50 Performances That Ruined Movies

Tools    

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
Got to disagree. Although i'm not a fan of The Last Samurai, Tom Cruise in no way stunk up the joint. The role could have been done by any leading actor, true, but Cruise's performance was solid. I've never really understood the negativity Cruise gets. He is an actor of great command most of the time.
I agree. I want to hate Tom Cruise so badly. But every time I watch one of his movies, I remember why I can't bring myself to hate him. I just bought "Minority Report" on Blu-Ray and watched it again for the first time in a long while, and Cruise is undeniably magnetic. As for "The Last Samurai," I can't think of another actor who could have fulfilled the role of Algren quite like Cruise did. Brilliant movie, and one of Cruise's best performances IMO.

I agree. I want to hate Tom Cruise so badly. But every time I watch one of his movies, I remember why I can't bring myself to hate him. I just bought "Minority Report" on Blu-Ray and watched it again for the first time in a long while, and Cruise is undeniably magnetic. As for "The Last Samurai," I can't think of another actor who could have fulfilled the role of Algren quite like Cruise did. Brilliant movie, and one of Cruise's best performances IMO.

Minority Report is a really good film, and yes, he is reliably good in it. One of my favourite Cruise performance however has to be in Rain Man. He is simply excellent in it. The range of emotions that he has to convey would trouble any actor. He has to go from a selfish, harsh and somewhat materialistic young businessman through to a sympathetic, caring younger brother who tries his hardest to take responsibility for the Hoffman's autistic title character. It's a tremendous performance, as good as Hoffman's critically acclaimed term, imo and one of Cruise's most overlooked. He is really good in Collateral too.

Sudoku Blackbelt
I fast forward through Kurt Russell's parts in Tombstone. His performance in that movie is almost as bad as his mustache.

If it is just really bad performances there is a ton more.
Mickey Rooney, Breakfast at Tiffany's (a good one, but stinks when he shows up)

Semper Fooey
I assume that is sarcasm and you disagree. You actually think this is not terrible?

&feature=topics

Yeah I too want to hate him, he makes it easy for people to hate him with his public religious rantings and jumping up and down on sofas etc! But you can't deny he is a very good actor. I think for me, Minority Report, really was the movie that exemplified what Tom Cruise is really capable of. A fantastic movie and he was very good in it. Collateral also was another great performance from him. It's a shame that he's not a bit more selective about some of his role choices. If he shied away from movies like Mission Impossible and persevered with deeper/darker roles and more independent movies he could have ended up one his generations finest actors.

Most of the movies listed are bad anyway, and some included cameos that didn't even last more than a couple minutes. This list is awful.

3. Orlando Bloom, "Pirates of the Caribbean"
12. Kevin Costner, "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves"
42. Harrison Ford, "Random Hearts"

These performances were not bad, especially Ford. Did they even watch it?

I think too many of these are bad performances in bad movies, not performances that ruined otherwise good/decent movies.
I agree.

Yet even though I do agree... you can't fault Sly for Judge Dredd!

I AM THE LAW!

If anyone tried to play that off Olivier style it would have been a horrific sight indeed.

50. Hayden Christensen, "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones"
Only one I can agree with as being a bad performance that ruined a half-decent movie. The rest are either decent performances or bad movies.

Semper Fooey
I agree.

Yet even though I do agree... you can't fault Sly for Judge Dredd!

I AM THE LAW!

If anyone tried to play that off Olivier style it would have been a horrific sight indeed.
I am no Stallone fan, but the worse thing about JD was Rob Schneider, the comedy relief that wasn't.

Ben Affleck and Rebecca Hall in The Town

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Denise Richards, The World is Not Enough.

Bond girls are delicious eye candy.

Her acting ability fills out quite nicely.

If she's on the list where is Tanya Roberts for A View to a Kill?

Brandon De Wilde in Shane

Nicolas Cage in Peggy Sue Got Married

Shelley Duvall and Danny Lloyd in The Shining. I was rooting for Jack to kill his family.