Potential Oscar Candidates for 2002

Tools    

There's nothing wrong with patriotism, but assuming that it must be one of the factors in me liking this film....

I'm not so sure you were being a silly sod, butat the same time, I was not being uptight. Me thread was basically proving, I think anyway, that all you've really said is that you hate Moulin Rouge and you pissed on a DVD. It's not really much of an argument for disliking a film [it proves you did, but it don't really say why...]

I'd say read my post again. It makes sense. I wrote it with Holden-like care. [Sorry Holden...Know you didn't care for the film. ] I know you weren't insulting me or my lifestyle [you thinking I'm gay? ]. How was M.R insulting to you, btw?

I'm playing, just like you, but the main point is WHY didn't you like the film? That's all. Just a question. Why didn't you like it? Why wasn't it your bag? There's no real evidence on why you liked the film. Just a bit of rambling and pissing of DVD's.

On another note, I loved "Snatch".

gone
[it proves you did, but it don't really say why...]

I've given reason. Boredom. It did nothing for me. Surely one of the things Moulin Rouge teaches is Love and how you cannot control who you love. Well you cannot control hate either, there's always someone you just don't like and you can't give reason why, you just don't know what it is about them.

I hated that film. It bored me. I wanted to walk out, I couldn't take it any more, everytime they burst into song I wanted to scream "FOR F'SAKE GET ON WITH IT" for me, everything about it was crap, the acting, the music, the sound effects, the over stylized direction, and to even think it was trying to give a message was completely patronizing (someone here or on another thread was talking about it preaching a message of love?!) Surely love is such a natural human emotion that you don't need Moulin Rouge to preach you about it. Unless you've never experienced it and would wish that the love you experienced resembled that of the one portrayed in Moulin Rouge, which is why I called it playground drama.

Then after all the praise and talk of awards I bought the DVD to see what went wrong the first time, maybe it was because of the people I saw it with, nope pretty much same thing and I had wasted money. (www.play.com don't do a return policy on pissed on DVD's)

Now I wish I did a full number 2 on it. Come to think of it. I WILL.

I'm not so sure you were being a silly sod
I think you'll find I always am. Just the lack of emotion that can be portrayed in typing, and because you don't know me. Hold on, that's what emoticons are for! Please explain how urinating on a DVD is violent.

Now With Moveable Parts
Know what? goodf3lla is a funny guy. Seriously. I was laughing the whole time, reading this little match. Silver B.: Party's over,"dood" he out does ya.

What's with all the swearing and toilet humour Goodf3lla? Have a little class, my man.

I have no problem with people contesting their dislike for Moulin Rouge if they have valid opinions for doing so. Sades, I think mentioned the frenetic cutting. This is a valid criticism. The movie took about 40 minutes before capturing me. It was so loud and quick. It was too much for my eyes. But after my eyes and ears got used to this barrage of imagination, I really, really enjoyed it.

I hated that film. It bored me. I wanted to walk out, I couldn't take it any more, everytime they burst into song I wanted to scream "FOR F'SAKE GET ON WITH IT" for me, everything about it was crap, the acting, the music, the sound effects, the over stylized direction, and to even think it was trying to give a message was completely patronizing (someone here or on another thread was talking about it preaching a message of love?!) Surely love is such a natural human emotion that you don't need Moulin Rouge to preach you about it. Unless you've never experienced it and would wish that the love you experienced resembled that of the one portrayed in Moulin Rouge, which is why I called it playground drama.
If you simply don't like musicals then fine Goodf3lla. People have different tastes. I'm indifferent to Science-Fiction films. But you must have realised that Moulin Rouge was a musical before you bought it on DVD - you must have expected that there would be singing in it. How could you be bored? The colour and the hyper-kinetic cutting should prevent any chance of boredom.

Your criticism of the performances, the music, the direction, etc. is childish. To orchestrate people into such choreographed song-and-dance routines is a director's nightmare but Luhrmann did it well. Ewan and Nicole, I think most of the world have accepted, had an undeniable chemistry. The songs have been popular for years now, and could be called classics.

And your argument that a movie shouldn't preach an emotion because it is such a natural human one is idiotic. Why do we go to the movies if not to experience natural human emotions?

Your arguments are senseless.

So in the words of Willy Wonka.

Good Day Sir.

gone
I hope you all don't take yourselves so seriously! eeeek!

I have given Moulin Rouge too many posts as it is. I don't like the f***ing film. I feel emotional hatred towards it. You think it's artistic and it's what you want to see.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by goodf3lla
I hope you all don't take yourselves so seriously! eeeek!

I have given Moulin Rouge too many posts as it is. I don't like the f***ing film. I feel emotional hatred towards it. You think it's artistic and it's what you want to see.
Let's talk about something else...goodf3lla, ever see a movie called A Clockwork Orange? AHaaaHaaHaaBWhaaa....whew. Sorry, that might only be funny to myself.

gone
Let's talk about something else...goodf3lla, ever see a movie called A Clockwork Orange? AHaaaHaaHaaBWhaaa....whew. Sorry, that might only be funny to myself.
Here's the number of my psychiatrist

*hands over a folded piece of paper*

It's the mannerism in which you piss on the DVD.
When you feel emotional hatred towards something, I'd guess that you would piss on it with much gusto. Push harder, perhaps.
Maybe even violently.

Oh, Sades, I'm not in a match, I am not being undone.
Don't make me piss on you, now.

gone
It's the mannerism in which you piss on the DVD
Hey, I didn't really piss on anything you know, I'm house trained.

Oh, I know you didn't really piss on anything.
I'm just saying, pissing can be violent.

Oh God No!!!!!!

Does anybody remember the absoloutley boringly spectularly BAD Oscar Ceremony in 1998? Remember the OH so boring hostess?

Ladies and Gentlemen, I know the show belongs to Mr. Crystal, but for the SECOND YEAR in a row, he won't be appearing. This year, the honor goes to the same woman who hosted 98's "Oscara Boreiella", Whoopi Goldberg.

Now I didn't mind Steve Martin last year, he wasn't Billy, but he wasn't bad. However, and while I like her enough, I can't get over how disturbingly terrible 1998's ceremony was, and yet they're letting her host it again. Forgive me for filling with fear, I must just have to eat my words when she does a good job.

And believe me, I'm PRAYING that she does a good job. I don't think I could stand a repeat of '98.

And now, finally, we're able to start discussing some "nominations". Finally. Now, as I've said there's over 200 films vying for Best Picture, but let's not go into them. Now we actually have a smaller list of films that on February 6th will be screened as 15 minute clip reels for those who are able to select the nominations for the ACHIEVMENT IN VISUAL EFFECTS. Those films are:

AI: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
BLACK HAWK DOWN
CATS AND DOGS
THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS
HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHER/SORCERER'S STONE
JURASSIC PARK III
THE LORD OF THE RINGS : FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
PEARL HARBOUR

They will nut that down into a group of three, the offical nominations - -and which three do you think they'll be? We find out, along with all the other nominations, six days later, on Feb. 12. I can't wait.

As above, three films will be selected in the same manner on the same date from the following list to make up the nominations for ACHIEVMENT IN SOUND EDITING:

A.I: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
AMELIE
BLACK HAWK DOWN
THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING
MONSTERS, INC.
PEARL HARBOUR

Personally, I hope "Monsters, Inc." gets in ahead of something like "Pearl Harbour". The last thing I want to see is "Pearl Harbour" win an Academy Award for anything....

Finally, as the Oscar ceremony is going back to Hollywood this year's 74th Academy Awards poster, is going back to where it all began.....

http://www.oscars.org/publications/poster74/index.html

And with that, I'm done.

gone
I didn't think Lord of the Rings was a spectactular film, but I definately hope it wins best picture.

http://oscars.org/press/index.html

According the the offical Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences site [Oscars.org], "Bob" Redford is getting an honorary Oscar.

That differs to this report:

http://www.filmfestivals.com/cgi-bin...&text_id=21482

from filmfestivals.com which reports that "Syd" Poiter will be recieving an Honorary award.

I suppose we'll see who gets it on March 24th.
For now I'll take the word of the Academy site -- it's an offical press release.

Any views on this? A guy the majority of us said we'd sleep with for a million dollars is getting an award. It's like we have a personal connection!

HA!

"Syd" and "Bob" are both getting honored.
The newspaper told me.

Doesn't anybody care about the Academy Awards?!

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Doesn't anybody care about the Academy Awards?!
I care. I'm dressing up like one the girlies from Moulin Rouge, this year at our Oscar Party. I think I'm going to be a huge LOTR fan, and just root for them all night. They have so much they need recognition for, do you have any idea how difficult and painstaking the making of LOTR, must have been? Even if they don't sweep it this year, there's two more coming...I haven't seen a lot of the other nominated movies, I've got lots of homework to do before March! Gotta catch them all...

I have already started the countdown. We're so close to nominations now, and my God, once they're in place....

...well, the games will begin.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yes, it's all very exciting...*pant pant*

I Am Sam should go up as best picture or at least Sean Penn to be nominated or even his daughter in the movie. The movie was outstanding, touching, and powerful. It deserves all the credit.

Guy
here's my prediction on the 5 best picture nominations on what will be nominated

fellowship of the ring
a beautiful mind
moulin rouge
in the bedroom
black hawk down

I originally thought mullholland drive would be there, but since america is going through the whole patriotic thing, I put in black hawk.

If it was up to me, I would vote

royal tenenbaums
fellowship
moulin rouge
memento
mullhulland drive

(haven't seen in the bedroom)

Apparently, I am Sam is a sad attempt at just getting Penn the Oscar he deserves (but of course, not for this film). Ever since Ed Norton acted retarded in The Score, well, retarded characters haven't had as much as an impact as they used to.

He won't get the award, and nor will the film be nominated for Best Picture.