Movie Tab II

Tools    

Peter Mullan is absolutely mesmerizing, an incredibly charismatic person, I couldn't take my eyes off him. I've never seen him act before so this was quite a surprise. One of the best Ken Loach films...(granted, it's been a while since I've seen the others, may have to revisit them).

Teenagers From Outer Space (1959)

There are times when I'm at a loss for words to talk about a movie, this isn't one of those times. Wow, I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that will say this is a bad movie. Maybe it is, I think I've completely lost all perspective. Mostly I'm just enjoying watching all these older movies and It's not overly important to me for every one of them to be "Oscar worthy".

In this flick a group of men come to earth on their little spaceship (notice how the title is Teenagers from space and yet I said men? Yep.) They come to our planet looking for a place to raise their food supply. They call them Gargons. My mouth began to water because I happen to love seafood and once you see the Gargons, maybe yours will too. The best part for me is later on when the Gargons begin to grow and get as big as houses, which to me just meant more seafood for us, but apparently everyone in the movie thought it meant disaster for the human race, a lot of people don't like seafood I guess.

Eyes in the Night (1942)

Now this was pretty good, Edward Arnold, (who I'm sure I've seen in something before) plays a blind detective with his guide dog Friday. Donna Reed was also in this and she just looked lovely as always.

The Kennel Murder Case (1933)

William Powell! And at the beginning it said William Powell returns as Philo Vance so there's at least one more of these. I've become a Huge fan of William Powell and I plan to see all of his movies at some point. This one doesn't have to many witty one liners and Myrna Loy (bummer) like The Thin Man movies but for a straight mystery it was pretty good.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Peter Mullan is absolutely mesmerizing, an incredibly charismatic person, I couldn't take my eyes off him. I've never seen him act before so this was quite a surprise. One of the best Ken Loach films...(granted, it's been a while since I've seen the others, may have to revisit them).

You don't remember him in Children of Men?

Michael Clayton

I shall answer this with a poem I wrote:

Michael, Michael, Michael
like Sheeba the god of death
You were not that popular
But good at what you did
Wondurfully acted and Wonderfully script
Also, you were Wonderfully Gypt'd

Freeway terror

Just bought this on Tuesday - well worth the $$$. The "Extreme Unrated" edition (whatever that means) is actually a lot better than the version in the theaters - they add about 15 minutes back into the film, and it makes a huge difference. I liked it in theaters, but I like it even better now!

You don't remember him in Children of Men?
Nope. I've looked at his filmography after that post and I don't remember him in Braveheart, Trainspotting or The Magdalen sisters either...although his face does look rather familiar.

OT:

I'm really not sure what to make of it. The story is great but some of the acting is comically bad. Now I understand why some people call it "the greatest B movie ever made". I'm not sure if that was intentional. I think I need to see more films with Marlene Dietrich, she was absolutely stunning.
I guess overall I'd give it

In Children of Men, he plays the military guy who buys dope from Michael Caine and arranges to get Clive Owen and the Mommy INTO the refugee compound.

"Let's see your fugee face."

Put me in your pocket...
Lars and the Real Girl
I love, love, looooved this. So sweet and endearing. Loved the cast.

Trailer park boys(the movie)
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

Why Does Herr R. Run Amok? (Rainer Werner Fassbinder/Michael Fengler, 1970)

First off, I've only watched this once, and I will rewatch it at least one more time, but I might as well call them as I see them and go ahead and share. Fassbinder wrote and directed this film with Fengler, who produced several of his other films. I'm not sure how the directorial responsibilities were split, but it seems to fit into Fassbinder's early period where he was translating his love of antitheatre into antifilm. This movie follows an almost archetypal Fassbinder protagonist, Herr Raab (Kurt Raab), who works in a small Munich office as a draftsman. His wife (Lilith Ungerer) has dreams he will get a promotion and that she can move up from the middle class to the upper middle class. The couple has a young son who seems to suffer from ADHD, but the film was made before there was such an acronym.

This is basically a series of scenes which depict how Herr R. is mostly a withdrawn worker who gets headaches at the end of almost every work day. Everybody in the film seems to think that the epitome of existence is smoking, and most of the characters come across as human enough, but they are completely vapid and unaware of things outside of their own world. Occasionally, Herr R. seems to almost be mentally-deficient, but mostly he's just quiet. My main problem with the film and why I give it the lowest rating of any Fassbinder yet which I've seen is not because the film is incompetent or even induces Fassbinder's desired effect on the viewer. The problem is the film is just too realistically banal. The characters talk but never say anything. There is no communication going on. I admit that this actually adds to the power of the film when something actually significant happens in the final 10 minutes. The viewer feels like a fly on the wall, with Fassbinder's technique of (as always) filming scenes in long takes, but here the camerawork seems to be more home-movieish. I felt like a fly watching this alright, but long before the tragic ending arrives, I wished that I had been squashed by a flyswatter.

For the record, I was ready to give this movie a
before the final 15 minutes. It may strike me as a work of genius next time, but no matter what I think, it's an oppressive film with less cinematic art than other Fassbinder films I've seen. It still contains truth, but it seems too strident and one-note to get anywhere near his best films which are both honest and highly-cinematic.

The Beloved Rogue (Alan Crosland, 1927)

This is one of the best silent films I have ever seen. It's full of action, adventure, romance, comedy, violence and poetry. John Barrymore shines in the role of poet François Villon, who, in early 15th-century France, becomes the biggest enemy AND friend of King Louis XI (Conrad Veidt). Villon leads a group of ragamuffin criminal patriots, and he hates the dreaded usurper, the Duke of Burgundy, as much as Louis fears him. Although Villon is condemned to death by his actions, he eventually earns the right to try to save France and win the hand of Louis' beautiful ward Charlotte (Marceline Day), who has basically been offered to one of Burgundy's henchmen as a sacrifice.

One of my favorite Ronald Colman films is the talkie version of this, called If I Were King (1938), wittily adapted by Preston Sturges. Both Colman and Basil Rathbone as Louis are wickedly hilarious, and that film has much more humor sprinkled throughout. But this version has Barrymore doing an impressive "impression" of Douglas Fairbanks. Barrymore is sliding across rooftops and avoiding adversaries at almost every turn. Also, this film is much more violent than the 1938 film. Villon is captured by Burgundy, whipped, tortured and burned, and that isn't exactly detailed in the Colman version. I highly recommend both versions of this story. This silent one is on DVD, but for some idiotic reason, If I Were King isn't.

Note: Alan Crosland was a talented silent film director who died much too young in 1936 in an auto accident. Before The Beloved Rogue, he worked with Barrymore in the almost-equally impressive Don Juan, and after this film, he directed the immortal The Jazz Singer.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Juno - This was such a funny film, sweet and oddball, with a great soundtrack and great casting. (sadly, I am Jason Bateman in this film, and so are most people that I know. Not really ready to let our younger selves go quite yet.) Ellen Page should have a pretty good career ahead of her (well, as long as she never hosts SNL again. She was so hyper on that, it killed the funny.)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I like your interpretation of the Bateman character. Many people act like he's a child molester, but all he and Juno are actually doing is relating to music. However, if there was something else going on between them, it's only subtext and no more yummy than our current Ben-Hur thread, although it's pretty yummy too.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I like your interpretation of the Bateman character. Many people act like he's a child molester, but all he and Juno are actually doing is relating to music. However, if there was something else going on between them, it's only subtext and no more yummy than our current Ben-Hur thread, although it's pretty yummy too.
What I got from it was that he related to her in a way that he didn't with other adults because he kind of wished he was a teenager still. At no point in the film does he make any moves towards her, though she does have a bit of a crush on him, certainly.

Yes, he fears that he's growing up too fast, even if he is about 35. Think about it. He and his wife cannot have kids. No matter whose kid they have, he's going to freak, but if he meets a teenager (like my daughter) who loves the same music, he'll at least find out if he really likes the same music. It's kinda sad that the movie implies that his wife doesn't like his music, but she has plenty of disappointments with him too!

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Resident Evil: Extinction - not too bad, dont think it got a cinematic release in UK but it was passable. Zombie films arent by any means my fave genre but these films arent too bad. But i get so angry at peoples stupidity in them like they know zombies have to be shot in the head but they still shoot the body and walk away cause they think theyre dead. Theyre never dead when you shoot the body!