Movies where one actor plays multiple roles

Tools    

No one mentioned Cloud Atlas? The only notable thing about that movie?

Three in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey; Peter Hambleton, Mark Hadlow, and William Kircher, who played dwarves Gloin, Dori, and Bifur, also played trolls William, Bert, and Tom.

I am the Watcher in the Night
No one mentioned Cloud Atlas? The only notable thing about that movie?

I actually really like Cloud Atlas and feel it's one of the most thought provoking sci-fi movies of the last 16 years or so.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Anthony Perkins in Psycho
This concept had crossed my mind, but I don't think it counts.

What I mean is, characters who take on the roles of different people themselves within a film's plot, don't count. So Tony Perkins played Norman Bates in Psycho (1960) ... now Bates may have had a split personality, he may have thought he was his mother and dressed up as her, but he was still only Norman Bates.

The idea made me think of another Jerry Lewis movie I was going to include, but then realized it doesn't fit - Three on a Couch (1966). Jerry Lewis plays a character named Christopher who puts on three additional identities in order to provide boyfriends for his psychiatrist fiance's patients and thus plays five different roles (as he also makes believe he's one of the made-up boyfriend's sisters). But, within the context of the film, he's still really just Christopher who is making believe he's these characters to fool his fiance's patients.

Tootsie (1980) & Mrs. Doubtfire (1993) wouldn't work either as the female characters are merely a creation of the "real" male characters within the films.

Jack Nicholson played 2 roles in Mars Attacks (1996).
He looked like himself as the President, but a lot of people didn't recognize him in the second role as "Art Land."

Emily Brontë's Wuthering Heights, in which Juliette Binoche plays both Cathy and her daughter.

Coming to America, which has loads of characters for the two leads to play.

Bram Stoker's Dracula; Anthony Hopkins played Professor Abraham Van Helsing, the priest in the opening of the film, and the narrative voice of the captain of the Demeter.
I thought Van Helsing was the narrative voice?

Edward Norton in Leaves Of Grass

- Probably one of the most underrated performance.

Originally Posted by Watch_Tower
I actually really like Cloud Atlas and feel it's one of the most thought provoking sci-fi movies of the last 16 years or so.
It's the trailer stretched out to 3 HOURS without the benefit of Outro by M83.

What thoughts could it have possibly provoked?

Oh well, I guess I was falsely informed. I looked it up, and it seems Pitt never did a multiple role?

Hey Steel, maybe this will help almost to a mathematical accuracy: This is what we're looking for, folks. Those are the strickt rules!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._the_same_film

I'll list those I know.
  • Amy Adams as Amelia Earhart and Tess in Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009)

• Dan Aykroyd as Shire Judge Reeve Valkenheiser and Bobo in Nothing but Trouble (1991)
Next: letter b.

I hate to impose rules (but then it is fun to try to discuss the what fits & what doesn't).

For instance I have to argue with a couple of the ones on the Wikipedia list you provided, Beatle. Such as the original Nutty Professor (1963) - I interpret Buddy Love as being a transformational aspect of Professor Kelp - the same way I see Jeffrey Goldblum as the same character when he's Seth Brundle and the transformed "Brundle-Fly" in The Fly (1986). Also, it's silly to name "Baby Kelp" as an additional role in the Nutty Professor when it's the primary character of Prof. Kelp at a younger age... and lots of actors play their characters at various ages throughout their lives.

Now, one that's not on their list is Jerry Lewis in The Bellboy (1960) where he plays "Stanley," but also appears briefly as Jerry Lewis in the same film (I believe he does this in a couple films).

I also don't know if I have to disqualify my entry for 7 Faces of Dr. Lao because I don't remember if all Tony Randall's different characters are just somehow aspects of the same character (like he was a master of disguise or a shapeshifter of some sort) or if they were all supposed to be separate entities.