Potential Oscar Candidates for 2002

Tools    

I have one prediction to make, and I'm fairly confident of it:

Sean Penn will win Best Actor for I Am Sam.

He's never won, and he plays a retard. 1 + 1 = 2.

...Of course, I could very well be wrong, but I'm also fairly confident of who will win if Penn doesn't take it:

Will Smith. Obviously. Just look at him in the trailer, it's remarkable what's he done physically alone (and the academy loves that crap). I can't wait to see him say "I'm so bad I make medicine sick". It looks like a great performance, and of course I'm probably wrong, but there you have it. Those are my two guaranteed picks. Both will get nominated, one will win.

Yes, likely...but early reviews have "Ali" as less than amazing...if the movie itself is a dissapointment, one of two things will happen: 1) Smith's role will be diminshed, or B) Smith will be hailed just as much, if not more, for giving a brilliant performance in a less than brilliant film. And yes, retard == nominated. Like Kip Ramsay said (quoting roughly): "go get me a role as a black, retarded slave. Then I'll get the Oscar."

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by sadesdrk
Guess what!?

I have a new prediction. Just saw the previews for I Am Sam. It stars Micheal Phiffer and Sean Penn. Sean Penn plays a mentaly challenged individual that is fighting for his right to raise his daughter...looks like Phiffer plays an attorney that gets pretty involved in the case. Anytime a movie comes out this close to next year, and the lead role is someone mentaly or physically challenged( think Forrest Gump and My Left Foot) there usually is major Oscar pull. I'm going Sean Penn, for at least a nomination.
See this Steve? Already posted this on like, page 6 of this thread...we're on like, 13 or something now...step ahead of you pal.

According to the Academy Website [not the Awards one, the Academy one] it was that there are 248 feature films elligible for Academy Award consideration.

Well. There you go.

How many do you think are REALLY up for serious consideration. About 7?

the royal tenebaums
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I think two are guaranteed for picture: A Beautiful Mind and Lord of the Rings. Both are quality movies, I'd say - no complaints, I mean they could have chosen something like Life as a House. Still, I'm hoping that against all odds the best picture nominees will include Mulholland Drive, Vanilla Sky, The Royal Tenenbaums, and Amelie. And in an ideal world, David Lynch would win best director, Ghost World would win adapted screenplay (to hell with LOTR), and Royal Tenenbaums would win original screenplay.

I originally thought Ali would be up for lots of awards, but after seeing it I don't think it's that great - just halfway decent. There's lots of editing problems and such, it's sort of an uneven, choppy movie. Will Smith is fantastic though, and if he's nominated you'll hear no complaints from me.

So, I think that for best picture, the nominees will be as follows:
  • Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring
  • A Beautiful Mind
  • Memento
  • In the Bedroom

That's not a bad list - all of them are stellar flicks. I don't know what the fifth movie will be, possibly Amelie, but maybe something like Black Hawk Down could get it. Or if I Am Sam and Gosford Park are well-recieved, I dunno. But I'm pretty sure of those movies above. Your thoughts?

My thoughts? Oh man, you asked for it.

to hell with LOTR
That MUST be a joke. Even if you didn't like the movie, you must realize that LOTR: FOTR has got to be one of the hardest books to adapt to the screen in existence. No film would receive the level of detailed criticism as this film, and few fans are as loyal and devout as Tolkien fans. The guy completely invented a world with it's own history and languages. He created maps and legends. And it was all adapted into a good, no, great movie that very few Tolkienheads are complaining about. If it does NOT win Best Adapted Screenplay, I'll weep like a baby.

IMO, LOTR will definitely get a nominated. If it wins, I won't complain; I think it's worthy. I haven't seen "A Beautiful Mind" yet, so I'll hold off judgement on that. What I don't like, though, is that, as some people have said, "Mind" seems like the type of film created to get a Best Picture nomination. You know what I mean, too. LOTR, I think, is a bit of an Oscar underdog in a way. I don't know what we see many films like that winning Oscars. Seems they go more to drama...films where people have sex, die, or both. (that's a joke, don't get all technical on me.)

I hope LOTR: FOTR takes it. I really do. Best Score (I dunno what the award is specifically called), Best Adapted Screenplay, maybe Best Director, and Best Picture. I doubt it'll take all four, but I'll be hoping for it anyway.

No matter what, though, someone's gonna have some legit gripes...whether LOTR wins or not.

Originally posted by TWTCommish
That MUST be a joke. Even if you didn't like the movie, you must realize that LOTR: FOTR has got to be one of the hardest books to adapt to the screen in existence. No film would receive the level of detailed criticism as this film, and few fans are as loyal and devout as Tolkien fans. The guy completely invented a world with it's own history and languages. He created maps and legends. And it was all adapted into a good, no, great movie that very few Tolkienheads are complaining about. If it does NOT win Best Adapted Screenplay, I'll weep like a baby.

IMO, LOTR will definitely get a nominated. If it wins, I won't complain; I think it's worthy. I haven't seen "A Beautiful Mind" yet, so I'll hold off judgement on that. What I don't like, though, is that, as some people have said, "Mind" seems like the type of film created to get a Best Picture nomination. You know what I mean, too. LOTR, I think, is a bit of an Oscar underdog in a way. I don't know what we see many films like that winning Oscars. Seems they go more to drama...films where people have sex, die, or both. (that's a joke, don't get all technical on me.)

I hope LOTR: FOTR takes it. I really do. Best Score (I dunno what the award is specifically called), Best Adapted Screenplay, maybe Best Director, and Best Picture. I doubt it'll take all four, but I'll be hoping for it anyway.
I don't think the adaptation was bad at all. I just enjoyed Ghost World much more than I enjoyed LOTR, and it seems like LOTR is a shoo-in for that award. I want the underdog to win it. Don't get me wrong, I love the novels, and I was real surprised at how well it was adapted. It deserves the nomination it'll undoubtedly get. I'm just not as big a fan of LOTR as everyone else is. I respect it, I think its a really good movie, I just had my problems with it. The adaptation, well, mostly, is spectacular.

I wouldn't be averse to a nomination for Ian McKellen in LOTR. He was awesome, as he always is. Best director, I'm not so sure...but that's because of how many other great directors made movies this year.

And I agree with you about the drama thing - comedies and adventure movies are waaay underrated. A Beautiful Mind is a tailor-made oscar flick, but it's a really good one. I was expecting a typical biopic, but it's really engaging and compelling. I don't think Ron Howard is a hack anymore...I wasn't about to forgive him for The Grinch, but alas. The fact that Russell Crowe won for Gladiator last year is sort of depressing, because that really slims his chances for Mind, which is eons better than that Rome flick.

Yeah, well-stated: tailored to win an Oscar. As for LOTR: I don't think liking the movie is quite as important for the Best Adapted Screenplay award as it is for some others. You may dislike the entire story...all that matters is how well the story was adapted to the screen, and, given the difficult of this particular adaption, I think the choice is clear.

And yeah, adventure movies do get ignored. I don't know if any of the Indiana Jones movies were nominated (sorry, I feel stupid admitting that I have no clue there), but they seem worthy to me. It's no less valuable to make someone laugh, or gasp, than it is to make them cry, or think. I'd love to see a real, honest adventure story like LOTR take home a few major Oscars.

I haven't seen Ghost World: didn't play out here (and yeah, it does tick me off). I'm not sure about McKellan; he was great, but I'd be lying if I said I perferred his performance to Elijah Wood's. I can't get over Wood's facial expressions, especially around the end. The guy brought me to tears more than once...though Sean Astin had a hand in that, for sure. You'd think that, though, out of all those amazing performances, and so many supporting roles, at least ONE of them would garner a Supporting nomination, eh? It's hard to say whether any of them will, though. Even harder to say which it would be.

Raiders of the Lost Ark was nominated for Best Picture (losing to Chariots of Fire). Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture (losing to Annie Hall). The Fugitive was nominated for Best Picture (losing to Schindler's List). The Adventures of Robin Hood was nominated (losing to You Can't Take it with You). The Wizard of Oz was nominated (losing to Gone with the Wind).

It happens, but these kinds of movies rarely win the big award, especially if mixed with a Fantasy element. Gladiator and Braveheart are the closest things to an "adventure movie" recently to win Best Picture, though their inclusion will depend on how you define the term.

I wouldn't expect The Fellowship of the Ring to win the Oscar, no. It may get a nomination, but not the win.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally posted by Steve

Back on topic - I think A Beautiful Mind is going to suck, and the academy is going to lap it up.
Hahahahaha, I was just reading through the thread and I came across this. No wonder I was so pleasantly surprised. I really liked it, I'll eat my words now.

...I still think the academy is going to lap it up....I personally hope that if it wins anything, it'll be for Jennifer Connelly's great performance as Nash's wife.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
LOTR would surely win for Adapted Screenplay, but it would be very generous for the Academy to consider a less popular movie for once. Don't think it would happen, but doesn't hurt to wish for things from time to time.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Raiders of the Lost Ark was nominated for Best Picture (losing to Chariots of Fire). Star Wars was nominated for Best Picture (losing to Annie Hall). The Fugitive was nominated for Best Picture (losing to Schindler's List). The Adventures of Robin Hood was nominated (losing to You Can't Take it with You). The Wizard of Oz was nominated (losing to Gone with the Wind).
I did know that "Star Wars" was nominated...which I, obviously, felt it deserved. Personally, though, I enjoyed "The Last Crusade" as much, if not more, than "Raiders of the Lost Ark." I think you're probably right: nominated, by nothing more. Though I wouldn't be so sure just yet. I wouldn't feel any more comfortable putting my money on any of the other potentials as of right now.

Fellowship of the Ring may win for adapted screenplay, sure of a nomination anyway, but I suspect the frontrunner in that category is going to be Christopher Nolan for his brilliant Memento. And rightly so. It would certainy get my vote.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Fellowship of the Ring may win for adapted screenplay, sure of a nomination anyway, but I suspect the frontrunner in that category is going to be Christopher Nolan for his brilliant Memento. And rightly so. It would certainy get my vote.
What was Memento based on?

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Oh yeah, forgot about Memento. The entire short story is also available on the DVD.

It would definitley get my vote for best adapted screenplay.

TWT, I thought Ian McKellen's performance was much better than Wood as Frodo. However, Frodo has gotten a lot worse reviews for his role than I expected -- I did think he was very good.

Last night / Yesterday "Fellowship of the Ring" won the American Film Institute award for best film.