The Matrix is over rated!!!

Tools    

Greatest movie of all time

Did they mop this floor with Dr. Pepper?!
I love The Matrix. Indulgent Sci-fi at its best. Probably not the best 90's film, though.

Of course The Matrix is overrated. People think it's good when it's not. It's ok.

I don't think I have viewed a film from 1999 that I liked more than The Matrix. Though, what are the other good ones?
Do you mean good or great? Because there's plenty better than The Matrix, but that's because it's merely an ok film. Anyway, great films from 1999.

The Straight Story

South Park: Bigger, Longer And Uncut

Boys Don't Cry

1999 produced two of my favourite films of all time.

Honeykid, I didn't like that South Park movie as much as many episodes of the original TV series. I liked Boys Don't Cry, very interesting movie. Haven't watched The Straight Story.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
1999 produced two of my favourite films of all time.
Funny to say of all time when time for you is presumably mid 1990s onwards.

Funny to say of all time when time for you is presumably mid 1990s onwards.
We have a smarta** in this forum.

When everybody says "all time",it doesn't automatically assume everybody has seen every movie released in every language

We have a smarta** in this forum.

When everybody says "all time",it doesn't automatically assume everybody has seen every movie released in every language
K. I feel overwhelmed by this burn.

K. I feel overwhelmed by this burn.
Just because you are a 19 year old kid that prefers to watch movies before 1950 doesn't make you intelligent or superior to anyone.Understand that.

Just because you are a 19 year old kid that prefers to watch movies before 1950 doesn't make you intelligent or superior to anyone.Understand that.
Ouch

I simply could not understand what was going on in the Matrix series---and I saw two of them about 10 15 years ago .

Luckily I did not write movie reviews back then---otherwise what would I write in my review ?? That I could not understand the movie ??

Maybe people called it great because they could not understand it

The first Matrix film is vastly superior to it's two sequels (which are not bad, just average movies). So I take the plot of the first film alone. It's very clear: humanity has been replaced by A.I. as the dominant species in earth and the A.I. has turned humanity into batteries and created a virtual world to house it. The science fiction concept is brilliant and truly reflect the zeitgeist of our times (specially for 1999), it's truly the best science fiction film of the decade and I rate it as the second best of the last 20 years.

Yeah, statistically speaking the "strength" of a favorite movies list is a function of how many movies a person has watched and not the time frame. Given that the supply of movies made since the mid 1990's to today is almost infinite (there are nearly 100,000 movies made in the past 20 years in existence) I don't think that a person actually needs to watch older stuff. Though I don't care much about dates so I watched a significant number of older movies but most of the stuff I watched is from 1995 onwards.

Yeah, statistically speaking the "strength" of a favorite movies list is a function of how many movies a person has watched and not the time frame. Given that the supply of movies made since the mid 1990's to today is almost infinite (there are nearly 100,000 movies made in the past 20 years in existence) I don't think that a person actually needs to watch older stuff. Though I don't care much about dates so I watched a significant number of older movies but most of the stuff I watched is from 1995 onwards.
I don't think this is a holistic consideration, Guap. If by saying the more films you watch, the more confident you will be that your favorites are your favorites, that makes logical sense. But you said the "strength" of a list which would indicate that how good the movies on a favorite list are. Not only are both of these things highly subjective, but the your ability to watch and comprehend movies is dependent on both experience and cognitive ability, and your ability to fundamentally understand them is more cognitive than experience with film, I would argue. Reviewers and critics aren't hired based on the amount of movies they have seen, but on the quality of their work. The strength of a favorite films list is more dependent on your understanding of film and specifically the films you have seen once you are within a threshold of films seen. In limiting cases, number of films may equal quality of list (someone who has seen 2 films from 2013 is likely going to be less knowledgeable than someone who has seen 50) but it doesn't make sense to extrapolate this for much beyond limiting cases since after a number of films, knowledge of a time period becomes more generalized. I think it would be fun to hear how many movies David Bordwell has seen (though there's no way he knows), but I'd be interested in his list of favorite films because he has consistently shown himself to be insightful and knowledgeable about film.

The real concern here though, is why someone who has no interest in film beyond mainstream Hollywood of the last 20 years join a movie forum? So far all he has done is make hyperbolic statements and then claim that his statements are near self evident and made it clear that his convictions are set in place. What are you doing here, AdamHanks?

Uh, yeah, but it does generally include something more than the last couple of decades. Nobody's saying you need to be scouring Japanese archives from the 1930s here. "All time"--which is the phrase you chose--implies at least a decent breadth of experience. Otherwise it becomes entirely solipsistic.

As for whether or not watching older films makes someone "superior"--well, superior how? Because if you're measuring cinematic experience, then yeah, it kinda does. And really, let's not hide behind technicalities here. Technically someone who watches Pokemon: The Movie can be just as "intelligent or mature" as someone who watches The Seventh Seal, but they're probably not.

It is technically possible that someone's favorite films could just happen to be very recently made. But it's probably not a coincidence that the people for whom this is true are overwhelmingly those who haven't seen many older films. It's basically a math problem: the fewer films you see, the less significant it is that any given film is among your favorites, because it has less to compete with. It's a lower bar to clear, in the same way it's easier to be the best writer in your neighborhood than it is to be the best in your country.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Not at all.

The readers of Empire voted The Matrix number 10 in the Empire 500 greatest films of all time so can't be that bad.

As for whether or not watching older films makes someone "superior"--well, superior how? Because if you're measuring cinematic experience, then yeah, it kinda does.

I hate this assumption that if you watch "old movies" or "critically acclaimed movies",then you are an intellectual fan.And if you watch "new movies" or "superhero movies",it makes them less intellectual and makes them the average audience.Someone watching ShawShank Redemption over American Pie doesn't make them better.

The Matrix is the greatest movie of all time.I don't care if Empire Magazine supports my statement or Roger Ebert disagrees with my statement.I don't let anyone influence me.I have seen many people call Marlon Brando's acting in Godfather the best ever.I disagree.I believe it was Al Pacino that stole the show and Brando was more of a supporting actor in that movie.