Road House

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I noticed that the movie just went to Prime right away, without even going to theaters first. But isn't the original Road House a popular enough cult classic, that the remake could have went to theaters first?

I noticed that the movie just went to Prime right away, without even going to theaters first. But isn't the original Road House a popular enough cult classic, that the remake could have went to theaters first?
I never even heard of this movie until @AgrippinaX brought it up today.

And I can watch it for free on Prime. Yea.

Director wanted the movie in theaters, but production released it straight to streaming.

Director wanted the movie in theaters, but production released it straight to streaming.
Oh I see. Did the production have a reason to sklp theaters and thereby skip making more money on ticket sales?

Oh I see. Did the production have a reason to sklp theaters and thereby skip making more money on ticket sales?
Are you seriously that preoccupied with Amazon making enough money?

Besides, with theater chains taking a big cut of ticket sales, it's pretty unlikely the movie would have made money for a studio.

Oh but why wouldn't they have money for a studio?

ROAD HOUSE Remake Director BLASTS Amazon For Lies & Boycotts HIS OWN FILM:

Well it seems that other movies, like that Batgirl movie from a couple of years ago for example, was never released at all, by the studio, and of course people involved were disappointed. When a director signs on to direct a movie, can they have it in the contract that the film will get a theaterical release, or is that too big of a demand for almost all directors to make and it would not be taken seriously?

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
ROAD HOUSE Remake Director BLASTS Amazon For Lies & Boycotts HIS OWN FILM:
He originally did boycott it, but he ended up going to the SXSW premiere. His boycott involved his not going to the premiere at the festival, but he ultimately did so to support the film.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/r...tt-1235935644/

If he says he wasn't going to go originally, he should have stuck to that, because it comes off as not being consistent or lacking conviction otherwise.

Streaming services have been toying with this, wondering if foregoing the box office money is worth it to drive signups to (and/or awareness of) their streaming platforms. My inclination is they're probably coming out behind on the bargain, and that they'd get most of the benefit (and a lot more money) by releasing it in theaters for 4-6 weeks at least. But who knows, it's one of those things that's impossible to measure the efficacy of.

Oh okay I see. That makes sense.

I was also curious, how come they decided to remake Road House of all movies? It just seems like such an odd random choice from the time. Wouldn't that be like choosing to remake a movie like Above the Law (1988), or Lone Wolf McQuade (1983), which would be kind of odd or random?

Road House has way more of a cult following than either of those.

And sometimes it's as simple as "a screenwriter had an idea/loved this old movie and wanted to remake it."

Oh okay. Is there any reason why Road House has more of a cult following than those movies since those movies seem to be in the same league?

I haven't seen them, so I don't know, but cult followings have nothing to do with quality. Often they're inversely related to it. They're unpredictable and have a million variables.

Watched it today. It doesn't live up to the original, but that's okay. it is its own beast, thanks to Jake Gyllenhaal's performance as former fighter Elwood Dalton. He comes off as mostly a pacifist who likes to warn his adversaries what will come or ask if there is a hospital nearby or having insurance. We learn why Dalton becomes who he is. When things go too far, that's when he kicks into gear and begins to use his skills. Daniela Melchior is good as "Doc" this time around, but don't expect a raunchy love scene like the OG film...not happening. The only nudity in the film is Conor McGregor's intro, when he walks around the streets of Rome buck naked. That's the level of OTT he brings to the table as does Billy Magnussen, as the businessman attempt to shake down the road house (which has no name...just called the Road House).

There is a fun reference though to the OG. Dalton befriends a bookstore owner and his daughter and the name of the restaurant next to the bookstore is called the "Double Deuce". Solid B-film that runs just over 2 hours and no Wade Garrett-like character this time.
Jake G. was very good. Conor McGregor ruined the movie.