The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Time for trying to predict the remaining movies for this list! The ones in the group below are films guaranteed to show up. The majority of which have followings on this site ranging from sizable to huge. And most appear in the top tens of more then a few members on the site, and many are actually the favorite movies of many prominent members. (Especially Jaws, The Godfather, Taxi Driver, A Clockwork Orange, Alien, and Chinatown).

The Godfather
Taxi Driver
Jaws
Chinatown
Star Wars
A Clockwork Orange
Apocalypse Now
Alien
The Godfather 2

These movies are especially popular movies and would be very difficult to see not making the list. Pretty much guaranteed as well.

Halloween
Young Frankenstein
One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest
Rocky
Monty Python and the Holy Grail

These are the question marks in my eye. I can see all of them making the list, but there are 18 movies left and this is a list of 19.

Barry Lyndon
The Exorcist
High Plains Drifter
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The Conversation

To start, Barry Lyndon is a Kubrick film. And never underestimate Kubrick on a decade list. I know this is a loved movie among many members, including a few members of our Art House Mafia, and I know Guapo digs it too. But maybe it did not get as many votes as the other 70's Kubrick film? I do not know. The Exorcist is a fantastic movie, and I know of a few people who definitely voted for it, but I don't know how many top 10 placements it would have, and can it get by with a bunch of lower list placements? Again, I don't know. But I seriously can't see this movie showing up. The last three are interesting since they all appear on the Countdown poster Holden Pike made, and I just have this feeling they would not have been on the poster if they did not make it. That was my reasoning for Superman and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and both have shown up.

Should be interesting to see what happens now. Can't wait for the next two movies.

He made the poster before the list, so it's possible. But yeah, I agree with your analysis. I'm still not counting out Amarcord either.

Alien would be number 1 if this was a "top 100 best trailers of the '70s list".

I'm pretty sure it will make the top 10 of this list, though.

The last three are interesting since they all appear on the Countdown poster Holden Pike made, and I just have this feeling they would not have been on the poster if they did not make it.
Yes, as I said somewhere at the beginning of this thread, I made that poster the last day of the '80s list, before a single vote had been cast, even my own. So you may use it as a guideline if you wish, but really and truly, I just filled it with bits from a bunch of iconic '70s posters.

But, as you were...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yes, as I said somewhere at the beginning of this thread, I made that poster the last day of the '80s list, before a single vote had been cast, even my own. So you may use it as a guideline if you wish, but really and truly, I just filled it with bits from a bunch of iconic '70s posters.

But, as you were...
Awww, now Sexy can't over-analyze the poster like you were some mastermind secretly putting the top ten in it in some really weird order.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
If you really think the movies discussed in the last few posts are the only choices, I'd say the longest shots are High Plains Drifter and Amarcord, But you guys have never even watched about 10 films from my personal list, so I guess I'm off in LaLa Land.

But, as you were...
Well that changes things up a bit.

Like does The Conversation show up in the top 20 with the other three Francis Ford Coppela movies? Does the fact that Coppela made four fantastic films in one decade limit the amount of votes certain of his films not named The Godfather or Apocalypse Now?

Why am I asking you? You ain't talking.

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
It's a classic Internet GIF. I know the TV series (?) it's from, but never seen it. The GIF itself is hilarious, tho.

honeykid is right.
Yeah. I could have SWORN it was a movie. Must be a similar scene on something else I am thinking of.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm getting worried that Close Encounters won't make the cut.

I'm getting worried about CE3K too. It's one of my all-time favorite movies.

I was hoping that it would be high on the list, but now, listening to the way people here are talking about the movies that they expect to show up on the list, I'm beginning to wonder if it will show up at all.

This will probably surprise nobody, but I had never heard of this Stalker movie until this countdown. At all. Have heard of Tarkovsky, though. I'd bitch about this movie being on the list 'cause it doesn't really feel '70s to me, but I see that it got 50,000 votes on IMDB.com. Still, it could have had more.

There is one film of his that I've recently become aware of that I really do want to see, though.

Let's get Miss Vicky and do a group commentary to this sometime. I wanna hear her thoughts on what it was like to work on this film.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Did you use that foreign film poster of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre here just to piss me off?