Potential Oscar Candidates for 2002

Tools    

I am going to extremes, exactly, and you're proving once again that you can't handle them.

I'm not saying that just because I liked it, it was good.
But just because you didn't like it doesn't make it bad.

It's a two-edged knife, being opinionated, ain't it now?

Now With Moveable Parts
I can handle the TRUTH!

Or rather, you can handle REALISM. REALITY.

Anything beyond that gives you a cardiac arrest....

There's more to life than what you can see here in the real world.

Now With Moveable Parts
Yes, sixteen year old boy. I have much to learn.

Just 'cos I;m sixteen doesn't mean I'm not wise beyond my years.

Really though, my age doesn't matter in the way I can see things and read between the lines -- it's like kids seeing animals in the clouds.

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
Or rather, you can handle REALISM. REALITY.

Anything beyond that gives you a cardiac arrest....

There's more to life than what you can see here in the real world.
Yeah, but all of this, over a movie? How well do you think you know this girl? Because I can tell you a thing or two about the real world, pal.

I think you have no idea what I'm saying, Sades.

I am saying that you UNDERSTAND and can HANDLE reality. And not even you, but people in general. I'm not saying I get reality, I'm saying YOU get reality. I'm saying you don't get the hightened world, the extremitys, the alternate sub-world on which a film like Moulin Rouge is based.

I know I don't get reality, that's what I'm saying.

Argh, I hate it when discussions like this get really abstract...this conversation is too removed from reality, IMO. I haven't seen "Moulin Rouge!," but I will say that if they really do have someone singing "Like a Virgin" in it, well, I can't say that SOUNDS like it would fit. I'll have to see the movie to know for sure, but, as usual, I don't think we need to assume that someone is incapable of handling certain movies if they didn't like this one. Not liking one movie is hardly grounds for broad statements about the public's cinematic tastes.

Now With Moveable Parts
Silver B.- Um. Okay. I have no idea what you're talking about. That's not sarcasm either. I really don't know what you're talking about.*shrugging shoulders*

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I saw Moulin Rouge. Pity Me. It was a mess, and I think that it's salad shooter style of editing is for me indicative of what's terribly wrong with modern cinema. Does Baz Luhrmann have ADD or something? Also, by the time the guys in tuxedos entered singing the chorus to Smells Like Teen Spirit, I wanted to stomp the dvd into oblivion. You just don't desecrate Nirvana and live to tell about it. This is probably a good movie to teenage girls, the same folks who liked Titanic (Which I truly despised, not because it was a terrible movie, but because it was Mediocre as all hell yet won like every Oscar.), but I'm a 26 year old man, and I really HATED Moulin Rouge. There, I said it. I really wanted to hit John Leguizamo, too.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

I'm right, you're wrong. You all eat poo.

To each his own.

I bow out. I hate fighting, and this has descended into fighting.

"Smells Like Teen Spirit"? Is that some kind of joke? Please tell me that's not actually in the movie. PLEASE. If it is in the movie, just cough or something...I don't want to actually hear it. I can't fathom how that could possibly be anything other than...well, stupid. Maybe the movie does a great job of setting it up...but, well, it's hard to even imagine.

I liked how the music was used in Moulin Rouge - it was all about excess, just throwing everything possible at the screen, and in my opinion, it worked. Worked well. Just a snippet of Smells Like Teen Spirit was used, and that worked well too. Just one line from the song is in the movie: "Here we are now, entertain us." When you see it, you'll understand how fitting it really is.

Had nothing to do with content, extremities, format; just plain, style. It was loud, jumbled, chaotic, and unfocused.
That's the point. It was pretty much a hit-or-miss with people. Either you cave in and be swept away, or you try to keep yourself composed and keep distanced from the screen. Some movie fans don't like movies where you can't think about your grocery list during the dialogue scenes.

i think moulon rouge will sweep the oscars this year.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Well, I personally doubt that, allthough I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.

I think that if the Academy finally want to prove that a film can be brilliant without the use of psycho-realism and heady drama, then now is the time. I think it's time that the Academy can make a stand and say that it takes just as good a director, or cinematographer or editor or song or soundtrack or anything to make a hard-to-comprehend film [Mulholland Dr.] or Taragi-Comedic Musical [Moulin Rouge] as it does any film. I think both Peter Jackson [who might win] and Baz Luhrmann are deserving of the award [and I'm leaning towards Baz] for Best Director, and that Moulin Rouge [as a film] is deserving of at least a Best Film nomination. People tend to forget about the way these things are made. Moulin Rouge was a huge undertaking. It was eloborate and extreme and the creation of it, it truly lends itself to be one of the best films of the year. I don't think it WILL be nominated for much other than perhaps direction and technical awards, and it won't [and shouldn't] get acting awards, but if the Academy want to finally prove themselves to a film public that is steadily losing respect for it, this year is the year.

Now With Moveable Parts
you said you were bowing out, Silver B., then somebody gets on to defend your precious Moulin Rouge, and you're back in the game. How convienient.

I said I was bowing out of the argument. As, and I quote "I hate fighting."

I wasn't by any means bowing out of the Oscars thread. That leaves me without Oscars discussion for nearly two months. Screw that.

Besides, it became a totally different argument when saying it should clean up the Osacrs, because I don't agree with that. It should do well, but it won't, really, I don't think. That's a much different debate to the who expanded reality talk that I was having [with myself, as no one knows what I was on about.]

gone
******, I slept right through this debate

The only reason some people don't like it is because of these extremities -- they don't know how to hnadle them because they haven't been subjected to them before -- and that's the oft-boring psycho-realism and overly-dramatic dramas that Hollywood has become fixated with in quest for awards.

That's because it was computer generated.

Yeah. So was the Titanic, the attack on Pearl Harbour and whatever else dramatic "real emotional" crap Hollywood has churned out in a while.
Silver bullet dood, they're all ****e. You want to know extreme? Watch Salo 120 days of sodom, what the hell is extreme about this film? it's run of the mill crap, with cartoon sound effects, the only difference between this film and pearl harbour/titanic is that it was over-stylized, which some people may like. I like Ewan and I like Nicole, but I hated this film. I just couldn't get into it. It felt like I was forced to watch someone watching it. It's a pop musical for fcks sake!

As for the computer generated comment, you've taken it out of context, it was in reference to some fella's comment about him not seeing such a Paris before.

Are you sure there isn't some kind of Australian patriotism involved here?

*goodf3lla urinates on Moulin Rouge DVD which asked for it, then urinates on the s *** censored *** t

As for reality conversation, wtf!

This is the difference between people who like something and dislike something. The people who like it tend to be passionate, or passionately calm. I'm been more on the offense, but oh well.

People who dislike it, as Good3lla just showed us, tend to be ridiculously violent and inconclusive.

And what's wrong with a pop musical? You don't like it? That's fine. That's fine. Thankyou for telling us WHY.....

Regarding computer technology, I was simply making a comment between someone's comment that the Paris was computerised. So was the sinking of the Titanic. Not out of context. Just fact. Perhaps MY comment was taken out of context in being mistaken for being taken out of context?

That's a bit pathetic really? Do you like most American films because you're American? Holy Lord. I liked Moulin Rouge because I thought it was a great film. I liked Lord of the Rings too. Maybe I'm ebing biased because it's from the South Pacific? Just because you enjoy a film doesn't mean it is a bad film that everyone should dislike, does it now? I'm sure you would defend a film you like just as much? Yes? That's a pretty shocking comment. I like very few Australian films, and I liked this one just as much as any film that came from anywhere else in the world. You're obviously biased too, if we're all patriotic about our films. I like the film on it's credits. That was a fairly low last resort at making me admitting to disliking the film -- because you don't like, it obviously means we all don't and I;m just saying that because of Australia. No mate, no.

And the violent comments about the DVD, it just shows how utterly in control you are.

Thankyou for actually giving us reasons why you disliked the film, and not opting out to attack me. Great post.

gone
Relax guy! I'm being the usual silly and stupid sod that I am.

Don't take offense, I'm just someone who posts on a bulletin board, I'm not insulting you or your lifestyle, just Moulin Rouge, which I found insulting.

And the violent comments about the DVD, it just shows how utterly in control you are.
Violent comments? What's so violent about soiling a DVD? Had I jumped on it and smashed it to bits then maybe I would have considered joining an anger management course, but erm, huh!

Just because you enjoy a film doesn't mean it is a bad film that everyone should dislike, does it now?
I did not say that, watch your mouth boy. What's wrong with patriotism, snatch and lock stock are good, not amazing, but due to the state of all the British films being produced these days I would go as far as to say they're classic! Why! BECAUSE WE DON'T MAKE ANYTHING DECENT DAMNIT (me bangs hand on desk courtroom drama stylee). Anyway....

Stop being so godamned uptight, and does it help if I say I don't have a clue what you mean in half of your post?

People who dislike it, as Good3lla just showed us, tend to be ridiculously violent and inconclusive.
What does that mean?