Vanilla Sky

Tools    

Why did you want to forget it, Peegaleg? I liked the original film more, but Vanilla Sky was a good re-make. Crowe didn't change much (thankfully), but there are a few of his fingerprints on it, and I liked what he did overall.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Oh, afterthought...

There's a scene where Cruz is laying down nekkid on her back and Cruise is kissing on her and you hear this loud giggle from Cruz but her mouth and lips don't move at all. I thought that was a pretty noticeable error in the film, surprised they didn't catch that and fix it.

I guess the reason that I wanted to forget it is because it just didn't make any sense to me. that and i found the original to at least have more vibrancy to it. i just find the hubris of remaking a film that is only 3 years old and not really fixing the problems that were in that film to be amazing.

sometimes i think that the big hollywood stars and directors don't live on the same planet as us and that is why the big movies are so bad.

thats why I like mavericks like Altman and Lynch--they try to work out of the system and make pictures that you do want to think about.

speaking of Altman and Lynch, does anyone think their pics Gosford Park and Mullholland Drive will get a lot of golden globe nominations tommorow?

i think mullholland drive will get shut out because it isn't the most accessible pic, but I actually think gosford park will pick up quite a few nominations.

Guy
Originally posted by Peegaleg
I guess the reason that I wanted to forget it is because it just didn't make any sense to me. that and i found the original to at least have more vibrancy to it. i just find the hubris of remaking a film that is only 3 years old and not really fixing the problems that were in that film to be amazing.

sometimes i think that the big hollywood stars and directors don't live on the same planet as us and that is why the big movies are so bad.

thats why I like mavericks like Altman and Lynch--they try to work out of the system and make pictures that you do want to think about.

speaking of Altman and Lynch, does anyone think their pics Gosford Park and Mullholland Drive will get a lot of golden globe nominations tommorow?

i think mullholland drive will get shut out because it isn't the most accessible pic, but I actually think gosford park will pick up quite a few nominations.
you were right!

Except that Mullholland Drive wasn't anywhere close to shut-out. It garnered nominations for Best Picture Drama, Best Director and Best Screenplay - nothing to sneeze at.

And Peegaleg, I don't know what problems you perceived in the narrative of Open Your Eyes, because I found it near perfect. I agree it didn't need to be re-made, especially not so soon, but even as a fan of the original I didn't find the re-make an insult of any kind. I prefer the Spanish flick, but can't really begrudge the Americanized one too much this time.

My problem was this:

here is the feeling I had after I saw the original--WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED! i felt cheated, like when JR woke up from the dream...it just didn't compute for me. which is ok, I like movies that make me think--its just that this one didn't make any sense for me.

that feeling was intensified when i see the american version. I felt even worse because I knew the story and still it didn't make any sense to me. I just don't feel like the filmmaker knew what he wanted to say.

this is just my opinion, thats why there are 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins! if you like the movie, great. there are parts of the movie that are cool. but for me it didn't add up. and I do think Crowe messed up because he had a chance to correct the errors of the original (at least the errors I see) and he didn't

as far as me being right, at least 50% ain't bad.

now i think the academy awards come down to altman vs. lynch. and the academy will give it to Altman because he has been nominated 4 times and hasn't won. he is older than Lynch and the academy will collectively decide that Lynch will have another shot at it while Altman may not.

In any case, I am really looking forward to seeing Gosford Park when it comes out next week.