Television Tab

Tools    

And 16 months later I finally watched episode 9 of Stranger Things (S4). They're right to be wrapping this thing up with S5 being the series finale. The same things that bothered me after watching episode 8 bothered me this time. Too many characters and way too many plot lines to follow. A lot of padding too with each relationship having to be given it's share of screen time. They ultimately made it work, but now it's time to wrap the whole thing up.

I am bound and determined to finish up Doom Patrol. Four episodes down and two to go till the series finale. But man are they making it difficult. Episode 3 was a musical. If you need official confirmation that a series has jumped the shark that's all the proof you need.

I would love to know what happened with this show. This first season, in light of any horrible characters, was great. Alan Tudyk as Mr. Nobody, yes please. The weirdness, the maybe going too far but reeling it back in...

Season 2 if I remember was hampered by pandemic issues, but it was just such a mess afterwards. They made a show with characters that I actually cared about and just flushed it down the toilet.

I would love to know what happened with this show. This first season, in light of any horrible characters, was great. Alan Tudyk as Mr. Nobody, yes please. The weirdness, the maybe going too far but reeling it back in...
It was weirdly charming. So many gonzo plot developments and the characters were fresh and interesting. Great villains like Tudyk. Doom Patrol was all about existential dread but once they moved the focus away from carnivorous butts and sentient streets all that was left was the never ending angst. And that's just death on two legs.

Season 2 if I remember was hampered by pandemic issues, but it was just such a mess afterwards. They made a show with characters that I actually cared about and just flushed it down the toilet.
I don't know if the writing ever recovered post Covid. But the characters outside of Fraser's Cliff Steele/Robotman didn't really spark additional interest. And even he became sort of a foul mouthed, one trick pony. I always felt Cyborg was such a bland entity and Rita was annoyingly one note. They gave Larry/Negative Man a backstory but once past that he didn't have much to offer either. They did the same with Laura De Mille/Madame Rouge. Wrote her in then didn't know what to do with her. Jane (Crazy Jane in the comics) had potential but they milked her big reveal for way, way too long and people just lost interest. So yeah, I blame the writing and wrongheaded decisions on the part of the showrunners.

Needing something to look at while sipping a cup of coffee, I watched the beginning of Lawmen: Bass Reeves. Just here to announce a Shea Whigham sighting.

Welcome to Wrexham season 2 is an excellent addition to sports documentaries that follow a club for a season, & I found it even better than the first, despite knowing well in advance what was going to happen.

I also watched the first season of Reacher .
Felt like watching a fun nineties action movie with an invincible hero.

Disappointed that they missed out the tug of war game and replaced it with a very boring battleship game... Apparently the makers wanted to surprise viewers with some new games... sigh.

Disappointed that they missed out the tug of war game and replaced it with a very boring battleship game... Apparently the makers wanted to surprise viewers with some new games... sigh.

Hated the original Korean show. Thought I might like this British version though I wouldn’t know that if I hadn’t read up on the show.

Sooooooo boring. Watched two episodes & fell asleep.

Binging the Santa Clauses and just started season 2, while im sad we're probably not getting another movie, this is just as good. Really enjoyed the first season.

Hated the original Korean show. Thought I might like this British version though I wouldn’t know that if I hadn’t read up on the show.

Sooooooo boring. Watched two episodes & fell asleep.
I can understand that. I've only seen a couple of clips on Gogglebox and I've been annoyed. bored and confused as to why anyone would enjoy it.

Does anyone still watch Archer? The final season is very strong. I especially like Archer dealing with old age and potentially becoming useless, what they did with Krieger and Lana realizing she has to take the left-hand path to keep the agency afloat. It isn’t without its flaws: most of the episodes take place in Latin America and the Caribbean - no issues with those places, but a bit more variety would have been nice - and the new addition to the team, Zara, is not a favorite. While I understand and appreciate her purpose as a straight person/audience surrogate, she’s a bit too annoying on the whole. The series is still ending on a high note. The standout episodes for me are Chill Barry, Mission out of Control Room and Breaking Fabian (so glad they found a way to bring back Kayvan Novak one more time). In case you didn't know, the three-part finale starts airing on Tuesday.

Man, since getting rid of cable I've completely dropped the ball on keeping up with my favorite shows. Bob's Burgers, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and now Archer to name a few. I have to figure out how to stream these without paying for them. Couchtuner used to be my go to but it's so hit and miss these days.

I did finish the six episode run of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. So I got that going for me.

I did finish the six episode run of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. So I got that going for me.
It always warms my heart to see someone else appreciating this gem. Was it a first watch or repeat viewing?

It always warms my heart to see someone else appreciating this gem. Was it a first watch or repeat viewing?
First time watching. I had recently seen Possum and after reading an interview with Matthew Holness I had to check it out. It reminded me of something like Police Squad! which unfortunately also had a short six episode run.

Just finished watching the British mini-series The Walk-In, based on a true story. Pretty damn good.

Anybody knows why the actual name for this TV show? Can't get my head around it.

Just finished watching the British mini-series The Walk-In, based on a true story. Pretty damn good.

Anybody knows why the actual name for this TV show? Can't get my head around it.
Walk-ins are defectors who turn informant.

This series looks excellent & I never heard of it. Will see if it can be streamed here in America.

Turns out I can sign up for a free trial of BritBox & stream it there.

Walk-ins are defectors who turn informant.

This series looks excellent & I never heard of it. Will see if it can be streamed here in America.

Thanks, Is it a phrase common in British slang?

Yes, the series is worth watching; the main actor, who I had already seen on Line of Duty, is solid.

Is there any tv section on forum? Would be cool to have a search engine for tv movie titles while they are broadcasting.

I don't know, as I've not seen the prorgramme, but it's ususally used over here to mean someone who 'walks in' for an appointment rather than attending a pre-organised meeting. I'd guess, considering the plot for this series, that 'the walk in' would be the person who was going in to meet the MP at their surgery. All MP's (are supposed to) have a weekly surgery where constituants can talk to them about whatever they wish. You can either make an appointment to see them (so you definitely do) or can just 'walk in' and if they're available chat to them then.