jal90's 50 favorite animated films

→ in
Tools    

41. Dumbo
Ben Sharpsteen, 1941

So, the second Disney in a row.

This one was another great movie in my childhood, the difference being that I did rewatch it as an adult, only to confirm it was actually great.

Dumbo is a very modest-looking work for Disney. It is quite short (64 minutes) and very straightforward, and has a reasonably low-budget compared with its contemporaries. This is the reason why the way it manages to work so well is so fascinating to me.

From the viewing of this movie it is perfectly clear that the studio knew very well how to treat its intended audience; the emphasis put at the many forms and colours of the circus was a real pleasure to watch as a kid. It's stuff like this what confirms that Disney writers and animators really were experts in their field.

Additionally, there's a room for experimental craziness in it that I find both disturbing and extremely satisfying, in the famous scene of drunk Dumbo; and as a kid I loved them, I know some people who found those figures scary but they were a joy to watch to me. This wonderfully trippy stuff is one of my favorite Disney moments of all time for sure.

The emotional discourse of this little movie is freaking brilliant. I can't really describe it in other way. It did bring me tears in the rewatch, the scenes are very brutal and intense despite having a rather simple buildup; Dumbo's meeting with his mother was incredibly well-done.

Only the ending came off as a bit rushed and gave me a slight bittersweet feeling; not anything really serious, but a little and disappointing flaw in one of the most efficient Disney works I have seen.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Spoilers below, if you think you can spoil a 70+ year-old movie.

The Pink Elephants scene is a perfect 10! The ending may seem rushed, but what else is there to show? Dumbo and his Mom live happily ever after, surrounded by their new friends. I actually cry the most when Dumbo flies at the circus, but they're tears of joy and exhilaration. Despite all the other '40s movies I love, Dumbo is my top film of the decade.

40. Only yesterday
Isao Takahata, 1991

I'm sorry for the delay, but there's a lot to say about this one, so I guess that will make up for it. Only thing is, my comment is quite heavily spoilered. I didn't want to separate the spoilers just for aesthetic reasons, so the length of the post will serve at "hiding" them (¿?). Whatever, let's go:

The case of this movie is specially curious; having into account how underviewed it tends to be in comparison with other Ghibli works, it is also one of the most uniformly loved works from those who have watched it, to the point that I have seen very few people across the internet commenting on its bad aspects, let alone dislike the overall feature.

The reasons for the nature of this hidden gem are maybe in the idea it holds. Only yesterday is an adult animation, but contrarily to the common grounds of this conception, it is not about pop references, strongly violent themes, a particularly dense set of philosophy or a heavy character tragedy. Instead, it is a little, subtle work filled with narrative sobriety which deals with the personal condition of a perfectly normal character under perfectly normal conditions. It is a naturally restrictive work, in the sense that the conflict corresponds to a specific age set; with the additions of the multiple 70s Japan references and the general views on animation in the West, make this movie really hard to sell.

It could even be argued that the animation choice was random; this would open a necessary debate on whether the animation can be used as a form of totally free expression or only as a mean to emphasize things that live action isn't able to. While there are some scenes that would seem to justify the decision from that second point of view, Only yesterday represents an extreme, in the sense that nothing in it defies the laws of physics, nor introduces a fantasy setting; but on the other hand it does have a clear aesthetic emphasis, and the fact it's animated only contributes to it.

The storyline is basically about a young woman with an apparently decent job who decides to take vacation at the country. During her holidays the memories of her childhood start to form, in her mind, without any apparent reason behind. This point is important to understand the lack of linearity of the flashbacks; since they are not an exercise of active evocation, and they by themselves don't carry out specific objectives. Taeko's flasback experiences are completely involuntary, they just flow in her mind for a reason she doesn't fully understand. This is translated for the viewer in the existence of many "conflicts" which are simply cut without further development: let's say first love, first menstruation experience or the episode of the theater.

But by joining all of these little pieces and the experience of Taeko in the country, she makes a recap in her life decisions and questions them. The moral take of this movie is a very uncommon one in its context. It is probably the only anime I have seen, perhaps with Perfect Blue, which deals with an openly feminist discourse. Miyazaki for example does deal with the aspect of gender equality but he does it indirectly, through strong-willed female characters; however this and Kon's focus on the actual problem of the position of women in the Japanese society. There is a very revealing phrase where Taeko sums up the reasons of her conflict and the moral take of the movie. It is tied with the memories of her frustration with maths as a kid, and talks about her friend, who was able to divide fractions because she always did what she was told to: "Now she is happily married and has three children". Being a 27-year-old, single and independent woman in a society that pushes you to form a family and live according to the traditional standards becomes the main point of conflict of Taeko.

The ending is pretty much perfect. It is one of my favorite endings of all time; not only it delivers a great conclusion to her inner conflicts, but serves as an amazing narrative tie between the past and the present Taeko, with one of the most beautiful sequences I have ever seen, an incredibly fitting music choice and a last shot that, alone, could justify the whole experience, when the roles are swapped and her child self watches the adult Taeko following her path.

The art is really top-notch here. Just beautiful in every scene at the country, amazingly detailed in the environments it portrays in the present, while the flashbacks are shown with a white filter and an aesthetically simpler look, managing to work perfectly as evocations of the past. The character designs are pretty realistic, with an extreme in the case of Taeko and her expression lines.

I only really have a few problems with this movie; probably the most important one is that I don't find the character of Toshio to be fully satisfying. He is quite difficult to stomach at his first moments, and while this is slowly reverted in the story, I find his character portrayal relatively uninteresting; which is justified as the story is told through Taeko's view, but also kind of disappointing as one of the main focus is in their relationship. On the other hand, there was a scene where I couldn't spot the reasoning of the main character. It's when Toshio's parents talk about the marriage proposal and she runs away; the reason she gives to Toshio later is about her guit feels because of how easily accepted she is while she doesn't really know about the country life, which seems completely unfocused to me. I guess there is a possible explanation at pointing this as a fast excuse, to avoid getting to the main point with Toshio, but from the viewing of the scene it didn't sound like that.

I placed Only Yesterday much higher on my list of fav. animated movies (at 6th place) and in fact I also put it at a very high place on my top favorites from the 1990's poll.

+ rep for it

Hi again! I feel like I should complete this, right?

39. Animal farm
Joy Batchelor & John Halas, 1954

The first animated feature film to get a name in the UK, and a very important reference on independent and adult animation -despite it was supposed to be didactic and labeled at kids... uh, the 50s ones. I remember my first time watching this as a very haunting experience. They for some reason thought that it was a good idea to show it in the school. Which became a shock when major characters (and not the villains!) started to die. It was my first experience with another kind of animation, besides Disney and my Saturday morning cartoons. Something that looked more painful to watch, more disenchanted.

This one is an adaptation on Orwell's Animal farm. I haven't read the book, not because of lack of interest, but it's important to declare that this movie is considered to be the most thorough, ideologically speaking, movie adaptation, with its main difference being in the ending. Anyway, I can't say very much about it.

What makes this work outstanding is, aside from its historical position, its sense of dryness. For a medium like animation where the trend is to make colouristic situations, this movie stands out as surprisingly sober. It may have to do with its age and production but it stills helps to give a cold and harsh feel to the whole. I don't imagine this movie working with a different colour palette.

Aside from its very interesting political tones, which I can't judge as an adaptation but reflect the reality of its time in a very disheartening way, the movie has ability to evoke genuine emotions. The increasing tension of the situations that the animals live at their farm, the gradual change from a collective government to a plain and badly-disguised dictatorship ("All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"), and specially the climax of this story, which I won't spoil.

It has its little flaws, maybe it's too preachy and its technical qualities are far from masterpiece level; but anyway, overall, this work stands out in so many ways. It's still incredibly powerful when it has to be and its vehement political position, while very closely tied to its temporal context, may make this still a little uncomfortable to watch for some people.

Animal Farm is one of the best thing's I've read,will watch this

Nice to see you start this again, I know I already commented on a couple of films on the last page, but since then there's a couple I've seen: Beauty and the Beast which I liked when I was younger but haven't seen in ages, and Dumbo which I loved when I was younger but also haven't seen for probably the same amount of time.

Looking forward to what you have coming up, hoping for Rango

I've seen most of your entries, but I'll just comment on Only Yesterday, because I watched that one quite recently too. I give it a
rating (which is really good).

I understand your criticism on Toshio's character and the 'relationship' between him and Taeko, but after thinking a little bit, I decided that it may not have been true 'love' (I'm talking butterflies in the stomach) that drifted her back to him and the country life. I felt it was more a kind of personal choice for another lifestyle than her current and the relationship/marriage is something that comes with it and makes it justified/definitive. It's a very interesting difference with our western culture, actually, where everything is depicted in an overly romantic way sometimes.

Isao Takahata almost certainly grew up with a great sense of tradition and is no doubt very familiar with all these typical Japanese formalities. I think this film handles the theme quite well and exposes it from both a negative and a positive side. We have the father who beats Taeko this one time out of a certain reflex (probably because that's the way he is raised) and we have the grandmother (certainly not a coincidence) who wants things to go somewhere without any need for subtlety by asking Taeko straightway to marry her grandson.

There might not be that romantic 'click' between the characters of Taeko and Toshio, but I felt like they both had something to offer to eachother in a certain way, even if it's not that pure romantic cliché story we all know from the thousands of other films. In a certain way it's even more real to me than most of the other 'love' stories.

That scene in the car was probably just a kind of test from Taeko to see if Toshio is an understanding person. If he's worth the further step. It isn't necessarily the reason for her running away. That was probably more because of the very direct way she was talked to. She wanted some time to even consider it, because she never thought it was possible to live in a completely different way definitively.

Great choices so far, by the way!

Thanks for your comments, people! I'm glad you are more or less liking the entries so far... I guess when it comes to my top favorites our tastes will diverge a lot more .

And sorry Daniel M. It's not that I don't want to, but I haven't watched Rango yet. In general in the cinema of the last three years or so I have lots of holes, this is one of them that I expect to fill soon.

I also have to say that, since this list is taking me a lot of time, there's some stuff I've watched that would make its place in here. I will mention them, as well as other ones that got close, when I'm finished with this top.

I understand your criticism on Toshio's character and the 'relationship' between him and Taeko, but after thinking a little bit, I decided that it may not have been true 'love' (I'm talking butterflies in the stomach) that drifted her back to him and the country life. I felt it was more a kind of personal choice for another lifestyle than her current and the relationship/marriage is something that comes with it and makes it justified/definitive. It's a very interesting difference with our western culture, actually, where everything is depicted in an overly romantic way sometimes.
It is a good take on the relationship between Taeko and Toshio, but I would still define that as love. True or not, I don't know. And I think Taeko doesn't either and is aware of this; she wants to try. But overall I'd say that Toshio embodies her feelings of self-determination, more than anything. He is a person she genuinely feels nice with, and he represents the change in her life. I think, if anything, that it is an alternative and more sober take on love but it's still talking about it, as when Taeko finds something so essential about her own life in another person.

Isao Takahata almost certainly grew up with a great sense of tradition and is no doubt very familiar with all these typical Japanese formalities. I think this film handles the theme quite well and exposes it from both a negative and a positive side. We have the father who beats Taeko this one time out of a certain reflex (probably because that's the way he is raised) and we have the grandmother (certainly not a coincidence) who wants things to go somewhere without any need for subtlety by asking Taeko straightway to marry her grandson.
Yep! I forgot to mention that in my comment. I would say though that this movie stands out on trying very actively to divert the situations and the characters from this clear moral positioning, as belonging to a good or bad side. The family moments and reactions are depicted in a sober way and always looking at the specific context, not trying to make an overall statement about them. We are sure that the father loved Taeko despite how strict and to a point suffocating his authority was at times, and the movie doesn't criminalize him as well as not victimizing Taeko either. He might be wrong at that moment of his life, but he's still her father and she's still very fond of him.

That scene in the car was probably just a kind of test from Taeko to see if Toshio is an understanding person. If he's worth the further step. It isn't necessarily the reason for her running away. That was probably more because of the very direct way she was talked to. She wanted some time to even consider it, because she never thought it was possible to live in a completely different way definitively.
I guess it could be seen as that but it still doesn't convince me... a test sounds like a totally artificial situation to me. For that reason I'm more into the idea that it's a way for her to disguise her deeper feelings in the matter, the fact that she doesn't seem ready for the change as you say.

Glad you liked the movie so much , by the way. And thanks for bringing your viewpoint in such a thorough way.

38. Pinocchio
Ben Sharpsteen & Hamilton Luske, 1940

This endlessly enjoyable classic of old Disney is specially remarkable for having some of the darkest and most intense scenes I've seen in the studio. The moment of the donkey transformation in special stands as genuinely nightmarish as well as terrifyingly grotesque.

The main strength of this work lies in its visuals. They are incredibly expressive and the influence of the first experimental Disney is very obvious; in the dark tones during certain scenes, the craziness of others and also the obsession for reflecting movement and tying it to the sound. The scenes at Geppetto's home remind me of the Silly Symphonies, the importance they gave to focusing on the little objects and the beauty of their movement.

In terms of the actual storyline, I think my only real problem is in how preachy the attitude of Pinocchio is (there is a moment in the movie where he says: "Being bad is so fun"). I guess this is tied to his innocence but I find it to be a cheap way of delivering the message of the film. Despite he's the main character, he's probably the least fascinating; my favorite one is actually Jiminy. What a twisted concept of a character. He's the moral advisor of Pinocchio, but he's far from being a moral model himself. We see him taking bad decisions and just giving up when things get a little complicated. I find it very ironic that the task of teaching Pinocchio to be a good boy is covered by this little rascal, and that he actually succeeds at this. Very lovely.

The rest of the characters are very spot on, from the villains, a very scary Stromboli and Honest John as the seductive type (I also loved Gideon and his Harpo Marx ways) who brings the best comedic bits of the movie; to Geppetto as the endearing mentor. Even the side story with the cat and the goldfish manages to be genuinely warm and funny, in a way that only Disney could achieve at that time.

The only ones I've seen are Pinnochio, Dumbo, and Beauty and the Beast all of which I haven't seen since childhood. The twelve tasks of Asterix looks good and I appreciate all the effort you put into this

I've seen most of your entries, but I'll just comment on Only Yesterday, because I watched that one quite recently too. I give it a
rating (which is really good).

Great choices so far, by the way!
Interesting to read your thoughts, I never engaged this movie in this intellectual manner, trying to categorize and understand the characters and their choices. I just watched it and felt it.

Also, Taeko's father slapped her because that's what fathers did to their offspring in the 1960's.

Then again, thanks for your words, people.

37. Paprika
Satoshi Kon, 2006

It's not the best work of Satoshi Kon by any means (sounds like I'm spoiling the list ), but that just becomes an understatement since this Paprika is still a wonderful exercise of wild imagination and warped logic. This colourist fantasy, a very obvious influence on Christopher Nolan's Inception, is a visual feast with some of the best animation I've ever seen.

But I don't think its technical qualities make alone the reason why I love this movie and this director. Regardless of how complicated, disjointed or plain absurd Paprika might be or look, the fact is that Kon seemed to enjoy messing up with parallel realities and his ambiguity was truly brought to the latest consequences. The way he changes from dreams to reality to dreams and blurs the line between them makes this experience, if not easily understandable, very absorbing.

The storyline is actually more or less linear and easy to follow (still, with its moments of deliberate confusion) compared with other works of Kon that take this ambiguity to further consequences, but it turns to be secondary. What matters in here is the depiction of this world where impossible forms invade the screen. And the level of imagery that this movie ends up showing, the agility by which every one of these forms appear and the variety of ideas, absurdities and mocking remarks to the vices of Japanese society that are put into the work is truly amazing.

I can't deny though that the movie is far from perfect for me; maybe due to its intensity, it feels really short, and the conclusion, while certainly crazy, doesn't look in any way satisfying for me. But anyway, it is worth a viewing, if only for the sole reason that it makes the most of its artistic expression.

36. 5 centimeters per second
Makoto Shinkai, 2007

5 centimeters per second was my first exposition to Shinkai. Since then, my other attempts on his work haven't been as satisfying as this experience, but with this movie, alone, I can label him as one of the most promising anime directors out there. The reason is not so much on the quality of this work, which is very high, but on the ideas it represents. And of course the narrative style may be excessive, but I think there's actually some strong merit at taking this extremely intimist viewpoint and making it work by not trying to tone it down with comedic moments or alternative character traits. Its heavy and passionate focus on feelings becomes a rarity and not only because Shinkai really takes this to the latest consequences, but also on the very strange sense of sincerity in these authorial choices that make this work specially fascinating.

The story is nothing more or less than your typical about two lovers that are separated and can't turn back. But simple as it looks, everything in it is depicted with genuine intensity and the depressing feel is quite perfectly captured. I have to admit that I haven't found this exposition working so well on his other similar movies, but in this case it seems to strike the right chord every single time. It's quite an experience.

Adding to that there is the level of artistry of this work. It is an eye-candy experience from start to finish, some of the nicest backgrounds I've ever seen in animation, a great choice of soundtrack -except, for me, on the ending song, which sort of ruined a wonderful conclusion.

Now the good ones are coming. If Paprika and 5 Centimeters are 36-35, I cannot imagine what masterpieces will show up later. Oh well, I think that Shinkai > Kon, by a small margin.

I love Ponjo and Iron Giant and I'm adding some to my 'must see' list. Can't wait to see what's coming.

Now the good ones are coming. If Paprika and 5 Centimeters are 36-35, I cannot imagine what masterpieces will show up later. Oh well, I think that Shinkai > Kon, by a small margin.
Oh, some of the next, and I think specially the 34th, will be quite polemic to say the least. They are remains of a very different period of my life where I wasn't into movies. So I myself find it difficult to compare them with the rest of the list.

I am a fanboy of Kon. I've watched and loved everything of his work, including a one-minute short. Can't say the same about Shinkai but I really have hopes on him; I still have his last two movies (Children who chase... and The garden of words) to watch and will cover them soon.