Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Tools    

'Mirrors 2' Script Complete, Writer Revealed

Matt Venne (White Noise 2: The Light, "Fear Itself", "Masters of Horror") has currently completed a screenplay for Mirrors 2, a sequel to 20th Century Fox's film from director Alex Aja. No word yet on the plot. ShockTillYouDrop reports it will be geared for the direct-to-DVD market, similar to Fox's Joy Ride and Wrong Turn series. Fox is looking at a 2010 release for Mirrors 2.

Mirrors was a remake of the Korean pic Into the Mirror and followed Kiefer Sutherland as a security guard at a high-end department store who begins to investigate mysterious deaths occurring in front of the stores' mirrors. He soon discovers that there are murderous reflections out for revenge.

Source: Bloody Disgusting and Shock Till You Drop

See New Moon's Fanning, Sheen, Bower, Bright, and Heyerdahl in Character

An assortment of new images from The Twilight Saga: New Moon hit online today, showing five members of the Volturi: Michael Sheen as Aro, Dakota Fanning as Jane, Jamie Campbell Bower as Caius, Cameron Bright as Alec, and Christopher Heyerdahl as Marcus.

If you're a fan of the series, then you're well aware of these characters' various duties and powers, but for those who might be a little fuzzy on the facts, let's take a deeper look. Aro is the leader, Jane has the ability to inflict debilitating pain with her thoughts (as we learned when reading about her torture scene with Edward), Caius is the most sadistic of the ancient Italian vampire coven, Alec is Jane's equally evil twin, and Marcus is the most detached due to the loss of his mate.

The photos are courtesy of Yahoo!, MySpace, Moviefone, MTV, and Examiner, respectively.

Director Chris Weitz's thoughts on the Volturi are included with the MySpace image of Dakota:

"No matter how strange one of the characters is in a work of fantasy, I think you have to approach them as people and then so you start to think, 'They've been around for 2,000 years. How would they interact with one another?' The conclusion was that after 2,000 years you'd probably be more than mildly insane. No matter how cultured or gracious you appear on the surface. And I think that's what Michael Sheen managed to portray as Aro, the head of the Volturi -- on the surface he's terribly gracious, warm, a wonderful host and at the same time he's lethal and frightening. It's also what Dakota Fanning conveys as Jane. She's innocent looking in appearance but she's absolutely deadly. The first thing I wanted to do was put them in a setting that wasn't Dracula's castle. There have been so many vampire movies and werewolf movies and horror movies where everything has been dark and dreary. Instead, their headquarters is surprisingly light and crisp. And the characters that they play have a kind of a tactile reality to them in spite of how bizarre their situation is really. The whole point is not to leave Forks, Washington, where everything has really been quite realistic and then suddenly go to a location that completely throws you out of the movie. And the set although it's huge and grand and magnificent actually feels like a real place."

And if that's not enough, a full-page scan of an upcoming People Magazine article on the film is shown below courtesy of Thinking of Rob which, yes! finally!, shows us a bit of Robert Pattinson in character as Edward Cullen along with more of the Volturi and their blood-red eyes.

New Moon opens everywhere November 20, 2009.

Source: Dread Central

Heathers comes to TV

Scribe Mark Rizzo, with an assist from Sex and the City alum Jenny Bicks, is putting pen-to-paper on a “Heathers” TV series for Fox, says Variety.

Though Rizzo is said to be still playing around with ideas, it’s safe to assume Veronica Sawyer (played in the movie by Ryder), J.D. (Christian Slater’s character) and the "Heathers”, will be back.

The idea for a "Heathers" revival came from inside UTA, where reps for Rizzo and Bicks decided the title was ripe for revival and contacted Lakeshore about potentially dusting off the franchise.

"We had the title, and talked about doing a film remake at times," said Lakeshore prexy Gary Lucchesi. "But doing it for TV seemed like a fresh and original idea."

Source: Moviehole

Rob Zombie to Remake The Blob ... with a Slight Change

Rob Zombie put his own spin on the Halloween movies, and now he's setting his sights on sci-fi by developing a new version of the 1958 classic The Blob, which he will write, direct and produce, Variety reports.

The original movie made a star of Steve McQueen, and it was previously remade in 1988 by Chuck Russell.

In the original, an object from space crashes into a field, containing a red blob-like substance that absorbs the humans it contacts and grows exponentially. While Zombie was a fan of the original, his version will be much different.

"My intention is not to have a big red blobby thing; that's the first thing I want to change," Zombie said. "That gigantic Jell-O-looking thing might have been scary to audiences in the 1950s, but people would laugh now. I have a totally different take, one that's pretty dark."
Production will begin next spring, the trade paper reports.

Source: Sci Fi Wire

See the Trailer for 'The Descent: Part 2'

IGN nabbed a first look at The Descent: Part 2 trailer, the directorial debut of Editor Jon Harris (Eden Lake, Kick-Ass). The Descent: Part 2 follows lone survivor Sarah (Shauna MacDonald) as she emerges from the caves only to be forced back in to accompany a rescue crew. The Descent: Part 2 opens in the UK December 4th, no word on a US release date yet, but it’s likely that the flick will quietly slide onto home video at some point in 2010.

To view the trailer click here.

Source: FearNet.com

Producer Joel Silver is Developing SWAMP THING in 3D!

Collider participated in a press conference with producer Joel Silver for his new movie Whiteout. While Joel has a ton of projects in development on his IMDB page, he talked about a new one. When he was asked about his thoughts on 3D and would he want to make any of his movies in the format.

“I’m developing a picture now that I’d like to do…I’ll hopefully do Swamp Thing, which is a movie we’ve had for a long time. We think that would be great to do in 3D. There are a couple of projects I’m thinking about (for the format) but not everything.”
When the press conference ended, Silver was asked if there was any truth to the Wachowski Brothers being involved in Superman.

Is there any truth to the Superman rumor?

Joel: I don’t think so.

Do you know what they might do next?

Joel: I really don’t know. They’re working on something.

You mentioned Swamp Thing in the press conference…

Joel: Maybe going to do it. I like it.

Source: Collider

Matthew Vaughn Wants to Direct The Avengers

Matthew Vaughn, director and producer of the upcoming rated-R comic book adaptation, Kick-Ass, really wants to helm Marvel Studio’s The Avengers movie.

Vaughn, if you remember, was director of X-Men: The Last Stand… for a short while anyway. After he took over for Bryan Singer, he quickly left which opened to door for Brett Ratner to direct the project.

Looking forward instead of back though, Vaughn now has directed three feature films: Layer Cake, Stardust and the upcoming Kick-Ass. Now, he wants to do another superhero flick…

In speaking with MTV, he revealed the following desires of his:

“[I'd] love to do ‘The Avengers,’ and Superman… I think it would be great to reinvent Superman.”
Vaughn was attached to direct the Thor solo movie before his contract expired and Branagh was hired to helm the project. The script he and partner Mark Protosevich had written was apparently loved by Marvel Studios but it demanded an insanely high budget that he needed to cut in half (apparently from $300 Million to $150 million).

The Avengers is currently scheduled to open May 4, 2012.

Source: Screenrant

Red Sonja may start filming in 2010

Things have been quiet on the Red Sonja front for a while. A few posters were released last year here and here, but then producer Robert Rodriguez and Rose McGowan split. Then they got back together, and now McGowan has taken to her Twitter to give an update on what’s happening:

To clarify press reports: Red Sonja is delayed. I pulled out of doing it in ‘09. Not permanently. Hopefully will follow Conan.

I am still contracted to do Red Sonja. Hopefully Filming in ‘10 not ‘09
Back in June producer Joe Gatta also said that it would probably start filming next year:

“Because of certain issues and the economy, we had to change our plan a bit,” executive producer Joe Gatta told Empire Magazine . “It’s frustrating because we thought we’d make the movie last year, before Conan.”

Even last month, Gatta explained that Sonja was going to have to wait until after production on “Conan.” As he explained to Empire: “I would say though the emphasis is on Conan [rather than Red Sonja]. It’s our crown jewel here at the company and that will be the leader. Red Sonja probably won’t happen until next year, as far as making it goes. So we want to launch Conan and reinvent the franchise.”
Source: Filmonic

Predators Scouting in Hawaii

Last week, the production team behind 20th Century Fox's Predators has spent some time down in Hawaii scouting its jungles.

Tim Ryan's Reel Hawaii reports that if the next sequel in the franchise does ultimately lens on one of the island it will be for 18 days sometime in October. Principal photography begins on on September 28 at producer Robert Rodriguez's Troublemaker Studios in Austin, Texas.

Directed by Nimród Antal, and written by Alex Litvak and Michael Finch, Predators finds a group of people on the Predator home planet which was witnessed for the first time in Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem and appeared to be a rocky terrain. How will the jungle locale come into play?

Source: Shock Till You Drop

The Green Hornet Delayed By 5 Months

A rather surprising piece of news has surfaced about the upcoming Seth Rogen comic book movie, The Green Hornet - It has been pushed back a whopping 5 months, from its previous July 7th summer release date next year to December 17th. There’s been no official reason given for the move, but its star Rogen has responded himself to the news.

It has certainly been a rocky road for The Green Hornet, with one notable obstacle being Stephen Chow sadly dropping out, first as director, then as an actor in the role of the titular character’s sidekick, Kato. But with an extremely talented director coming on board in the form of Michel Gondry, and recently Nicolas Cage, Cameron Diaz, Edward James Olmos and Jay Chou has also been rumored), it looked like things were firmly on the road for the release next summer.

However, as HitFix notes, principle photography hasn’t even started yet, and the highly anticipated (arguably even more than this movie) Predators would have made for heavy competition as it’s also scheduled to open on July 7th next year. On top of that, a December release sets The Green Hornet apart from all the other summer movies that it will compete with.

HitFix managed to get in contact with Rogen, who has given his rather positive thoughts on the date move of The Green Hornet:

“We’re both [me and Michel Gondry are] relieved and psyched about the change. It gives more time for post [-production], which would have been immensely rushed if we were to come out in the summer. It also affords us more time to promote the film, (now we can go to Comic-Con with more than a car!) and ultimately is a great vote of confidence from the studio.”
With the troubled road that The Green Hornet has had up until this point, we don’t want a rushed production to derail it now that it’s finally on-track. Five months does seem like a bit of a long time, but I’m still fine with it. July is still 11 months away, so a delay from that isn’t that big of a deal when we’re this far away. It’s not a Harry Potter case where the original release date was only a few months away and THEN they suddenly decided to move it to the following year. Excitement and anticipation for The Green Hornet hasn’t really started to properly gear up yet.

Will a comic book movie like The Green Hornet do better with a pre-Christmas holiday release than it would have smack in the middle of summer? If the interest from the general movie going public is there for this rather strange sounding comic book movie, it will still be there in December as it was during the summer.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Matthew Vaughn Wants to Direct The Avengers

Man, I want to too!

Bad Boys 3 On the Way

With Michael Bay off making giant robot movies, Will Smith solidifying himself as one of the most bankable movie stars on Earth, and Martin Lawrence, well… still acting, it would be understandable if there was never a third installment in the Bad Boys series. However, by way of The Hollywood Reporter, comes news that not only has Columbia started to develop a Bad Boys 3 but has already signed a screenwriter to it.

Columbia has hired Peter Craig to write the Bad Boys 3 script - Craig doesn’t have any completed screenplays out there yet (he has three in development, including Cowboy Bebop), but according to Wikipedia he’s a published author of “darkly comic novels of imploding father-son relationships.” The hope is to have a script which will reunite director Michael Bay, producer Jerry Bruckheimer, and stars, Will Smith and Martin Lawrence.

However, at this stage, even with a writer on-board, the project is still in the early stages and no deal has been made with any of the four main players from the first two to come back for another. Pretty much with all of them (except maybe Lawrence), there comes an expensive price tag attached. As stated, Smith is about the only true bankable movie star in the business (his last 8 movies have all surpassed the $100 million mark), and by now Bay is used to getting huge paychecks and collecting percentages of money from toy merchandising.

However, if you look at the money the first two movies made, the first one cost $19 million to make, and made over $140 million at the worldwide box office; the second one’s budget ballooned to a whopping $130 million, but still ending up making over $270 million worldwide. If Bay were to come back he’d want a similarly high budget to play with.

Big question, though: Is there still enough interest in Bad Boys to make a third installment worth the while? With two (really) popular films to play off of, and the audience-drawing Smith as one of the leads (that’s presuming he comes back), Bad Boys 3 wouldn't have much trouble filling the seats.

As stated, although no agreements or deals have been made by Bay, Smith, Lawrence or Bruckheimer, all of them have expressed past interest in doing another Bad Boys. One quote from Bruckheimer said that towards the end of the shoot for the second film, both Smith and Lawrence were already ready to sign up for another one because they were having so much fun. Another quote from Smith at the 2008 MTV Movie Awards said that he’s got an idea for a story for the third movie, but that Bay is now, “too expensive… way too expensive."

Rambo V Has Been Greenlit!

He was as bad-ass as ever and at the end, many fans just wanted more. Fortunately, ever since that movie banked $113 million worldwide on a $50 million budget, there’s been talk of another installment.

At the beginning of the year, Stallone talked about it again and mentioned that it’s going to happen and that they were still deciding on where the film should take place, either in America or another foreign location.

Fast forward to today and the fifth Rambo has been greenlit! Reportedly, the story of the next Rambo killing spree follows the warrior as he takes on human traffickers and drug lords to rescue a young girl along the U.S.-Mexico Border.

Production is set to start in the spring, near the release of his current project which has entered post-production, the eagerly-anticipated The Expendables film.

Since The Expendables may turn out to be PG-13, it’ll be nice to know we have another Stallone R-rated adult action film coming our way in the near future.

The Expendables hits theaters April 23, 2010.

Source: Variety via Screenrant

The Weinsteins Take Over Halloween

The blade Rob Zombie handed Michael Myers may have gone blunt , but The Weinstein’s aren’t giving up on Myers’ just yet.

Taking a cue from the film that trampled theirs this weekend, The Weinstein’s tell The Los Angeles Times that they’ll be making the next “Halloween” flick a 3-D Flick. Not surprisingly, there’s a new director in line for this one.

The original Halloween 3, you’ll recall, didn’t feature Michael Myers at all. “Season of the Witch” fixed on a large Halloween mask-making company that has plans to kill millions of American children with something sinister hidden in Halloween masks. There was no Shatner-masked slaughterer to be seen. After Michael Myers died at the end of Halloween II (1981), the plan by John Carpenter was to make a new "Halloween" movie each year, each telling a different Halloween-related story. After this movie underperformed at the box office, the film-makers decided to bring Michael back to life for future sequels.

The Weinstein's plan to have Halloween 3-D scaring up theatres next Summer.

Fox Set to Reboot Fantastic Four Franchise

While Disney lays down a $4 billion bet on the future of Marvel's superheroes, 20th Century Fox has already begun overhauling one of its big Marvel franchises, "Fantastic Four," to take the property beyond the two films already made.

Akiva Goldsman has been hired to oversee the reboot as producer. Michael Green, the co-exec producer of TV's "Heroes" who co-wrote Green Lantern, will write the script for the new Fantastic Four.

Fox wouldn't comment on its plans, but the moves are evidence that Marvel franchises do have enduring lifespans.

As Spider-Man 4 moves toward an early 2010 production start, Columbia Pictures recently hired James Vanderbilt to write a fifth and sixth installment with the understanding that one or both of those films would give the franchise a makeover with a new director and cast

The 2005 Fantastic Four and 2007 sequel Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer were directed by Tim Story and starred Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis.

Though Marvel Entertainment owns and finances properties like "Iron Man" and "Thor," Fox controls Fantastic Four in perpetuity -- as long as it continues making the films. Fox has the same arrangement on Marvel Comics properties "X-Men," "Daredevil" and "Silver Surfer." Marvel is a producer and financial participant through a licensing agreement.

Though the related Silver Surfer character soared in the "Fantastic Four" sequel, that iconic personality has remained a priority project for his own film at the studio.

Fox has so far done one "X-Men" spinoff in "Wolverine." The studio is working on a sequel to that film and has scripts for X-Men Origins: First Class, and X-Men Origins: Magneto. Potential spinoffs for the Gambit and Deadpool characters have also been discussed.

As producer, Goldsman is involved with several DC Comics transfers, including Jonah Hex, The Losers and Teen Titans. He was also producer of the Will Smith-Charlize Theron superhero film Hancock, for which a sequel is being developed.

The 'Fantastic Four' reboot will reportedly feature an all-new cast as well as a far darker take. It is tentavively scheduled to hit theaters in 2011.

Source: Variety and Jim Hill Media

Disney has recently registered two domain names:
  • ENCHANTED-2.COM
  • ENCHANTEDTWO.COM

What does this mean? Well take a wild guess. Yes, Enchanted 2 is in the works. Probably a straight to DVD release though.

No info on the film at the moment, just that a domain name for it so far.

Monsters 2 recently recieved one as well ..
  • MONSTERS2.COM

First Look at a CGI Smurf!

This first image of a CGI Smurf from Sony Pictures Animation's upcoming Smurfs movie was posted last night on PVCBlue.com. It turns out that the studio ran the promo image, of which you can find a scan below, in a magazine recently.

Opening in theaters on December 17, 2010, the film will be directed by Raja Gosnell. The Smurfs were created in 1958 by Belgian cartoonist Pierre Culliford, known throughout the world as Peyo.

Source: ComingSoon

De Mornay Rocks the Cradle Again

Rebecca De Mornay, the ageing sexpot best known for her roles in such classics as Risky Business, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle and Backdraft, will topline Darren Lynn Bousman’s Mother’s Day remake.

De Mornay's role in the film, says Variety, harkens back to De Mornay’s turn as the evil nanny in Curtis Hanson’s 90s hit The Hand that Rocks the Cradle.

Scott Milam's script follows a family of villains, led by a sadistic mother, who return to their former home and terrorize the new owners and their guests. The filmmakers are aiming for a release in April, timed to take advantage of Mother's Day on May 9.

De Mornay joins Jamie King, Shawn Ashmore, Briana Evigan and Deborah Ann Woll for the frightfest.