Lets Talk Football

Tools    

Other top managers like klop amd pochetinno seems quiet already comfort with their current seat
I must admit I quite like the way Pochettino keeps people guessing . He's just signed a new contract but he's saying "If Real call, I'd have to listen".
real probably still can lure him out, it's just the timing was he already invested some time for build current totenham with such positive trend (and probablybmore to come) . Real must make offer he cant refuse tho' yeah madrid job itsekf already sound tempting

real probably still can lure him out, it's just the timing was he already invested some time for build current totenham with such positive trend (and probablybmore to come) . Real must make offer he cant refuse tho' yeah madrid job itsekf already sound tempting
I think he should stay with Tottenham anyway but they've got to win something next season. In a way it's like Germany constantly being pipped to the post by Spain even though they had an incredible team for a decade. It was really unlucky for them in the season that Leicester won but they thoroughly deserved it.

I like how people try to undermined someone achievement, It's like pep meme couple of years back.
Not that i state zidane is already/will standing among the best nor that he's already prove himself on certain category like coaching in more challenging -by such romanticism- place/league. but credit to him for established those harlem globetrotter to play chess together as not all top manager could succes to do so, then three consecutive CL. There this challenge like regenerate that team for example but it seems his introvert nature akready shown. He will succes somewhere else or next time? Who know, but lot of ppl not that succes with trophy but still called manager for obvious reason
Pep is a very different manager. His Barcelona was without a doubt one of the most spectacular teams of all time, because the man is a genius! He knows how to handle a lockerroom, he knows how to build a team from scratch if he needs it, he can develop young players and he's tactically perfect.
yet there were always ppl undermined him for what he's done at barca - for whatever reason- and even till now like why he just lurk into job at club with elite rep(munchen) or somekind of unlimited budget(man city) - etc which in the end just lead to "there no true scottman" argument

I see ZZ having success as a national manager, but not as a team manager, especially in struggling teams like was ManUn when Mourinho got there.

And we can't forget how Madrid won the CL this year... They were one of the less deserving teams of the last 8 and benefitted from a very unusual amount of incredible mistakes from the referees and other teams' players, against Juve, Bayern and Liverpool... And I won't start describing what Ramos did...
i dont think they are not deserve recent CL just because other club out of luck, as there could be ton of story like that if we trace history back.
Last season showcase his current limitation i think. his only peak so far was when he won that double when they literally outdone everyone, especially tactic wise against agaim the main rival barca.
Interestung idea as just been mentioned previous post, i would like too to see him manage national team as it not week in week out or not fall for such routine, sound likely suit his nature

I think he should stay with Tottenham anyway but they've got to win something next season. In a way it's like Germany constantly being pipped to the post by Spain even though they had an incredible team for a decade. It was really unlucky for them in the season that Leicester won but they thoroughly deserved it.
funny season actually. Im a gooner(more like pseudo one ) but somehow i still felt funny we got 2nd position at the end where totenham more impressive .
Win PL kinda hard talk the rough competition to even make big four, Pochetino must assure silverware for good next time.

Win PL kinda hard talk the rough competition to even make big four, Pochetino must assure silverware for good next time.
I think so. Liverpool should have finished higher up last season as well.

I think so. Liverpool should have finished higher up last season as well.
problem for liverpool i think they were not consistent enough on the season first half, with such bad defence. It improve i think by the inclusion of van dijk but it seem still prone and kinda late. Also they really need new goalkeeper for instance

problem for liverpool i think they were not consistent enough on the season first half, with such bad defence. It improve i think by the inclusion of van dijk but it seem still prone and kinda late.
Yeah they picked up somewhat late in the day.

Also they really need new goalkeeper for instance
Sad but true. I couldn't believe what I was seeing but Klopp's right about Karius's confidence going completely after his first mistake. It was a terrible game to watch really, with Salah having to go off as well — luck totally against them .

Liverpool knew they needed a keeper. Whether the board couldn't get the deal done or Klopp hadn't identified his target I don't know (but suspect the first as it sounds as if they wanted Alisson in January though that might be butt covering) but they need to do it this summer if they want to do more than get 3rd or 4th. That's only half the battle though, IMO, I've said it for years, but Liverpool's main problem is they get up for the big games, then mess up against the 'lesser' teams. This season was no different to most of the last 20 or so in that regard.

So much to say from the last page or so, so if you'll forgive me I'll post again.

Pep is a very different manager. His Barcelona was without a doubt one of the most spectacular teams of all time, because the man is a genius!
You say "spectacular" I say boring. Don't get me wrong, the final three passes might be exciting, but it's snoresville till then for me. I'd also say the genius of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta as well as Eto'o, Busquets, Pique, Puyol and God knows who else might've had something to do with it the success of those years.

He knows how to handle a lockerroom, he knows how to build a team from scratch if he needs it, he can develop young players and he's tactically perfect.
Tactically perfect? Does one thing regardless. It works a hell of a lot of the time (especially because he has great players and the money to get what he wants) but only having one tactic isn't the same as being tactically perfect, IMO. Don't get me wrong, he's great. I'd love him at United and he deserves the praise he gets, but it goes a little too far IMO sometimes and sometimes is just incorrect. At Bayern he twice came up against the big boys of Spain and lost both ties and, if I remember correctly, all four legs. This year City went out to Liverpool, managed by a man who's beaten Pep on more than one occasion despite have 'lesser' players each time. Why isn't Klopp the genius?

Don't answer that. I know why he's not. And, again, I'm not saying that Pep is bad or that Klopp is better. I'm just pointing out that being repeatedly beaten by a style of play, despite having superior players, and not changing doesn't make someone tactically perfect IMO. It makes them Arsene Wenger and he's spent the last 10 year being told he's past it. The difference? His style/tactic stopped winning in a changing world. If Pep's does, will he still be a genius or yesterday's man?

And we can't forget how Madrid won the CL this year... They were one of the less deserving teams of the last 8 and benefitted from a very unusual amount of incredible mistakes from the referees and other teams' players, against Juve, Bayern and Liverpool... And I won't start describing what Ramos did...
Any team which wins a cup or title will have been lucky numerous times. I just can't accept that you can luck into three consecutive CL wins unless we agree that every team 'lucks' into their win. I wouldn't say that about a team which reached the final three times, let alone won it.

Well he was doing something right . I meant that there'll be the argument: well he was bound to win anyway with those players/resources. But what if he goes to a lesser team and still gets great results? That's going to be interesting. I have no idea how he is tactically, but I do know that, regardless of who you are in world football, when Zidane talks, you listen.
I think that's what everyone is interested in seeing. Some to slam him, others to praise him. Personally I'll just be interested in seeing him develop.

I remember Jose Mourinho saying about the difference in the leagues in countries like Spain and Italy where you pretty much have one of two top teams winning every season and nobody else comes close, and how the Premier League is very different in that respect, being more competitive and less predictable.
I agree with this for the most part, but I think there is a little too much put out there with the Premier League being this 3-6 horse race. It's just not the case. The main difference, IMO, is that in those other leagues it's the same 1 or 2 every year (with the occasional interloper) whereas, in England atm, there's small groups who are pretty close and then over half the league who could see a relegation battle.

For example, as things stand atm, is anyone other than City going to win the title next year? I don't think so. If there is, it'll be United. Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea will fight for the final two CL places. Arsenal might push the 5th place team. All that could be backwards and Emery comes in and wins the league in his first season. But while that wouldn't be Leicester stupid, I doubt much money will be put on it.

There's a summer and a World Cup to come. New managers to put in place and see how they do and nothing is guaranteed of course. However, City, PSG, Juventus, Barca and Bayern for the leagues next year. Even if that's not the case, few would put money against it at this time.

He could do. We still don't know what Arsene Wenger's going to be doing actually, but I would expect France to do well again in the World Cup. It was a bit of a sickener for them to lose in the Euro final.
I think France will go quite far in the World Cup however, anything but the final is underperforming for that squad and, considering the Euros loss, anything but a win will be enough to say goodbye to the water carrier.

I've got Germany V Brazil in the final (redemption for Brazil in case you're wondering) and while I can't remember where I put France out, I don't think it'll be enough if I'm right.

I must admit I quite like the way Pochettino keeps people guessing . He's just signed a new contract but he's saying "If Real call, I'd have to listen".
Real aren't usually the club to do something radical and choosing a coach without a trophy to his name would be radical for them. I think he'd do really well so long as the dressing room listened to him, but I'm not sure that group would. I've seen Guti's name mentioned. I have no idea if that's the ZZ trick again, but if I was a betting man I'd be looking at Conte for Real. He fits the profile.

Lastly, resopamenic what do you think of Emery as your new manager?

Liverpool knew they needed a keeper. Whether the board couldn't get the deal done or Klopp hadn't identified his target I don't know (but suspect the first as it sounds as if they wanted Alisson in January though that might be butt covering) but they need to do it this summer if they want to do more than get 3rd or 4th. That's only half the battle though, IMO, I've said it for years, but Liverpool's main problem is they get up for the big games, then mess up against the 'lesser' teams. This season was no different to most of the last 20 or so in that regard.
Spot on, that has always been their downfall. Was it 2009 they finished 2nd having only lost 2 games all season and doubled Man United (1st) and Chelsea (3rd)? And all they could bang on about was how they were still the best team because of all that. No lads, taking 12 points off the teams around you is worthless if you're drawing too many home games with the likes of Fulham and West Ham, while Man United were battering everybody except you!

This season was exactly the same. All that giddiness over being the first team to beat City and smashing Arsenal 4-0 and getting to the CL final...they lost to Swansea, and picked up draws with the likes of Watford, Stoke and West Brom twice.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
You say "spectacular" I say boring. Don't get me wrong, the final three passes might be exciting, but it's snoresville till then for me. I'd also say the genius of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta as well as Eto'o, Busquets, Pique, Puyol and God knows who else might've had something to do with it the success of those years.
Yeah, he had great players as every big team in the world as. However I never saw any team dominating another one as his Barca. I never thought it was boring, I always found it fascinating.
Besides, Barca created loads of chances each game while not allowing the same to the other team. I'd choose that any day compared to every exciting all offensive team like Liverpool or Madrid, which might be good on the counterattack but have poor defensive moments.

Tactically perfect? Does one thing regardless. It works a hell of a lot of the time (especially because he has great players and the money to get what he wants) but only having one tactic isn't the same as being tactically perfect, IMO. Don't get me wrong, he's great. I'd love him at United and he deserves the praise he gets, but it goes a little too far IMO sometimes and sometimes is just incorrect. At Bayern he twice came up against the big boys of Spain and lost both ties and, if I remember correctly, all four legs. This year City went out to Liverpool, managed by a man who's beaten Pep on more than one occasion despite have 'lesser' players each time. Why isn't Klopp the genius?

Don't answer that. I know why he's not. And, again, I'm not saying that Pep is bad or that Klopp is better. I'm just pointing out that being repeatedly beaten by a style of play, despite having superior players, and not changing doesn't make someone tactically perfect IMO. It makes them Arsene Wenger and he's spent the last 10 year being told he's past it. The difference? His style/tactic stopped winning in a changing world. If Pep's does, will he still be a genius or yesterday's man?
He has a vision, as every manager has. Especifically if you manage a team like Barca, you shouldn't have to dramatically change your game philosophy every game. But there's something that Pep's teams have more than any other team: all the players have to know exactly how to behave on the field at every given moment, or else the entire system goes away. That's what he had on Barca, that is what he's building on ManCity, I believe though it may take a while. He was never able to do that in Germany though, hence his lack of success... (and I've seen him playing differently when he was at Bayern, against Madrid and Porto)
Guardiola's style has been imitated countless times all over the world, without getting even close to the results he gets. I don't find that luck. It proves that there's something about what he does that's simply better than everyone else. Like Mourinho was at some point, though he had different strengths... I think Mou never had the same ability to read the game but compensated that with an impressive control of the locker room.

Any team which wins a cup or title will have been lucky numerous times. I just can't accept that you can luck into three consecutive CL wins unless we agree that every team 'lucks' into their win. I wouldn't say that about a team which reached the final three times, let alone won it.
I can't remember a team who won a CL with 3 goals offered by the GK in 2 games and 5 matches absolutely solved by the referree... I can't say anything against the first two CL wins but this one was simply unfair. They were among the bottom 4 among the last 8 teams.

i'll say barca found the momentum they build, players they nurtured in academy+right and capable manager with their philosophy and DNA, and ofc luck

Tactically perfect? Does one thing regardless. It works a hell of a lot of the time (especially because he has great players and the money to get what he wants) but only having one tactic isn't the same as being tactically perfect, IMO.
personally -from mine layman pov and common understanding of the game- there is no such thing as "perfect" tactic instead of effort for perfection. basically barca system of play is to impose their way game into the opponent which is not rely much on tactic versatility. we can see that from rinus to johan cruijf era -and yeah arsene wenger also has the same apporach- pep maybe follow the great example of his guru but also he found the way perfecting it along with right ingredients in that squad. it's just that when you played in such way and too overpowered your opponent , what suppose to be beatiful and attractive game could end as boring of possession play

so far we could say that klopp's gegenpressing is like antithesis for pep -
well arsene is slave for his own principle on game. man that one known as innovator and revolutionary but end up as obstinate, outdate oldman

Lastly, resopamenic what do you think of Emery as your new manager?
i think it's fine, logical choice. but i realy dont/cant held high hope . well i suppose my pessimism already too strong for all those years lol -no this is nnot arsenal fan tv xD-
well i sorta like emery though, long since his time in valencia already put nose on him. this probably the real test for him more than his short time in PSG -
predict it will be just another arsenal trying to strive from mediocrity, which mean another battle of top four

When The Crystal Maze first came back here in the UK, as a charity special, with Stephen Merchant presenting, he had a lot of sport with Allardyce's then-recent England sacking .

Ah the Crystal Maze. That is one blast from the past. What can i say.... "They dont make'em like they used to"!!

With Silva being touted as the next one (...or has he been confirmed??). Next season will be interesting. But i do get the feeling, no one at Everton has a clue how to run the club. Signings have been without a plan. Although Tosen seems to have settled in during the end of the season.

I have no idea how much power Kenwright has anymore within the board. It will be interesting to see what happens next season.

I became a United fan after watching the United/Everton FA Cup final of 94-95 season.

I could have easily have turned out to be an Evertonian.

Ah the Crystal Maze. That is one blast from the past. What can i say.... "They dont make'em like they used to"!!

With Silva being touted as the next one (...or has he been confirmed??). Next season will be interesting. But i do get the feeling, no one at Everton has a clue how to run the club. Signings have been without a plan. Although Tosen seems to have settled in during the end of the season.

I have no idea how much power Kenwright has anymore within the board. It will be interesting to see what happens next season.

I became a United fan after watching the United/Everton FA Cup final of 94-95 season.

I could have easily have turned out to be an Evertonian.
Yes Silva is in, gave his first press conference today with new Director of Football Marcel Brands.

I really like Tosun, think he's gonna get better and better next season. Him and Walcott seem to have a good understanding of each other. And Sigurdsson is fit again having missed the last 3 months of the season, so I think the three of them together, with a far more ambitious manager should at least give us so much improvement on last season's horror show.

As for last season's signings, I think the biggest problem with most was not necessarily that they were bad signings on their own, but we needed others to compliment them, if that makes sense? Michael Keane for example, great signing on paper, but given the age of Jagielka and Williams, we always needed to be looking at signing 2 centre halves last summer. Keane was poor for much of the season (who wouldnt be playing in a defence with Ashley Williams & Cuco Martina? Christ I still have nightmares about some of those games...) Klaassen and Sandro are both relatively young players from a foreign league who needed time to settle in, only for both to be written off way too quickly and ignored by Allardyce, instead of using them constructively and giving them a chance to gain that experience they need to possibly be better next season. Sandro came in as the only centre forward we signed last season having just sold £75 million Lukaku. A big ask for a 21 year old kid from Spain to come in and fill his boots immediately.

Overall, it's a big summer for us, because I dont think all of last summer's signings should be immediately written off. But we do still have some serious deadwood and guff infecting the squad. The likes of Mirallas, Bolasie, Williams, Schneiderlin, Niasse all not good enough or have completely the wrong attitude. Get rid immediately. The likes of Jagielka, Baines, Rooney (who might yet still be going to the US) are still good enough, but are getting on a bit, so we need to be thinking long term now and replacing them. We have a top set of youngsters who hopefully wont be relied on as much as last season, and can be given a bit more a break and time to develop, likes of Calvert-Lewin, Davies, Kenny. But despite all that, we have the basics of a good side. Pickford, Coleman, Baines, Gueye, Walcott, Sigurdsson and Tosun are the spine we need to be building around.

Yes. They need to repair the back line. Williams is slowwwwww. Jegielka is getting old. Baines is aging. Keane needs a better partner and good backup. Mori is rubbish.

Rest of the squad is pretty young but talented. Rooney is set to leave. Sigurdsson is still alright, but never was really graced with pace to begin with. They would need another striker, a few CBs and one pacey midfielder, either by promoting from within or by signing. Bolasie is good, his injury ruined the season. But i think he can play a good part on the wings.

Lookman does look very very promising. I would like to see him given a run in the first team at some point of time.

Bolasie is a dreadful footballer. I think all his injury has showed us that without pace, he cant hide his multitude of other sins. Im still stunned that in January we sold Lennon but kept him. He's utterly brainless, just does not have a single clue about anything beyond the basics of football (i.e. I run try and beat the man and smack it really hard towards the goal when I get close enough) Movement, awareness of teammates and opponents. Watching him is like watching a schoolboy play.

I like Lookman, very raw but gives us something nobody else we have does. I've heard he might go out on loan again next season, which would probably do him good, the loan in Germany was very good for him.

Didn't Lennon have that mental problem thingy? I am still unclear as it was not much on the news.

Lookman, if there is a chance, should stay on in Leipzig. That is a good club where young players are given a good run.

Yes he did, it was more towards the end of the season before last when he just disappeared from the squad and at the time, nobody had a clue why (I dont think Koeman ever rated him and he had barely figured at all that season anyway) and then it came out that he had been sectioned. He got back in the team this season after Koeman was sacked, and despite the fact I think he has limitations, he's a useful player to have and always gives it everything (which is solid gold when you've got players like Mirallas who have talent Lennon can only dream of yet none of the application). He did an interview after he signed for Burnley about the support he received since, https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...e-new-11778370

Didn't Lennon have that mental problem thingy? I am still unclear as it was not much on the news.
Neil Lennon? He had depression years ago.

Unless you're talking about another Lennon.

Neil Lennon? He had depression years ago.

Unless you're talking about another Lennon.

Aaron! It was just early this year or late last year when the news broke.