The Zone of Interest (2023)

Tools    

Turning this around, how many people died in concentration camps due to the fact that they closed their eyes to what was actually happening under the Nazis until it was too late?
Exactly....it won't happened to me because I'm not one of "them".

A way-back experience for me was in college when a history prof introduced himself with his hefty accent, and said that, like the rumors about him, he was in the nazi youth and the German army during that era. His story was that, as long as it was all about uniforms, camping out and torchlight parades, it was a lot of fun; kinda like Boy Scouts with guns. He would not have to go to one of the other camps.

Once he realized what was really going on, his story was that he found a way to be captured by the British and spent the duration in a POW camp. Somehow, he came to be teaching history in a State college in Baltimore.

Yeah, that's where I am on it. As I said, I will probably see it on video at some point when I can turn it off or take a break, but I've seen plenty of that stuff in my life. I admit to having an interest in discussing it with someone who was born way after those days, to see how much of an impact it might have on their mindset.

On the one hand, I've sat in the room with people that were really there, and on the other, younger people who were not outright ideological deniers, but who did not appreciate the enormity of it all.

I can see it being somewhat parallel to people who came aboard way after the American Civil War and who think that conflict was about parades and re-enactors.

I guess, at some point, every conflict gets trivialized, otherwise it would be hard to go on, being part of this warped species that we are.
All younger people on the left seem to know about Nazis is to use the word as a slur for anyone who has a different viewpoint. It's just become a word to quiet the opposition and stop thought.

My nephew, is a member of the new left. He has lots of opinions but no thinking to back it up. I'm sure we all know people like that on both sides of the aisle, but my nephew literally thinks anyone with a difference of opinion is a Nazi.

We ate in a local cafe and he wouldn't go back there because some cops were eating lunch there because ACAB. I'm like,"dude, even cops are allowed to eat." He is quite intelligent, but c'mon man.

All younger people on the left seem to know about Nazis is to use the word as a slur for anyone who has a different viewpoint. It's just become a word to quiet the opposition and stop thought.

My nephew, is a member of the new left. He has lots of opinions but no thinking to back it up. I'm sure we all know people like that on both sides of the aisle, but my nephew literally thinks anyone with a difference of opinion is a Nazi.

We ate in a local cafe and he wouldn't go back there because some cops were eating lunch there because ACAB. I'm like,"dude, even cops are allowed to eat." He is quite intelligent, but c'mon man.
Yeah, seen that. The cynical part of me recalls people like that when I was younger. Cops were evil until they got robbed or mugged and needed one. Unfortunately, also, nazi has become a euphemism for someone in authority that people don't like, which is an awful long way from the gestapo. Hopefully, most of us eventually realize that life in our world, at its worst, beats the heck out of Berlin in 1938.

Yeah, seen that. The cynical part of me recalls people like that when I was younger. Cops were evil until they got robbed or mugged and needed one. Unfortunately, also, nazi has become a euphemism for someone in authority that people don't like, which is an awful long way from the gestapo. Hopefully, most of us eventually realize that life in our world, at its worst, beats the heck out of Berlin in 1938.
Yeah, I was telling some kids on Facebook that culturally we had been here before to some extent. The sixties are the last time, I remember there being a huge gap in thinking between older people and younger people. They just laughed at me. "OK, Boomer," was the inference.
I am just shocked at the hatred between different factions nowadays. It is wild.
I remember when Trump ran the first time. I was the only Democrat people at work would talk to because I didn't feel it necessary to shame people for their thoughts. I would use facts in my arguments. I know, what was I thinking?

I wonder if this what was going on in Europe in the late thirties?

Yeah, I was telling some kids on Facebook that culturally we had been here before to some extent. The sixties are the last time, I remember there being a huge gap in thinking between older people and younger people. They just laughed at me. "OK, Boomer," was the inference.
I am just shocked at the hatred between different factions nowadays. It is wild.
I remember when Trump ran the first time. I was the only Democrat people at work would talk to because I didn't feel it necessary to shame people for their thoughts. I would use facts in my arguments. I know, what was I thinking?

I wonder if this what was going on in Europe in the late thirties?
Not in any public forum. Don't underestimate just how much worse and pathological things were there. We're lucky enough, so far, to have plenty of opposition and public discord, even when it's aggravating and messy. Lots of books have been written on this.

I have questions.

My nephew, is a member of the new left.
What is the New Left? How does one become a member?

What does ACAB stand for?

As I said, I will probably see it on video at some point when I can turn it off or take a break, but I've seen plenty of that stuff in my life. .
Which films similar to the zone of interest have you seen?

I have questions.

What is the New Left? How does one become a member?

That would be telling.

What does ACAB stand for?

All cops are bastards.

https://hmh.org/about/25-films-about-holocaust/

To show you were I am with this kind of subject matter, I was re-watching The Piano when the video came to the part where the gestapo dumped the old man in the wheelchair out the window, I said, "enough." I turned it off and that was the last film on the Holocaust I watched. It is just enough for me.

By the trailer, doesn't seem to be an Oscar winning movie.

It's going to win best international film for sure and could possibly win best sound.

Which films similar to the zone of interest have you seen?
Not referring to commercial films but actual footage from the time and place. Those sick f**ks thought that the world would thank them so they documented it, like Hieronymus Bosch's visions of hell. Those images have never left my mind. When I was a kid, I also met several people who were there and survived.

I have not seen the movie, but some of the real footage I saw looked like some still images I have seen promoting the movie, nazis in the camps trying to look like normal people. It's obvious from what little I've seen that the film makers wanted to look real in the color scenes of the family.

Not referring to commercial films but actual footage from the time and place. Those sick f**ks thought that the world would thank them so they documented it, like Hieronymus Bosch's visions of hell. Those images have never left my mind. When I was a kid, I also met several people who were there and survived.

I have not seen the movie, but some of the real footage I saw looked like some still images I have seen promoting the movie, nazis in the camps trying to look like normal people. It's obvious from what little I've seen that the film makers wanted to look real in the color scenes of the family.
I don't know which images you refer to, but I can't recall any from the film looking like those to which you state. The fact yoiu say "Nazi's in the camps" leads me to believe you haven't got a grasp on what The Zone of Interest' is trying to portray at all.

https://hmh.org/about/25-films-about-holocaust/

To show you were I am with this kind of subject matter, I was re-watching The Piano when the video came to the part where the gestapo dumped the old man in the wheelchair out the window, I said, "enough." I turned it off and that was the last film on the Holocaust I watched. It is just enough for me.
I've never seen The Piano. It looks like Grade A Hollywood attention seeking claptrap.

Personally I don't care if it wins any oscars. They mean nothing at all in terms of a film's quality (you only have to look at Don Cheadle and Johnny Depp being nominated for best actor awards in 2005 instead of Bruno Ganz' performance in 'Downfall' to see this) . It's a great film now and it will be spoken about as a great film for a very long time, inspite of how many awards it does or doesn't win.

I've never seen The Piano. It looks like Grade A Hollywood attention seeking claptrap.
That scene is actually from Polanski’s The Pianist, The Piano has got nothing to do with the Holocaust.

That scene is actually from Polanski’s The Pianist, The Piano has got nothing to do with the Holocaust.
Yeah wait - is The Piano the Jane Campion film? I've seen that - it's excellent (apart from Harvey Keitel's accent and his little sausage appearance)

The one with Adrien Brody is the one which I haven't seen. Similar titles.

Yeah wait - is The Piano the Jane Campion film? I've seen that - it's excellent (apart from Harvey Keitel's accent and his little sausage appearance)

The one with Adrien Brody is the one which I haven't seen. Similar titles.
Yes, sorry, I feel like I’ve added to the confusion rather than clarifying. The Piano is indeed the Jane Campion film. The Pianist is the Polanski film with Brody that you haven’t seen, and this one has the wheelchair scene. I mainly posted this because I spent a few seconds trying to remember a wheelchair scene in The Piano, and there isn’t one.

For what it’s worth, I didn’t like The Pianist much beyond the music.

Thanks, I may give it a go in that case. I'm not a huge fan of Adrien Brody, so I've put it off.

It's not a favourite by any means, but it's definitely not a Hollywood type excursion into historical pathos. It's very much a Polanski movie. And Brodie is good in it.