The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Freaking great list so far!

I'm in Sicily at the moment and my internet in this hotel isn't perfect (luckily I'm going to another one tomorrow), so I don't have time yet to comment on every film I've seen (I definitely will in one of the upcoming days, though).

The only film from my list that made it so far is Blow-Up, which was my #19. I read through the thread and I think Mark made a pretty good description of the film's effect (on me personally) and its atmosphere. Unique cinema!

Red Desert at #15. First from my list to make it.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Finished here. It's been fun.
Red Desert? More like Rad Desert. Am I rite bros?

Seen both, two very good films from two very great directors. Through a glass darkly isn't one of my favorite Bergman films personally, but it is a very powerful study of mental illness. It's my least favorite of his "faith" trilogy as I think its called, but that only goes to show how strong the other two films are.

Love Red Desert. Its Antonioni being Antonioni, so yeah. Monica Vitti is quite a dame.

Wow, really surprised to see Red Desert rank higher on the list than Blow-Up, since the latter always seem to be a lot more canonized. Wonder what it means for his other 60s movies on this countdown, like L'Avventura? My love and appreciation for Antonioni's films has only grew stronger and stronger the more I've watched them.

Based on how much I've heard it mentioned I think L'Avventura will still come. I also thought Blow-up would be his highest though

I just checked and can't find it.
You voted for neither but you were correct that you had Blow-Up at #6, I'll get you your full list sent to you today mate

I've seen neither of these films. I've only seen L'Avventura from Antonioni, and I consider it to be a fantastic film, I just haven't got round to anything else. These two that have appeared on my list look the most exciting, I knew Mark and Swan were big fans of Blow-Up, and that Nemanja and TokeZa were big fans of Red Desert, and its visual look always appealed to me. I have The Passenger recorded, so that will probably be the first Antonioni film I get to next though.

Bergman is a director I like a lot too, I've seen a few of his films, but this isn't one of them. It looks like something I'd definitely enjoy. There's a load of films about mental illness that I want to watch, it's a subject I'm very interested in.

Let the night air cool you off
You voted for neither but you were correct that you had Blow-Up at #6, I'll get you your full list sent to you today mate
Any chance you could send my list to me as well?

Let the night air cool you off
2. The Human Condition III: A Soldier's Prayer [#95]
25.The Outrageous Baron Munchausen [One pointer]

Here's how my votes have fared so far, now that I actually know for sure how I voted. Not much activity yet.

Red Desert is a great film. Like a fair few Antonioni films it was certainly in consideration at one point but nothing came of it in the end. There was only one Bergman film that I actually considered putting on my list, that ultimately didn't make the cut either, but I'm sure we'll see it further up the list.

You can't be surprised. No, I've only seen three, I think (L'Avventura, Blow Up and Zabriske Point but I can't be sure if I made it to the end or not. Probably not as I know I tried to watch it at least twice) but they've bored me greatly. I'm not saying that I can't like anything he's done, simply that there's nothing I've seen from him or know about other films that makes me think I'm going to. I might be wrong, though. Maybe Il Grido or La Notte will be the one which I like?

I had Red Desert somewhere on my list. Here's my Movie Tab comment on it from several years ago:

Red Desert (Antonioni, 1964)

This is an effective movie in that I think a large part of its intention is to collapse personal, social and environmental observation into an aesthetic critique of industrialization. The commentary is mostly in images and the excellent use of sound rather than in people or plot, so a lot of viewers will mistakenly think this is "pretentious" (a word I almost never use and never use pejoratively), but I think this message comes across pretty clearly and effectively. It even seems like a propaganda film to me. It uses color, form and sound to convey a feeling that this 1960s industrial Italy is corroding people's abilities to connect to the world or each other and perhaps even their minds and bodies. It even literally sucks the color out of organic forms when they're placed in an oppressive concrete place.

This is all a set up for a contrast with a woman's inner world that is pretty much the exact opposite of the real but is made to seem much more real in it's lushness and calm, here too the use of sound is very stong. The movie seems somewhat slow due to its lack of plot but I'm willing to allow that because it really is an aesthetically powerful and memorable film.

I go on vacation for a couple weeks, yet not one of my choices has made it in the first twenty reveals. Eh, I'm making this a permanent vacation.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra