Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
And in the opinion of most critics as well. The Godfather is excellent though and it is less flawed than Apocalypse Now but it is not as haunting and powerful as the latter. So Apocalypse Now is slightly superior in relation to The Godfather.
You can just change your name to God, but then The Godfather is superior to you since it sired you. Bad son!

Just surprised at how manly these lists are. I guess it makes sense since film was and is still a pretty male dominated industry. Is this site pretty male dominated too?
This list, and the IMDb list where it partially derives are very manly lists. Most of them are either fueled or filled with testosterone and male ambition. It seems more of a reflection of the internet community than it does what film has to offer. The list could be greatly helped with the inclusion of a Mizoguchi for a little bit of self awareness.
We had a similar discussion 20 years ago in my Film Studies class. I don't see anything changing any time soon.

These forums have some females. Sadly, lately I found out a person I thought is a girl turned out to be male.
SC's always been very open about being a gay man. Well, apart from when he's a woman, anyway.

Well, Apocalypse Now had the same director and it's better than The Godfather.
No, it's not.

And in the opinion of most critics as well. The Godfather is excellent though and it is less flawed than Apocalypse Now but it is not as haunting and powerful as the latter. So Apocalypse Now is slightly superior in relation to The Godfather.
Wait, it's not as good therefore it's better? That sounds like an HK argument. You have learned well, my son.

However, saying critics think it's better means nothing... Much like critics themselves.

You need to get your own opinion. Critics aren't an authority on what's good and what isn't. So your last sentence means nothing. Many critics will say the Godfather is superior. The only difference is that i make up my own mind, and don't follow or care what critics say.

You should try to watch a film without reading a Critic's review.

I don't care that much about a critic's opinion. However, you actually asked me for the opinions of the critics. So it's YOUR fault.

I gave my opinion, you said that it was only my opinion, then I replied that most critics consider it superior to the godfather. It probably also applies to most experienced film buffs as well. The Godfather is more accessible and less flawed while Apocalypse Now is more powerful.

I don't care that much about a critic's opinion. However, you actually asked me for the opinions of the critics. So it's YOUR fault.

I gave my opinion, you said that it was only my opinion, then I replied that most critics consider it superior to the godfather. It probably also applies to most experienced film buffs as well. The Godfather is more accessible and less flawed while Apocalypse Now is more powerful.
I responded to this - Well, Apocalypse Now had the same director and it's better than The Godfather. My response was "in your opinion". You can blame it on me all you want, but you were the one who brought up critics to support your argument.

You need to get your own opinion. Critics aren't an authority on what's good and what isn't. So your last sentence means nothing. Many critics will say the Godfather is superior. The only difference is that i make up my own mind, and don't follow or care what critics say.

You should try to watch a film without reading a Critic's review.
Why is it so hard to believe for you that he really thinks Apocalypse Now is better movie than The Godfather, apart from the critics? He just noted that a lot of critics agree with him, because you needed to point out that it was only 'his opinion'. He has his own opinion and he has made up his mind without following what critics say, so "your first sentence and last sentence mean nothing."

I agree with Guap by the way. The Godfather is a very good film (I give it a maximum score actually) and it has a few brilliant scenes, but the whole experience of Apocalypse Now is more powerful and haunting.

Why is it so hard to believe for you that he really thinks Apocalypse Now is better movie than The Godfather, apart from the critics? He just noted that a lot of critics agree with him, because you needed to point out that it was only 'his opinion'. He has his own opinion and he has made up his mind without following what critics say, so "your first sentence and last sentence mean nothing."

I agree with Guap by the way. The Godfather is a very good film (I give it a maximum score actually) and it has a few brilliant scenes, but the whole experience of Apocalypse Now is more powerful and haunting.
If you'd read all of the comments in this thread, you would've noticed that i was responding to this - And in the opinion of most critics as well. The Godfather is excellent though and it is less flawed than Apocalypse Now but it is not as haunting and powerful as the latter. So Apocalypse Now is slightly superior in relation to The Godfather.

I disagree with both of the bolded comments, i've never said anything about people's opinions, but Guap's last comment isn't presented as an opinion.

If you'd read all of the comments in this thread, you would've noticed that i was responding to this - And in the opinion of most critics as well. The Godfather is excellent though and it is less flawed than Apocalypse Now but it is not as haunting and powerful as the latter. So Apocalypse Now is slightly superior in relation to The Godfather.

I disagree with both of the bolded comments, i've never said anything about people's opinions, but Guap's last comment isn't presented as an opinion.
I've read all the comments and to me it feels like he was just justifying his opinion, because of your earlier comment:

In your opinion.
'Powerful' and 'haunting' are also two personal experiences in terms of films, so I thought it was pretty clear that he was stating his own opinion, while also using the classic 'critics-argument' to show that he's not the only one with his point of view.

Oh well, it doesn't matter really.

Casablanca is still the greatest movie of all time.

I think trying to definitively assert what the greatest movie of all time is... is a bit folly.

I mean after all, everyones tastes are different, in the same way you'll never get everyone to agree on what the best burger in town is etc.

My answer is simple from my perspective.

The Lion King.

Maybe it was because it was the first movie I saw in the movie theatre.

But there's something particularly special about that film.

Every year I make it a point to watch it.

I still laugh, I still cry and I still come away from it profoundly touched by it's sentiment.

Disney still makes some great flicks, don't get me wrong, but in terms of films like the Lion King, they just don't make em like they use to.

What a perfect answer, Jetboogieman. You're absolutely right.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

I've read all the comments and to me it feels like he was just justifying his opinion, because of your earlier comment:

'Powerful' and 'haunting' are also two personal experiences in terms of films, so I thought it was pretty clear that he was stating his own opinion, while also using the classic 'critics-argument' to show that he's not the only one with his point of view.

Oh well, it doesn't matter really.

Casablanca is still the greatest movie of all time.

This is not his opinion - "in the opinion of most critics" . I guess we should all come to this conclusion - So Apocalypse Now is slightly superior in relation to The Godfather. because Guap made that decision .

I just don't understand what Camo is talking about. I just pointed out:

1 - More critics prefers Apocalypse Now over The Godfather
2 - Why I prefer Apocalypse Now over The Godfather

Learn to read English!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
come and see > apocalypse now
+1
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

but now you have my attention
Couldn't choose but it would have to be a film that can engage you without obvious special effects but just with the story and acting. Shawshank's in there, but nah with all the films out there couldn't possibly be just one, maybe 2 for each genre might be possible.

Which critics are those?
1- Roger Ebert
2- The critics who voted for the Sign and Sound poll.
3- I have the impression that experienced film buffs generally appear to prefer Apocalypse Now while less experienced film watchers prefer The Godfather.

Though I imagine that a fan of gangster movies would prefer The Godfather while a fan of war films would prefer Apocalypse Now.

In a top 10 of war films, I wouldn't place AN, excess doesn't equate to much for me, plus Brando's lines, I thought, were quite ridiculous. I'd much rather watch the documentary.