The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I don't necessarily agree but you're making me wonder if it's actually Hardy's fault. To me, in Road Warrior and Thunderdome, Max has charisma and conveys feeling, savvy, even a bit of charm and seems to always be scheming and planning... I don't know I just didn't get any of that from this Max. And that may have been intentional by Miller so as not to overshadow or take too much attention away from Furiosa but, man, it really took the air out of the movie for me.
Additionally, while I liked the look of Immortan Joe and really appreciated that they got my favorite Max villain, Toecutter, to come back and be Immortan Joe, I just really didn't feel like there was enough of Immortan Joe for me to care much.
I do agree that, as opposed to the previous films, the focus on Fury Road moves around a couple of characters, most notably Furiosa and Nux. Maybe you're right and that hindered a bit the way some people perceived the character and his arc.

A lot of people mentioning One Cut of the Dead, so I apologize. I loved that little film, and I held on to it for a while, but ended up cutting it.

My list. Comments?
1. Meek's Cutoff (2010)
2. Passengers (2016)
3. Never Let Me Go (2010)
4. The Dressmaker (2015)
5. The Flowers of War (2011)
6. Predestination (2014)
7. Stan & Ollie (2018)
8. Ruby Sparks (2012)
9. Molly's Game (2017)
10. Another Earth (2011)
11. Brooklyn (2015)
12. Spotlight (2015).................................#63
13. Bridge of Spies (2015)
14. Manchester by the Sea (2016).....................#64
15. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)
16. The Founder (2016)
17. The Artist (2011)................................#83
18. Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)
19. The King's Speech (2010).........................#78
20. Fences (2016)
21. Philomena (2013)
22. The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014)
23. Captain Phillips (2013)
24. Parkland (2013)
25. Cake (2014)

and my list with overall rankings:

I guess my movie taste is not inline with most MoFos.

A lot of people mentioning One Cut of the Dead, so I apologize. I loved that little film, and I held on to it for a while, but ended up cutting it.
But was it...the final cut?

(Final Cut is the English title for Coupez! - the French remake of One Cut of the Dead, for those who don't know haha. Jokes are much funnier when you have to explain them..right?)

Hardy was very good as Max. Firstly, he's supposed to be second fiddle to Theron, so let's not worry if she steals the show from him. Secondly, not anyone could pull off a performance of such wounded physicality without either over or under acting it. It's all about his great command of using his sheer presence and body language to create character. There is a complex performance in there.

And while I'm always going to think of it as Gibson's role, as he was fantastic in those movies, Hardy's is a deliberately different Max. And more power to him for that.

Films from my ballot that didn't make it into the top 100:

10. Hard to Be a God (2013)

11. Coherence (2013)

12. Good Time (2017)

13. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010)

16. Enemy (2013)

17. Embrace of the Serpent (2015)

18. Cemetery of Splendour (2015)

19. Leviathan (2014)

21. Meek's Cutoff (2010)

This countdown thread has been fun!
Well done, @SpelingError !

I really like Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, very underrated. Like another Steve Carell movie from the previous decade, namely Dan in Real Life, I think a terrible advertising campaign sunk its chances. They are two very funny movies with ultimately sweet messages that were difficult to market, apparently. Though if forced to choose there is a small Canadian flick from 1998 that is also a pre-Apocalyptic tale that is weirder are darker and still funny while covering some of the same ground called Last Night that I like even more, but Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is quite well made and should have reached a wider audience.

Ruby Sparks is another very clever and ultimately touching movie that was mis-marketed and unfairly ignored (see also the similar Stranger Than Fiction).

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I really like Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, very underrated. Like another Steve Carell movie from the previous decade, namely Dan in Real Life, I think a terrible advertising campaign sunk its chances.
I tend to like end-of-the-world type movies, I don't know why? But they just seem intriguing, which is odd I know. The scene where a woman wears all of her jewelry to a last dinner party before the end of the world, really has stuck with me, it just seemed to say so much without even trying. One of my favorite scenes.

They are two very funny movies with ultimately sweet messages that were difficult to market, apparently. Ruby Sparks is another very clever and ultimately touching movie that was mis-marketed and unfairly ignored
I liked the combination of Paul Dano and his partner Zoe Kazan who's really cute (Zoe that is). I'm a sucker for this kind of movie.

(see also the similar Stranger Than Fiction).
Ohh, that sounds real good to me and I actually like Will Ferrill, thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to check it out.

I really like Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, very underrated. Like another Steve Carell movie from the previous decade, namely Dan in Real Life, I think a terrible advertising campaign sunk its chances. They are two very funny movies with ultimately sweet messages that were difficult to market, apparently. Though if forced to choose there is a small Canadian flick from 1998 that is also a pre-Armageddon tale that is weirder are darker and still funny while covering some of the same ground called Last Night that I like even more, but Seeking a Friend for the End of the World is quite well made and should have reached a wider audience.

Ruby Sparks is another very clever and ultimately touching movie that was mis-marketed and unfairly ignored (see also the similar Stranger Than Fiction).

Always loved Dan In Real Life, although it has been a while. Seeking A Friend is pretty good.

My list. Comments?
1. Meek's Cutoff (2010)
2. Passengers (2016)
3. Never Let Me Go (2010)
4. The Dressmaker (2015)
5. The Flowers of War (2011)
6. Predestination (2014)
7. Stan & Ollie (2018)
8. Ruby Sparks (2012)
9. Molly's Game (2017)
10. Another Earth (2011)
11. Brooklyn (2015)
12. Spotlight (2015).................................#63
13. Bridge of Spies (2015)
14. Manchester by the Sea (2016).....................#64
15. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)
16. The Founder (2016)
17. The Artist (2011)................................#83
18. Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)
19. The King's Speech (2010).........................#78
20. Fences (2016)
21. Philomena (2013)
22. The Hundred-Foot Journey (2014)
23. Captain Phillips (2013)
24. Parkland (2013)
25. Cake (2014)

and my list with overall rankings:

I guess my movie taste is not inline with most MoFos.
How do post the rankings on here? I tried doing it with the link it gives you when you view the results but it only gives me a list of the names on my ballot

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Thank you @SpelingError for hosting!

My personal top 25 looked like this btw:

1. It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012)
2. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
3. The Red Turtle (2016)
4. The Wind Rises (2013)
5. The Wolf House (2018)
6. Kill List (2011)
7. Boro in the Box (2011)
8. The Nice Guys (2016)
9. Holy Motors (2012)
10. The Lobster (2015)
11. Transit (2018)
12. 20th Century Women (2016)
13. Shoplifters (2018)
14. Under the Skin (2014)
15. Manchester by the Sea (2016)
16. Phantom Thread (2017)
17. Rabot (2017)
18. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
19. Borgman (2013)
20. High Life (2018)
21. The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)
22. House of Tolerance (2011)
23. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
24. Foxtrot (2017)
25. Tower (2016)

How do post the rankings on here? I tried doing it with the link it gives you when you view the results but it only gives me a list of the names on my ballot
I did a screenshot of my list using Yoda's Ballot Tool.

Still going through back pages but just wanted to say a big thanks to Speling for doing a stand up job as host. Well done!

And of course and thank you to our fearless leader, Yoda.

I appreciate the stats a few of you included and updated as went along. Thanks for that.

And thank you to everyone for participating. You're all winners even if your favourite 2010s movie didn't make the top 100.

Harry Lime's Ballot

1. Good Time (2017) Rank: 135th
Now when the heck do we start the War Countdown!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

This list should of been 200 instead of 100 so Wonder Woman and Scream 4 made it , ehh what good would that be right it would take ages to finish I bet. Anyways this list was fun and I want to thank, @SpelingError for hosting, you been a good one and very on point with this list.

Films from my ballot that didn't make it into the top 100:

11. Coherence (2013)

16. Enemy (2013)

Love to see Coherence get some love. Enemy was another one that almost made my list. It is almost tied with Prisoners as my favorite Villeneuve.

Was gonna catch my breath this weekend and then post a thread to discuss what we do next on Monday.
No way. Not allowed.

Still going through back pages but just wanted to say a big thanks to Speling for doing a stand up job as host. Well done!

And of course and thank you to our fearless leader, Yoda.

I appreciate the stats a few of you included and updated as went along. Thanks for that.

And thank you to everyone for participating. You're all winners even if your favourite 2010s movie didn't make the top 100.

Now when the heck do we start the War Countdown!
Dr. Strangelove would be #1 or 2 by default on the war countdown since Kubrick is the poster boy for these lists