What was that mental hospital movie...

Tools    

I'm trying to remember the name of this movie I once saw as I'd really love to watch it again. It may possibly have been a true story. All I remember is it was about a guy in a mental hospital who was totally non-responsive, didn't talk, didn't move, nothing.

The one day he suddenly started to walk for no reason, but he would only walk to a certain point in the room. They realised that he only walked up to where the black and white chequered floor finished, so they made the rest of the floor chequered and he walked all the way to the window.

Then one day he stopped walking and was totally unresponsive again, and the doctors never figured out why he was non-responsive or why he started walking for those few days.

I may have some of the details wrong, it was a long time ago that I saw it. I was hoping someone might remember the movie, if you have any clues I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Edit: Sorry I'm new here and I just realised I posted this in the wrong section!

It sounds vaguely like Awakenings.

It sounds vaguely like Awakenings.

Yeah that's always the movie that comes up when I try searching, but it wasn't that one. I think it was quite a bit older and I don't recall any modern-day actors of note in it. Thanks anyway.