2017 Mofo Film Awards - The Nominations

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Still trying to decide whether to interpret "biggest surprise" as "film that was much better than I expected" or "film I'd never heard of that caught me by surprise". I get the impression that it's supposed to be the former (hence why it's paired with "biggest disappointment"), but looking over my nominations for the past few years indicates that I've been consistently voting for films that fit the latter definition. Does it matter?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Still trying to decide whether to interpret "biggest surprise" as "film that was much better than I expected" or "film I'd never heard of that caught me by surprise". I get the impression that it's supposed to be the former (hence why it's paired with "biggest disappointment"), but looking over my nominations for the past few years indicates that I've been consistently voting for films that fit the latter definition. Does it matter?
I tend to let people define their own criteria for categories like that. It’s been a mixture of both in the past years.

I thought about pushing the deadline back a month and if there is enough support for it can still do that.

Thoughts on adding a Foreign Language Film this year everyone?

I think I ask this every year........... but what constitutes a "2017 release"?

For instance, The Handmaiden, Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea were all released in cinemas in 2017 where I live. Do they count?

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
Yes! My first year participating in this! I'm so excited. I've seen 65 2017 films, so I guess I'm pretty well rounded by now, I will post my list by the end of January as there's still some stuff not out where I live yet (Shape of Water and Call me By Your Name are both killing me)

I think I ask this every year........... but what constitutes a "2017 release"?

For instance, The Handmaiden, Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea were all released in cinemas in 2017 where I live. Do they count?
They don't count for this because they were in last years awards. Cinematic release in America is what this goes by i think.

Thoughts on adding a Foreign Language Film this year everyone?
The problem with that is so many of the best ones won't be readily available until like 2019. I'm fine with it being counted but i doubt i'd be able to vote in it until like this time next year haha. City of Ghosts, The Other Side of Hope, Bad Genius and Ojka are all i've seen so far. Only City of Ghosts i feel strongly enough about to vote.

They don't count for this because they were in last years awards. Cinematic release in America is what this goes by i think.
Hmm ok. That basically renders any film released in the UK in Jan / Feb lost in the ether for us then? Films like Ladybird and 3 Billboards will be in this years countdown but us Brits and Irish won't have seen them.

Hmm ok. That basically renders any film released in the UK in Jan / Feb lost in the ether for us then? Films like Ladybird and 3 Billboards will be in this years countdown but us Brits and Irish won't have seen them.
Your deadline to send a ballot is March 1st. Lady Bird is out here in February 16th and Three Bilboards January 28th. I'm sure there will be some we won't be able to see in time but we can on those two.

And honestly i do enjoy this and i'm really grateful Suspect takes the time to do it. But the winners and nominees are always boring anyway, so many members only watch the blockbusters and oscar films so that's what fills everything up.

song to song best film and malick best director

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Also, bonus points on who can quickly name every film in that poster.

How long did the poster take you, TUS? Nice job.

Also, bonus points on who can quickly name every film in that poster.
I'm not sure what the mustang is from or the character looking to the sky behind Ladybird. Also only half sure that is Jackman in Logan and not another film.

If anyone has any recommendations, hit me up.
I would if I could but I've only seen four 2017 films so far.

The Beguiled
The Hero
Marjorie Prime
Life

I'm sure you've heard of most of them.

This post has been repurposed into a place for me to track what I've seen so far this year. The Shape of Water isn't playing in theatres here, so hopefully I'll still get a chance to see it.

My Seen List

Alien: Covenant
American Made
Atomic Blonde
Baby Driver
Baywatch
Blade Runner 2049
BPM (Beats per Minute)
Call Me by Your Name
Colossal
A Cure for Wellness
Daddy's Home 2
Don't Breathe
Brigsby Bear
The Dark Tower
The Disaster Artist
The Fate of the Furious
Get Out
Ghost in the Shell
A Ghost Story
Good Time
Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
The Hitman's Bodyguard
I Don't Feel at Home in this World Anymore
Ingrid Goes West
IT
It Comes at Night
John Wick Chapter 2
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
Kong: Skull Island
The LEGO Batman Movie
Life
Logan
Logan Lucky
The Lost City of Z
The Mummy
Okja
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Resident Evil: The Final Chapter
The Shape of Water
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Split
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Thelma
Thor: Ragnarok
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
War for the Planet of the Apes
Wind River
Wonder Woman
xXx: The Return of Xander Cage

Total: 52

To Watch

Brawl in Cell Block 99
In the Fade
T2: Trainspotting

Feel free to suggest additions!

I had a boring year. Like I said, basically just the biggest releases, and I didn't even see all of those. Vaguely in order of release I've seen:
The movies from my top ten so far that you've either not seen or aren't planning to are: Good Time, LA 92, Mother, Song to Song, Brigsby Bear, City of Ghosts and Detroit.

Of those i feel really strongly about Good Time and LA 92. Would have to see Mother and Song to Song again to be sure if i do. The others are just ones i liked alot.

LA 92 and City of Ghosts are messed up and depressing documentaries about the 1992 LA Riots and a group fighting against Isis control of Raqqa respectively. So unless you're really interested in those subject matters they may not be for you...i dunno. Detroit is similar except it's fictional. Edit: It's not a documentary i meant, it's based on true events.

I'd most recommend Good Time and Brigsby Bear to you. No clue if you'll like either but i doubt you'd regret watching either even if you didn't. The former is a really tense, exciting film with a great soundtrack (meaning i liked it and thought it fit the film perfectly but i can see people getting annoyed by it). The latter is easily the most sweet and endearing film i've seen this year, and it's really funny at times.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I had a boring year. Like I said, basically just the biggest releases, and I didn't even see all of those. Vaguely in order of release I've seen:
Wow I've only seen 8 from your seen list, Cos. I found it a pretty disappointing year to be honest.