Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

Yeah, 80% of the votes on the IMDB are made by males so manly films are higher. For instance, Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro would be much higher in the IMDB top 250 if they only counted female votes (their female average ratings are 8.7 and 8.4, respectively, while their overall ratings are 8.6 and 8.2).

Also, the lack of Ozu on that list is even worse than Mizoguchi.
Tokyo Story made a brief appearance last year i think then dropped out.

What hurts these movies is the number of votes. They don't get in because they don't have to many voters voting for them! Rating wise, they all can get into the top 250.

I was talking about IMDB 250.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Also, the lack of Ozu on that list is even worse than Mizoguchi.
I think Ozu is a better filmmaker than Mizoguchi, but they could use some of Mizoguchi's depiction of men and sympathy for women (though Ozu's female protagonists are very interesting and well illustrated).

The bottom vote cut off varies from time to time. Its adjusted regularly. I remember it being 6000 about 1.5 years ago. Now its 25000. So maybe it made an appearance when they reduced the limit.

so i averaged all the major movies i could think of using the RT Critics, RT Audience, IMDb rating, and BluRay.com user rating... and this is how the Top 25 came out

Very good list, but mine is better, top 25 greatest movies with a rough order of preference (only 1 movie per director allowed):

1 - PMMM, the movie parts 1 & 2 (?)
2 - My Neighbor Totoro (Miyazaki)
3 - Ikiru (Kurosawa)
4 - Tokyo Story (Ozu)
5 - Stalker (Tarkovsky)
6 - 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick)
7 - Bicycle Thieves (De Sica)
8 - Grave of the Fireflies (Takahata)
9 - Ugetsu (Mizoguchi)
10 - Apocalypse Now (Coppola)
11 - 8 1/2 (Fellini)
12 - The Empire Strikes Back (Kershner)
13 - Star Wars (Lucas)
14 - The Lord of the Rings (Jackson)
15 - Blade Runner (Scott)
16 - Au Hasard Balthazar (Bresson)
17 - Apu Trilogy (Ray)
18 - Persona (Bergman)
19 - The Terminator (Cameron)
20 - Schindler's List (Spielberg)
21 - The Human Condition (Kobayashi)
22 - Taxi Driver (Scorsese)
23 - Once Upon a Time in America (Leone)
24 - Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal (forgot, some jap guy)
25 - Citizen Kane (Welles)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You don't even know who directed your favourite movie?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Mark,do you like Brian De Palma's Scarface? 'Cause I have a strong feeling that you don't.
I like it OK -
. The whole thing is so over-the-top that it can't help but be entertaining to a point. The problem is that it's about an hour too long. The original was a bit overboard too, but it basically told the same story in half the time.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
To be fair, I don't know who directed Donnie Darko off the top of my head, but I've never felt compelled to learn because the only other thing that I know from him is Southland Tales, and it sucked.

No, it's because the real author is the guy who wrote it, Gen Urobuchi:

His nickname among english speaking fans is Urobucher because he likes to torture (psychologically and physically) and kills most of his characters. He is a writer not a film director (he writes novels, videogames, tv series and films). I have seem some of his other works, it's not as good so he good really lucky with PMMM.

PMMM is more like a novel than a film in some sense since the main focus is on character development, though it's directing appears to be very good and it's visually very impressive, though not very elegant. Miyazaki's, Kubrick's and Kurosawa's films have probably more skilled direction.

Anyway, how do you rate the films on that top 25 list?

To be fair, I don't know who directed Donnie Darko off the top of my head, but I've never felt compelled to learn because the only other thing that I know from him is Southland Tales, and it sucked.
I also have trouble remembering the director of Donnie Darko, it's because he's only made Southland Tales and The Box since, neither of which I have a desire to see. The Box mainly because The Trailer seemed to give everything away

I also have trouble remembering the director of Donnie Darko, it's because he's only made Southland Tales and The Box since, neither of which I have a desire to see. The Box mainly because The Trailer seemed to give everything away
Some young bloke named Richard Kelly.

Finished here. It's been fun.
@Guaporense your list is good but come on though The Godfather has to be on there somewhere on there and you listed Tarantino as the director of Once Upon A Time in America.

This thread is pointless. There's no way there can be a consensus "Greatest Movie" . My opinion on the greatest movie is my favourite film (Taxi Driver) . If i was to go down the same road as Daniel M, i'd add Star Wars, Goodfellas and Pulp Fiction to the Godfather. But as someone already said the most liked film doesn't equal the best.

@Guaporense your list is good but come on though The Godfather has to be on there somewhere on there and you listed Tarantino as the director of Once Upon A Time in America.
Well, Apocalypse Now had the same director and it's better than The Godfather.

And in the opinion of most critics as well. The Godfather is excellent though and it is less flawed than Apocalypse Now but it is not as haunting and powerful as the latter. So Apocalypse Now is slightly superior in relation to The Godfather.