Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Tools    

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think another Underworld trilogy would be awesome.

Im quite gutted that there is a different kid in H2, providing he is playing Young Michael that is.

Wolfgang Petersen Directing a Live-Action Paprika Remake?

Wolfgang Petersen, the other German action movie director (not Roland Emmerich), hasn't directed anything since Poseidon back in 2006. He's attached to an alien movie called Uprising at Sony, but there hasn't been any movement on that for a while (as far as I know). Moviehole is reporting (without many details at all) that Petersen is attached to direct a live-action version of Yasutaka Tsutsui's Japanese novel Paprika. Anime enthusiasts may remember that an anime version of the book was produced in 2006. But a big anime remake just doesn't seem like something Wolfgang would do?

Paprika is about a machine that allows therapists to enter their patient's dreams. When the machine is stolen, all hell breaks loose, and only a young female therapist can stop it: Paprika. Apparently it is a very trippy anime (watch the trailer) because it spends so much time in dreams. This sounds strangely similar to Christopher Nolan's Inception (at least regarding the dreams aspect). Maybe this is the inevitable competing project? Oddly, this is the first time we've even heard anything about any this, be it the live-action remake news or Petersen's potential involvement.

Source: FirstShowing.net

Minor Scream 4 Updates from Williamson, Cox, and Arquette

A handful of small updates on Scream 4 have been trickling out over the last few weeks. They individually weren't worth writing about, but together, they make for a great 'Scream 4' update. First off, screenwriter and franchise co-creator Kevin Williamson talked with iFMagazine on the TCA press tour and divulged more story details. Williamson not only confirmed that it was a trilogy (which was reported previously), but spoke a bit more about the sequel. “It's a new trilogy. It's ten years later. Gale Weathers, ten years later." And don't forget, it was already confirmed that Courteney Cox and David Arquette will both be back.

Williamson adds: "Bob Weinstein has been bugging me… Then finally I was taking some time off, sitting around thinking 'what if I had to do Scream 4?' I wasn't interested, [but then I thought] 'a trilogy – now I'd be interested! Could we do that and develop a trilogy?' and then I started thinking about the story. I created three different chapters, broke it up and I got really excited." In a separate update on SciFi Wire, Courteney Cox revealed that her character Gale Weathers "has a kid now" and "she's married to Dewey." Which makes that both a fictional and real-life relationship, as Cox and Arquette are married in real life.

Speaking of David Arquette, PopWrap caught up with the actor a few weeks ago. While he doesn't reveal anything about his character, he does talk about how excited he is to return. "I love the Scream franchise, I'm just honestly excited to be making another one." And why did he want to return? "I figured it would be a blast to bring these characters back to life and see how they've grown since Scream 3," he said. "Working with Wes has been amazing and Kevin is an incredible artist. My wife and I really wanted to do this." I'm sure money has something to do with it, too, but we'll just try and stick with the story details for now.

Lastly, we have an update on Wes Craven, and whether he may return to direct (or not). "I'm going to finish the script in the next couple of months and then we'll start the project," Williamson told iFMagazine. "It depends on the hiatus schedule and then we'll get in serious talks with [original trilogy director] Wes [Craven] and what his schedule is like." For almost everyone involved, having Craven back is a necessity for the sequel. "Wes wants to read the script before we sign on, which makes sense. We've sort of chatted about it. We're a Scream family, so not having dad sitting at the head of the table, wouldn't make sense."

Halo Movie Shelved In Favor Of Games

If you were looking forward to a Halo that you couldn't play, too bad. It seems the Halo film is on pause right now.

"We're glad there's still a lot of enthusiasm in the entertainment industry surrounding the idea of a Halo movie," a Microsoft spokesperson told Kotaku. "That said, the Halo feature film remains on hold as we focus on projects like Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach."

Halo: Reach isn't due until Fall 2010 (give or take) so the film will be collecting dust for awhile, it seems. On the bright side, this gives Channing Tatum extra time to work on his Master Chief voice.

Source: Cinema Blend

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I think if District 9 proves to be successful, then the HALO movie will take off.

Warner Bros Goes Plastic - They're Developing a Lego Movie

There's Legoland, there's Lego Rock Band, there's Lego Star Wars. Now, there's Lego: The Movie. Warner Brothers is developing a movie "around Lego and its building blocks" reports Variety today. Newcomer writers Dan and Kevin Hageman have been hired to pen the script for the project that will mix live action and animation, but plot details are being kept under wraps (come on, really?). Dan Lin, who is developing a Tom and Jerry movie and developed Sherlock Holmes and Terminator Salvation, is producing this project for the studio, along with Vertigo. We have entered the era endless movies-based-on-toys, unquestionably.

This announcement comes after G.I. Joe opened in the #1 spot over the weekend. The number of other toy movies in the works is just staggering, from Candyland to Stretch Armstrong to Battleship to Hot Wheels to He-Man. It's a win-win for both sides: "For the toymakers, a movie is seen as a way to raise awareness around a brand and sell more playthings. For the studios, a toy-based film only makes it easier to promote a pic to audiences given the built-in recognition factor."

That made me laugh. Out loud.

Twilight: Eclipse Casting News

It's full steam ahead on the third Twilight movie - even though we've not seen the second one yet, and won't for several months - as the shoot for the next instalment in the saga, Eclipse, goes before the cameras later this month.

The film is shooting in Vancouver under the stewardship of director David Slade (who made the excellent Hard Candy, and the less-excellent 30 Days Of Night), and joining the regulars will be Jack Huston. We last saw Huston in this summer's Wolverine movie, and he's now going to be playing Royce King II in Eclipse. His character, according to The Hollywood Reporter, is a human one, who just happened to live through the Great Depression. He should be a chipper chap, then.

Everyone concerned had better get moving, meanwhile. The film has a firm June 30th 2010 release date, and there's the small matter of the fourth movie to crack on with after that, which is due at Christmas 2010.

Source: Den of Geek

David Slade is a pretty good director, but why are they rushing this series so much? I can understand they're trying to do it befoe the actors age, but geez at least wait till the movie comes out to shoot the sequel.

Paul W.S. Anderson Developing a New Death Race Prequel

Shock Till You Drop is reporting that the 2008 Jason Statham high speed action-fest, Death Race, will be getting another movie. But not a sequel, no, the next Death Race will be a prequel. I guess we won’t be seeing Statham in this one, and not just because he’s got better things to do.

Director of the first Death Race, Paul W.S. Anderson, has already tapped writer Tony Giglio (Timber Falls, Chaos) to script the prequel, based on a story by Anderson. The film will be produced by Impact Pictures (a production outfit shared by Anderson and Jeremy Bolt), and word is it will delve into the past of the driver, Frankenstein.

The late-great David Carradine played Frankenstein in the original Death Race 2000 back in the ’70s, with him doing a brief voice appearance as the character in the remake before Statham’s character, Jensen Ames, replaced him in the driver’s seat. As I said, since this is a prequel, logically we can expect not to see much of Death Race’s cast, most notably Statham.

Having said that, Tony Giglio (who may also direct this prequel), directed Statham in the straight-to-DVD Chaos. And with the potential that this could go straight-to-DVD, it almost seems like all the dots are already being connected. Anderson will next go to work on the 3D Resident Evil 4: Afterlife (on which Giglio will be a second unit director), but after that he and Bolt will oversee the Death Race prequel.

Source: Screenrant

Director Jonathan Mostow Provides an Update on Namor flick, The Sub Mariner

Unlike Iron-Man, Captain America and The Avengers, which are owned by Marvel, Universal owns the rights to “Sub-Mariner” and can produce the film. According to Jonathan Mostow on Collider, Universal always renewed the option for the property, so they have the rights like 20th Century Fox has with “X-Men”, and like Sony has with Spider-Man. What that means is if Universal eventually makes Sub-Mariner, he’s not going to be part of the ever growing Marvel Universe unless Marvel and Universal strike a deal of some kind.

The other thing Mostow said was that the project was in active development. He said the big hang-up is getting the script right and they haven’t cracked it yet. He said making a great super-hero movie is really tough and without the right script it’s impossible.

Obviously, with his work on The Surrogates coming to a close next month, maybe Sub-Mariner will be the next thing he makes. But at this point it’s still a big question mark.

To watch an interview of Mostow talk Sub-Mariner go here.

Source: Collider

God I hate Namor the character. Such an a-hole.

Vin Diesel Talks Riddick Sequels

Vin Diesel recently updated his Facebook profile with some new thoughts on future installments of the proposed The Chronicles of Riddick franchise. Though the last film arrived in 2004 with little fanfare and not much cult enthusiasm, that hasn't stopped the action maven from contemplating future adventures for his sci-fi hero. Here's what Vin had to say:

The Riddick discussion is about rating now. Though Hollywood likes their PG Ratings, the next chapter in the COR series was always envisioned as an R rating, like Pitch Black. One Studio exec suggested doing both "The Underverse" and "The Furyan", (working titles) at the same time, allowing us an R rating for the first and a PG rating for the second. The good news- David Twohy's script comes in next month.

No sequel has been greenlit just yet.

Source: Movieweb

Is There a 'Blair Witch 3' in the Horizon

A few weeks ago Entertainment Weekly did a 10-year anniversary "Where Are They Now?" piece on the people behind The Blair Witch Project, which had you all scared and maybe-sorta believing it was real this time in the summer of '99. The actors have either quit Hollywood or found modest success (Josh Leonard was in this summer's indie hit Humpday), but as for the filmmakers, it's been a whole lot of nothin'.

But wait! They still have their brilliant original idea to cling to, which is apparently exactly what they're about to do. In a retrospective piece at BBC.co.uk directors Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sanchez said they are in the process of making a third Blair Witch, though probably one bearing little relation to the sequel that the two of them had nothing to do with. Says Sanchez,

"Ideally, each Blair Witch film would be a completely different kind of movie.We've thought about doing a film that takes place in the late 1700s and looks like a [Stanley] Kubrick movie with gritty looking people and lighting. But now, we're thinking about going back and and seeing what happened directly after the first film finished. I think it will have some kind of video element in it, but it won't be a first person hand-held movie."
Source: Cinema Blend

New Images Of ‘The Wolfman’

Some new images have just been released for the upcoming new adaptation of The Wolfman, starring Benicio Del Toro as the titular man-creature. The film has had a troubled production - including a whole new redesign of The Wolfman and many release date changes - but remains a highly-anticipated film nonetheless.

Bloody-Disgusting has the new photos (thanks to user “Mark”), most of which show The Wolfman as the “man” and not the “wolf” (apart from one which shows him in the background and shadowed). We’ve already seen some amazing looking shots of the character in his fully-transformed glory - however, the recent redesign may not resemble those previously released pics. Check out one of the new Wolfman images below:

For the rest of the images, you can head over to Bloody-Disgusting for an exclusive look.

The Wolfman, stars Benicio Del Toro along with Anthony Hopkins, Emily Blunt (pictured above) and Hugo Weaving. It is directed by Joe Johnston (The First Avenger: Captain America), and after many changes, the film is now scheduled for a February 12th, 2010 release.

Source: Bloody Disgusting via Screenrant

Poltergeist Remake Gets a Release Date

ShockTillYouDrop.com
has learned that MGM's planned remake of Tobe Hooper's classic '80s haunted house movie Poltergeist has received a release date of November 24, 2010, Thanksgiving weekend. With director Vadim Perelman (House of Sand and Fog) attached since last September, the production has been in development a long time with a script surfacing last year, but so far, no cast has been announced and no information about where or when they might start filming.

Source: Shock Till You Drop

Bryan Singer is Interested in a Battlestar Galactica Feature Film?

According to HitFix.com, it looks like Universal Pictures could be close to inking a deal with Bryan Singer (Superman Returns) to produce and maybe even direct a Battlestar Galactica feature film.

Currently, no plot or story details have been worked out. Apparently, the studio is waiting to get him on board then they need to find a writer.

This past February Glen Larson put together a deal with Universal to make a Galactica film. Might Singer and Larson be teaming up on this project?

Apparently, Singer and producer Tom DeSanto (Transformers) were putting together a new TV series based on the original Battlestar Galactica show. This was back in 2001 but it ended up not happening.

Source: Movieweb