to hear about the acting...

Out of all the reviews I seen though I've not seen anything bad about the acting, just a waste of actors.

The acting is dull but the rest of the movie is even worse. I wasn't even that impressed by the action/effects. The majority of monster fight set-pieces take place in the background of the most half-assed human interest tripe since, I dunno... Battleship? It's not impossible to do a good sentimental giant monster spectacle - I think Peter Jackson's King Kong is pretty awesome - but Godzilla is just an extended save-the-cat moment.

Considering the hype that was built up leading upto the release, I felt the movie was a let-down. It is supposed to be a make-believe science fiction type of story, still Godzilla and the MUTOs seemed made up of plastic, such sharp edges and so artificial..

Eventually if they keep making em, they'll make a good one. It's just mathematical.
Which ones were ever really "good though" (not counting any obvious nostalgia factors). They were all just cheesy, entertaining films - I don't think they were trying to be "good".

I haven't seen the 1998 American Godzilla (I might give it a watch when I get the chance), I just get a little ticked off whenever I perceive a compulsive backlash against a sequel/remake just because it's "not the original". I'd be interested in reading a comprehensive review on why the 1998 Godzilla film is critically so much worse than a film as cheesy as say, King Kong vs. Godzilla (which I actually did see) but I think most of the initial hate here is just coming from pure nostalgia and a compulsive backlash based on the mere fact that it's "not the same" as they remember when they were a kid.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Which ones were ever really "good though" (not counting any obvious nostalgia factors). They were all just cheesy, entertaining films - I don't think they were trying to be "good".

I haven't seen the 1998 American Godzilla (I might give it a watch when I get the chance), I just get a little ticked off whenever I perceive a compulsive backlash against a sequel/remake just because it's "not the original". I'd be interested in reading a comprehensive review on why the 1998 Godzilla film is critically so much worse than a film as cheesy as say, King Kong vs. Godzilla (which I actually did see) but I think most of the initial hate here is just coming from pure nostalgia and a compulsive backlash based on the mere fact that it's "not the same" as they remember when they were a kid.
I've only ever seen the 1998 Godzilla, and the new one. So for me, it's not because it doesn't live up to the old ones when I was a kid. It's just because they both suck.

I've only ever seen the 1998 Godzilla, and the new one. So for me, it's not because it doesn't live up to the old ones when I was a kid. It's just because they both suck.
I wasn't talking about you in particular. I grew up seeing a lot of the classic Toho Godzilla films, and critic-wise most of them pretty much suck (as much as I loved them as a kid).

I'd have to see the 1998 one to make a judgment call, but I can't imagine it being any worse than some of those old Toho films - I just feel like in general there's an unfair backlash to any attempt at a remake/reboot etc just because it's "not the original".

I like to keep an open mind since there are some remakes/reboots which definitely surpass the original films (ex. I think the Bond film remakes with Daniel Craig are a lot more enjoyable and better made than many of the older Bond films, especially the Roger Moore ones).

Must be doin sumthin right
This was bad but what I really resented about it was how it tried to position itself as somehow classier than the equally dumb and pointless Transformers/Pacific Rim/etc.

Must be doin sumthin right
I'm at the point now with these summer movies where for the most part I'd rather get drunk and watch a big silly one than some of these Nolan-inspired super grim affairs. Doesn't help that they all have the added bonus of feeling like they've been rewritten a dozen different times by half a dozen different writers for the purpose of ensuring there's not an ounce of surprise or personality left in in them. This movie reminded me most of World War Z in that regard - especially with its terribly paced/edited globe trotting. World War Z at least was more coherent and had the fun Scotland WHO facility bit.

Max
The reboot of godzilla by Gareth Edwards is really boring. The script is far from being good and Godzilla has gained weight and lost his charisma. In short, a spectacular entertainment, hyper-calibrated. A film for the "pleasure of the moment." Luckily the performance of Bryan Cranston is here to raise the level...