Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Tools    

Could The Abomination be an Avengers Villain?

In one of last summer’s Marvel movies, The Incredible Hulk, we got to see the Hulk fight a worthy supervillain in the form of The Abomination who’s alter ego, Emil Blonsky, was played by the talented Tim Roth.

SCI FI Wire was in attendance for the Television Critics Association summer press tour this past week and participated in a group interview with Tim Roth who was there for his TV series, Lie to Me. In the interview, Roth could not escape being questioned about his future with Marvel.

In the interview, Roth was asked about his contract with Marvel Studios and if they’ve approached him about doing more movies with them.

“They have, but in a very different way… I don’t want to get into it, but they signed me up for three [films].”
Not surprising considering all of the latest Marvel Studios contracts have included options for multiple films. We saw Samuel L. Jackson sign a whopping 9-picture contract which will undoubtedly see him have roles in every upcoming Marvel film for the next few years. We also know that Scarlett Johansson has a multi-picture deal and will likely have an appearance in the Avengers film after her Black Widow makes her debut next summer in Iron Man 2.

Tim Roth
Roth was then asked for more detail on whether his talks with Marvel were for future Hulk installments and/or for a role in Avengers, and he responded only by saying, “It could be anything.”

Well, he’s sure keeping in tune with his co-star from The Incredible Hulk, Edward Norton, who’s been tight-lipped about his future with Marvel as well. No confirmations or denials from either which makes me hopeful to see them both return.

Could the Abomination be one of the villains to appear in The Avengers? Or could the talks just be for a future Hulk movie? If Tim Roth were in recent discussions with Marvel, the timing’s a little weird to talk about The Incredible Hulk 2 with all of focus being spent on the many confirmed films currently in development, and since we know it won’t happen till after The Avengers (if it happens at all).

Roth is a talented actor and he played his role perfectly in The Incredible Hulk, helping make it the solid film it was. If he is to come back for more, the character will probably differ from the comics so, like the Hulk, he could transform back to his alter ego, Emil Blonsky.

There’s a ton of questions surrounding the villain of the Avengers team-up film, let alone the roster of heroes which has still yet to be confirmed. Here’s hoping to see Hulk be a part of that.

Where do you think Roth could appear next and are you excited to see him back or is this news just an Abomination?

The Avengers is scheduled for a May 4, 2012 release.

Source: Screenrant

ABC's 'V' invading soon

ABC's "V" is invading sooner than you might think. In the final panel of the TCA press tour, producers announced the show will premiere Tuesday, Nov. 3, at 8 p.m., taking over the time slot for "Shark Tank."

"V" was originally planned for midseason, but at Comic-Con producers noted the show had been moved up to November.

Though serialized shows tend to do better in the spring when they can run straight through without interruption from the holidays, going in November could be the smarter play this season. With ABC's "Lost," NBC's "Day One" and Fox's "24" airing in the spring, there's a lot of serialized heavy hitters coming after the first of the year, so launching a sci-fi show in the fall might work better (though there is also, of course, ABC's other sci-fi show, "FlashForward," plus NBC's "Heroes" in the fall).

&e

Source: The Hollywood Reporter's Live Feed

Abrams Snags Writers for Mission: Impossible 4

Josh Applebaum and Andre Nemec have chosen to embark on an impossible mission. The duo have been hired by J.J Abrams and Tom Cruise to write the fourth installment of Cruise’s hugely successful Mission: Impossible franchise.

Applebaum and Nemec first came to Abrams’ attention when they wrote for his Jennifer Garner-starring television show, Alias. The pair were also behind the U.S. version of Life on Mars.

While no story details have been revealed, it’s believed that the script will be based on a story treatment that Abrams wrote with the two screenwriters.

Abrams had this to say:

“I’ve been looking forward to working with Josh and Andre again for years. Their sense of balance between character and action is wonderful, which I know is hugely important to Tom as well. We’re off to an exciting start, so, as usual, fingers crossed.”
No director has yet been hired - it’s not believed that Abrams will be returning to helm, but if it follows the other films in the franchise it’ll probably go to a director who is something of an auteur. Although I think that I’m being a bit too kind to the Star Trek director by saying that.

The Mission: Impossible film franchise is based on a 1960’s television show created by Bruce Geller. The first film, released in 1996 was directed by Brian DePalma. A sequel by John Woo followed in 2000 and Abrams directed the third installment in 2006.

Following the release of Mission: Impossible 3, Cruise had a very public falling out with Paramount Pictures owner Sumner Redstone because of what Redstone called ”behavior unacceptable to Paramount”. The studio then failed to renegotiate Cruise’s longstanding production contract. Mission: Impossible 3 was seen as something of a box office disappointment - it grossed $397 million worldwide compared to the $457 million and $546 million of the first two films.

Following this it was believed that the studio might reboot the franchise with a younger cast or replace Cruise with another A-lister (Brad Pitt was noted at one point). However, earlier in the year it was reported that Cruise and Abrams were working on a new installment of the action franchise.

Mission: Impossible 4 is scheduled to be released in 2011.

Source: Variety via Screenrant

‘The Thing’ Writer Talks Prequel

The prequel to John Carpenter’s The Thing has been quietly rumbling along in development for some time now. We know that Battlestar Galactica’s Ronald D. Moore penned a draft of the script and that Eric Heisserer was brought in to do a rewrite for the film which is to be directed by Matthijs van Heijningen Jr.

Heisserer has recently been doing some on-set publicity interviews for New Line Cinema’s A Nightmare on Elm Street reboot and while doing this, he gave away a few plot points as well as some information on when The Thing might start shooting.

Carpenter’s 1982 film was a “re-imagining” of the Howard Hawks-produced film The Thing From Another World from 1951. The Master of Horror’s film is set in an Antarctic research station where a shape-shifting alien kills the men stationed there one by one. Over the course of the film, the men discover that a similar “thing” happened to members of a Norwegian camp. This new film will focus on these events.

Speaking to Bloody Disgusting, Heisserer said:

“It’s a really fascinating way to construct a story because were doing it by autopsy, by examining very, very closely everything we know about the Norwegian camp and about the events that happened there from photos and video footage that’s recovered. From a visit to the base, the director, producer and I have gone through it countless times marking, you know, there’s a fire axe in the door, we have to account for that… were having to reverse engineer it, so those details all matter to us ‘cause it all has to make sense.”

Ronald D. Moore’s script featured the brother of R.J. MacReady (Kurt Russell in the previous film) and when asked if this character would make it safely through his rewrite, Heisserer was quite tight-lipped.

“That was certainly a character in Ronald Moore’s draft. I can’t comment on whether or not were going to keep that going forward.”
While talking to Bloody Disgusting, the writer also said that production on the film could start as early as January 2010.

It shows that The Thing is still moving through production and that it is still a high priority for Universal Pictures.

Will MacReady’s brother be featured in this new film? How will they fit him into the plot and more importantly - will Kurt Russell play his own (older) brother?

Source: Bloody Disgusting via Screenrant

'V for Vendetta' Director Takes on Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Raven'

James McTeigue, director of The Invasion, V for Vendetta and the forthcoming Ninja Assassin, has been tapped to helm The Raven for FilmNation Entertainment and Endgame, reports /Film. “It’s like the poem, 'The Raven', itself, crossed with Se7en," he tells the site. "It should be pretty cool. The script is really good and everyone responds to it really well. I’m in the middle of casting.” Written by Hannah Shakespeare and Ben Livingston, the film is a thriller set in the last days of Edgar Allan Poe's life, when he gets wrapped up in a serial killer investigation.

Source: /Film via Bloody Disgusting

More 'Halloween 2' Photos and a Cool Interactive Website

Below are some stills for Rob Zombie's upcoming Halloween 2. Don't forget to check out the 'Halloween II' Trick or Treat Experience, where if you have a web cam or some photos you too can experience the deranged world that Michael inhabits.

Also, a new H2 promo is posted below as well. Enjoy!

&e

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Pictures aren't working.

Langella And Brolin For Wall Street 2

Frank Langella is joining the cast of Oliver Stone’s Wall Street sequel according. Langella was last seen being nominated for an Oscar, for his amazing portrayal of Richard M. Nixon in last year’s Frost/Nixon.

The film, titled Wall Street 2: Money Never Sleeps, brings back Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko, the greedy, ruthless stockbroker; and pairs him with Shia LaBeouf as a greedster in training. Langella will play Shia’s mentor, an old school broker. It’s not a minor role, Variety says his “fate plays a major part in the film's plot.”

Josh Brolin is also rumored to be considering a part of the film. No word on who he’d play.

Source: Cinema Blend

Battlestar's Adama Joining The Green Hornet

Hollywood Snitch caught up with Edward James Olmos ("Blade Runner", "Battlestar Galactica" ) at Wizard World Chicago Comic-Con, and Olmos let them know that he’ll be in The Green Hornet. No word on what part he’ll play.

"I'm on my way to do The Green Hornet," Olmos told Hollywood Snitch. "It'll be a lot of fun.

The Green Hornet will star Seth Rogen, Cameron Diaz and Taiwanese actor Jay Chou, who was just announced as Stephen Chow's replacement as sidekick Kato. It is scheduled for release in 2010.

Source: Hollywood Snitch

Red Dawn Remake Adds Cast

EW.com got a scoop on the remaining cast members who will fill out MGM's remake of the 80s cult favorite Red Dawn. Unfortunately, they chose to break the news in the most irritating way possible. So while you have the option of clicking through their slideshow, you can also get the casting information below, learning who will join Chris Hemsworth, Josh Peck and Adrianne Palicki in the fight against the Commies-- or whoever the era-appropriate villain will be this time.

There's the requisite rising kid star Josh Hutcherson, of Bridge to Terabithia and Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D, who will be taking the role originated by C. Thomas Howell. Isabel Lucas, who played the only Autobot in history to take human form in Transformers 2, will play the girl role originally played by Lea Thompson. Celebrity spawn Connor Cruise will step into Darren Dalton's original part, and Edwin Hodge will play Danny, the role originally played by Brad Savage.

MGM's remake of Red Dawn is scheduled to hit theaters September 24, 2010.

Source: Cinema Blend

Louis Leterrier Wants Avengers To Rule Your Summer

Jon Favreau shrugged off the question during the Iron Man 2 panel at Comic Con, and now The Incredible Hulk director Louis Leterrier is grappling with it in The LA Times.

And actually, the idea he has for making The Avengers movie is a pretty good one:

I’ll tell you my real dream: To work with [Captain America director] Joe Johnston and [Thor director] Kenneth Branagh and Jon Favreau and make like a triptych. We do four movies. We release them one a month for the summer. Or even every two weeks or three weeks. And the whole summer would be Avengers summer. So we do it the way they make television shows. One story arc but told in installments by different directors. So all of the directors that touch part of the Avengers world would do a part; we could make the movies shorter, maybe less than an hour and a half, and we use the same sets and save Marvel money. I would love to sit around a table with all of them a kick around the story. That’s my dream.

Source: The L.A. Times via Cinema Blend

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
That idea doesn't sound too bad, but will never in a million years happen.

Jim Carrey Out, But Paul Giamatti In for The Three Stooges?

SlashFilm recently discovered an article on Boston.com that has a few interesting casting changes. They're reporting that Jim Carrey, who was originally on-board to play Curly, has since dropped out, but they don't have a replacement just yet. Additionally, they say that Paul Giamatti has signed on to replace Sean Penn as Larry, since he is taking time off from acting.

Even in the rumor stage the cast was a revolving door of A-list Hollywood names, and Benicio del Toro remains the only cast member still on board after the initial casting announcement. Farrelly wasn't saying who would replace Carrey, though Johnny Depp's name had been tossed around frequently.

Source: FirstShowing.net and Cinema Blend

Courteney Cox Offers Up a Few More 'Scream 4' Hints

Courtney Cox, who is set to star in a fourth Scream movie, elaborated on a few details that were revealed by writer Kevin Williamson a couple of days ago about the sequel, which picks up the story 10 years after the events in 2000's Scream 3. Cox will reprise the role of TV reporter Gale Weathers.

"She has a kid now," Cox said in a group interview Saturday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Pasadena, Calif., where she was promoting her ABC show Cougar Town. "She's married to Dewey."

Scream 3 ended with Deputy Dewey (David Arquette, Cox's real-life husband) proposing to local newswoman-turned-true-crime guru Gale. The characters bonded during their investigation of the first Scream murders, through the campus crimes of Scream 2 and the film-within-the-film of Scream 3.

Williamson previously described Scream 4 as the beginning of a new trilogy. Cox has no trepidations about beginning another three films. "No, because [I take things] one day at a time," she said. "But I heard the idea for Scream 4, and it's fantastic."

Source: Sci Fi Wire

New 'The Twilight Saga: New Moon' Trailer With 'Bandslam' This Weekend

Summit Entertainment has announced that this Friday a new The Twilight Saga: New Moon trailer will be in front of all copies of their new movie Bandslam. And to make sure everyone hears about it, tomorrow morning at 6am PST/9am EST, they’re going to release 14 seconds of the trailer across the internet.

Source: Collider

Look Out Japan: Here Comes Wolverine!

Like it, love it or leak it, there is no denying that the summer of 2009 started off with a bang when X-Men Origins: Wolverine slashed and hacked its way into theaters and into the top 10 grossing movies of the summer. Box Office Mojo currently has it listed at number 8 domestically with $179 million. Combine that with the additional $170 million for foreign sales and is it really any surprise that we are hearing Hugh Jackman talking about a sequel?

During the Teen Choice Awards (which took place this weekend but airs tonight on Fox), Wolverine actually won the action/adventure category but there is a better-than-slim chance tweens across the continent tried to write in Twilight instead. While accepting his surfboard award (whatever happened to trophies?), Hugh “6 Blades” Jackman threw out this quip:

“Who knows, maybe Wolverine will use one of these when he heads to Japan.”

During a backstage video interview, which you can watch here from MTV, Jackman added:

“The ‘going to Japan’ was pretty serious, the ‘using the surfboard’ was not. Not a lot of surfing in Japan. Japan is where we’re heading, [and] we’re starting to work on it now. We’re in the … first steps of developing that story.”
In one of the after-credits segments (there were multiple secret endings) of Wolverine, audiences were treated to a scene of Logan drinking in a Japanese bar, which sort of verified what most of us were hoping - Wolverine 2 would follow the Frank Miller and Chris Claremont storyline which is still wildly popular in the comic world. In their sprawling saga, Wolverine learns to have more control over his rage, to focus it with meditation and use it to his advantage. He has always been a brawler but during this saga he learns to become a skilled fighter using more than just the blades in his arms to fight.

Jackman has never kept it to himself on how important it is to bring that story to life and how much he thinks fans want to see it told as well.

“I think the fans love that saga. It’s my favorite saga of the Wolverine stories. That’s a movie I’ve longed to make from the beginning, so that’s where we’re heading.”
Wolverine 2 has no officially scheduled release date.

No Surprise: 'G.I. Joe 2' is Definitely In The Works

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra managed to take in $100 million at the worldwide box office including a better-than-expected take of $56.2 million domestically. And although the film cost upwards of $300 million to make and market (and word of mouth hasn’t exactly been all that glowing), this first-week victory seems to have been substantial enough for Paramount to absolutely move forward with a $equel.

Now, it was reported before that G.I. Joe 2 was happening, but the LA Times was the first to confirm it: the paper scored a quote from Paramount Pictures vice chairman Rob Moore stating that the sequel “will soon go into development.” The report further indicated that Rise of Cobra’s lead actors are all obligated to return for another film, although director Stephen Sommers - who has been the center of some controversy over this film - is not.

Those who have seen G.I. Joe already know (for the most part) that the film miraculously succeeds in being enjoyable, even though it screws the pooch in just about every area possible - script, acting, uneven f/x, etc. Moore hinted to the LA Times that the studio is thinking that next time out, G.I. Joe will be marketed as more of a family-friendly film, as that seems to be strongest demographic (read: kids who don’t care about dialogue and parents who are at least semi-entertained) that is turning out to see the movie.

For those paying attention, you’ll remember that Rise of Cobra was rushed into production (including the drafting of the so-called script) in anticipation of the WGA Strike, which effectively crippled Hollywood in late 2007 through early 2008. Will a G.I. Joe sequel turn out more cohesive and polished given proper time to develop? We’ll find out.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra is now in theaters.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Moore hinted to the LA Times that the studio is thinking that next time out, G.I. Joe will be marketed as more of a family-friendly film, as that seems to be strongest demographic (read: kids who don’t care about dialogue and parents who are at least semi-entertained) that is turning out to see the movie.
Basically, they're going to turn it into something similar to Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Terrible idea. Work harder on a decent script and the sequel might do better.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Not One, But Three More Underworld Movies?

If you thought the news of Underworld 4 coming our way in 3D was a surprise, how about the idea of an entire new trilogy of 'Underworld' films!

According to Ryan Rotten at ShockTillYouDrop.com, insiders have informed him that Sony’s Screen Gems is looking to launch not one new film, but three. Interestingly, the report claims that they’re looking at the story centering in on the character of Selene, played by Kate Beckinsale in the original two 'Underworld' films.

Nothing’s confirmed yet, but bringing back the hot star of the first two is what many fans wanted instead of the Rise of the Lycans prequel.

Will this take place also before the first Underworld or will it follow her after the events of Underworld: Evolution? Could this mean that Scott Speedman will be back as well and we’ll get to see what happens with the characters after the crazy ending of Evolution?

Ryan also points out that Patrick Tatopoulos, who’s worked on all three films and directed the third, will not be back for the fourth installment due to his other commitments.

Source: ShockTillYouDrop.com via Screenrant