Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Last edited by bluedeed; Today at 05:49 PM.

You can't change the past!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Are you guys by any chance talking about Jerry Magguire?

On the current debate, I also favor The Godfather. Not for a clear reason though, I'm more interested on the topics and setting Apocalypse Now brings, but I guess The Godfather executes its stuff in a more effective way. Anyway the differences are very minor and subject to rewatch.

In my mind, the quality difference is major
which one has better "quality",according to you?

I think The Godfather is better, but I enjoyed Apocalypse Now a little bit more, although I have seen Apocalypse Now a lot more times. I am going to watch The Godfather again when I eventually decide to watch Part II. I think it's potentially a definite
film and one that could be top 10, it's just I wouldn't include it now because I have a poor memory of specifics within the film

I think Apocalypse Now is a flawed film, and with all its chaos you are either attracted to it or put off. I know a lot of people hate it, particularly the ending and Brando's part, I think JayDee and Mark both give it
and whilst they don't think it's particularly great think it's worth a watch/respect it for certain reasons at least. But I find the whole chaotic/mad feel great, and kind of mesmerising, I like atmosphere movies like it, so it's not that surprising I guess. I watched it with my step-dad and my brother and they absolutely hated the film, we're completely put off my it's style and other stuff, and struggled to get through it. Both films are similar in their ambition within their genres, but in terms of the more perfect film and in terms of meeting its ambitions I think The Godfather wins.

I hope this all makes sense

There isn't any official answer to this. The "best movie" will always be the one that your mind conjures up.

@Daniel:

I actually think Apocalypse Now is way more focused on its subject and main characters, while The Godfather is all over the place. There are murders, intrigues and sudden complete character reversals everywhere.
I still think it's one of the best films I've ever watched, because it's so extremely epic and because of its perfect look and scene constructions, but I can't say it's flawless in terms of storytelling, as it sometimes is a little bit of a mess, in my opinion. That is the fact with practically every epic film, though, and I don't have a problem with that, but I really can't see what the major difference in quality is between Apocalypse Now and The Godfather.

They're both still
films for me.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Apocalypse Now is a
for me. I saw it on a huge screen several times when it came out and it was truly spectacular. That's why I'm so disappointed with the last third, but go ahead and enjoy it all. I'm not stopping anybody.

Apocalypse Now is a
for me. I saw it on a huge screen several times when it came out and it was truly spectacular. That's why I'm so disappointed with the last third, but go ahead and enjoy it all. I'm not stopping anybody.
Most people seem to have issues with the final third, I know Mark Kermode (British critic) thinks Brando's participation/performance was a joke. I actually have Hearts of Darkness on Blu-ray as it came with the Apocalypse Now set that I bought, I am really looking forward to watching that when I can as I have heard all sorts about the trouble production, Brando and the rest.

Apocalypse Now is a
Fair enough. I can see why some people don't like the ending. I personally thought it was rather brilliant. It was a very fitting (in my opinion), poignant part of the film that totally caught me. I guess it's a matter of taste, like all these sorts of things.

Apocalypse Now is a
the last third of the film is the best part of it imo. honestly the best lighting i've ever seen in any motion picture thus far.

Most people seem to have issues with the final third, I know Mark Kermode (British critic) thinks Brando's participation/performance was a joke
And he's correct.

I actually have Hearts of Darkness on Blu-ray as it came with the Apocalypse Now set that I bought, I am really looking forward to watching that when I can as I have heard all sorts about the trouble production, Brando and the rest.
Watch it asap. I like it more than the film.

Anyway, the greatest film of all time is obviously Jaws, so I've no idea why this thread exists in its current form.