Can you identify this detective movie?

Tools    

My Dad told me about this movie but I can’t find it. I’ll give you what information I have.

I suspect this is a film noir genre (maybe 40s or 50s vintage). It’s a detective movie with a murder plot. The significant element of the plot is that the murder weapon (a gun) was buried in a flower planter box. The gun was recovered only because the flowers in the planter normally had white blossoms, but one of them developed blue blossoms.

The flower had turned blue because of the metal of the gun buried underneath it. This was based on an idea that the presence of metal in the soil will induce a blue color in plants.

My Dad thought the movie was The Blue Dahlia (1946, starring Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, and William Bendix). But I watched this movie and there is nothing in the plot about a gun buried under flowers. So, my Dad must have conflated this movie title with another movie.

At any rate, if you can identify the correct movie, I would appreciate it. Thanks for any help.

Is it possible your father had his flowers confused? Maybe it is "The Blue Gardenia", 1953, directed by Fritz Lang?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045564/

The Blue Dahlia 1946 ??

Thanks for the responses. "The Blue Gardenia" doesn't quite sound right either. Maybe I'll watch it just to be sure. The central plot element I'm looking for is the murder weapon buried in a flower bed or flower box that turns a flower's color from white to blue.