Spam my Comedy Countdown ballot!

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

Galaxy Quest (1999)

This was loads of fun to watch, very enjoyable. It did remind me of Star Trek during the convention with the cast of Galaxy Quest the tv show and all the fans dressed in alien attire. But for most of the movie what I was reminded of was The Orville. I gotta think that Seth MacFarlane was a fan of Galaxy Quest and that's where he got his idea for The Orville at. Really liked the aliens! And some funny stuff too.

Captain Steel and Gbgoodies, thanks for recommending it

Now you MUST watch Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
For a good Chevy Chase film, check out Fletch (1985).
I think its sequels flopped, but I remember the original being very funny and very entertaining!

I haven't seen Fletch, but my favorite Chevy Chase movies are Seems Like Old Times and Foul Play. (Seems Like Old Times is probably a lock for my comedy list.)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Coincidentally, Come Fly with Me was on TCM this morning, so I DVRed it. I'll probably watch it this weekend.
Oh cool, after you watch it maybe you can post your thoughts here? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I watched Come Fly with Me and I liked it. I thought the Baron was kind of annoying, and I couldn't really figure out why Donna liked him, but I liked Hugh O'Brian as the first officer Ray Winsley, and Karl Malden as Mr. Lucas, and I was hoping that those relationships would work out.

I loved the scene when the little boy showed Lucas and Bergie around town, but I could feel the sudden shift of his personality changing when he started to talk about his wife, and it made me rethink whether or not I wanted them to end up together.

I don't think the movie has much of a chance to make my comedy list, but I enjoyed watching it. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm glad that you finally watched Galaxy Quest, and that you liked it. It's such a fun movie. The DVD even has an audio track in the aliens' language.

There was some talk about a Galaxy Quest TV series a few years ago, but I don't know if it's still in the works or if it was cancelled.
They could make a sequel about how the fans of the original series hate the latest series (and think shows not even related to the series are a better homage to the series than the latest show that bears series' name)!

Orville vs ST Discovery

I haven't seen Fletch, but my favorite Chevy Chase movies are Seems Like Old Times and Foul Play. (Seems Like Old Times is probably a lock for my comedy list.)
Outside of the Vacation films and "Caddyshack", I find Chevy pretty "meh".

Now, "Galaxy Quest" is one of the funniest parodies ever!

I barely remember these movies, but I think I saw them both when they came out - and yes, I do remember liking them both.
One of them had Goldie Hawn & Charles Grodin. I was a big Charles Grodin fan!

How about some '70s fair...

Mother, Jugs & Speed
The Gumball Rally
Car Wash
The Hospital
The Jerk
Kentucky Fried Movie
Slap Shot
Up in Smoke
Silver Streak
The Brinks Job
The In-Laws
Kelly's Heroes
Thanks Dumbear! i'm a big fan of The Jerk and The Gumball Rally. I've been meaning to see Silver Streak, I'll try to catch that before the Comedy Countdown deadline is up.

I would suggest Broadcast News, the Fabulous Baker Boys and Bull Durham. All set in the eighties.
Thanks! I seen Broadcast News awhile back. I'm not sure if I've seen The Fabulous Baker Boys, I kinda think I did but if I can't remember then I should watch it again

I watched Come Fly with Me and I liked it. I thought the Baron was kind of annoying, and I couldn't really figure out why Donna liked him, but I liked Hugh O'Brian as the first officer Ray Winsley, and Karl Malden as Mr. Lucas, and I was hoping that those relationships would work out.

I loved the scene when the little boy showed Lucas and Bergie around town, but I could feel the sudden shift of his personality changing when he started to talk about his wife, and it made me rethink whether or not I wanted them to end up together.

I don't think the movie has much of a chance to make my comedy list, but I enjoyed watching it. Thanks for the recommendation.
I'm glad you watched it, thanks It won't be making my ballot either, though I did like it...I just have way too many other comedies in contention for my ballot spots.

My Cousin Vinny (1992)

My Cousin Vinny, I would say it is one of the most universally loved comedies of all times...I've never heard anyone say it wasn't for them or they didn't like it. Captain Steel

Until now that is! OK, I didn't actually hate it...and yes I did root for Vinny during the trial when he started using his smarts and winning the case, which was my favorite part...But mostly the comedy aspects weren't to my liking. The film seems way more serious than a comedy to me. I consider this more of a crime drama with some funny bits thrown in. I just can't relax and laugh at someone when the tone of the film is so serious and they face being imprisoned or executed for a murder they didn't do. I guess I don't find that story set up funny, it found that aspect of the movie uncomfortable to watch.

As cute as Marisa Tomei was in this, her character with all the F bombs was off putting to me. Though I have to say she has the world's cutest nose.

So now I seen it and I'm glad I watched it, I did like it, just didn't love it.
Thanks to everyone who recommended it to me
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-04-11 18-15-07.png
Views:	310
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	86637  

WHAT???
Okay, after your not liking 12 Angry Men, nothing surprises me!

Seriously, I thought you were going to Poo-Poo Boeing Boeing (simply for having Jerry Lewis in it) and love Cousin Vinny, not the other way around.

P.S. I like the fact you found a shot of Marissa Tomei reflecting the same feeling of disdain you felt for the movie!

WHAT???
Okay, after your not liking 12 Angry Men, nothing surprises me!

Seriously, I thought you were going to Poo-Poo Boeing Boeing (simply for having Jerry Lewis in it) and love Cousin Vinny, not the other way around.

P.S. I like the fact you found a shot of Marissa Tomei reflecting the same feeling of disdain you felt for the movie!
Actually, thanks to Boeing, Boeing...I'm now starting to like Jerry Lewis films. I even watched another of his movies tonight, Rock-a-Bye Baby (1958) I thought it was pretty funny and unique, he even sings in it and it has a really young Connie Stevens.

You know I had a feeling I would love Boeing, Boeing...and inversely I had a gut feeling that I wouldn't really like My Cousin Vinny all that much. Self fulfilling prophesies?

Actually, thanks to Boeing, Boeing...I'm now starting to like Jerry Lewis films. I even watched another of his movies tonight, Rock-a-Bye Baby (1958) I thought it was pretty funny and unique, he even sings in it and it has a really young Connie Stevens.

You know I had a feeling I would love Boeing, Boeing...and inversely I had a gut feeling that I wouldn't really like My Cousin Vinny all that much. Self fulfilling prophesies?
Ironically, Rock-a-Bye-Baby may be the one Jerry Lewis film I've never seen (or don't remember). It looks familiar.

Speaking of Connie Stevens - she co-stars again with Jerry Lewis in Way Way Out (1966) - a comedy sci-fi where two couples (one American and one Russian) are sent to the moon together. The Russian couple are played by Dick Shawn & Anita Eckberg!

And speaking of sci-fi... one of Jerry Lewis' early solo films was Visit to a Small Planet (1960). It seems this film was the direct inspiration for Mork and Mindy as it followed the same plot (albeit in a different era).

Rock a Bye Baby is one of Lewis’s best comedies, in my opinion. I’ve seen 18 of his films. Other Lewis films I would recommend:

Sailor Beware
Hollywood or Bust
The Nutty Professor
The Ladies Man
The Stooge

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I might as well give Tin Cup a rewatch. I think I'm due as it's been a couple of years. I always enjoy returning to this movie. Definitely top-50 stuff for me. This trailer really waters this one down though.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I think laugh-per-laugh Ron Shelton's Bull Durham and White Men Can't Jump are both funnier sports comedies than Tin Cup, but all three are excellent.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think laugh-per-laugh Ron Shelton's Bull Durham and White Men Can't Jump are both funnier sports comedies than Tin Cup, but all three are excellent.

So, funniest sports movie, "Slap Shot", "Bull Durham", "Major League" or "The Longest Yard" (not that shitty Sandler garbage)?

Ready, GO!

So, funniest sports movie, "Slap Shot", "Bull Durham", "Major League" or "The Longest Yard" (not that shitty Sandler garbage)?

Ready, GO!

Slapshot. Easily.

Probably Bad News Bears, if we are including that in the mix though.