Why is text in movies so badly written?

Tools    

As a confirmed pedant - sorry - I've long noticed the dismal standard of text displayed in movies, such as
- obvious spelling errors
- headlines in newspapers that are nothing like real headlines in style
- computer screens with absurdly error-strewn text

I was watching David Fincher's The Game (1997) in which Michael Douglas's character returns home to find a "Notice of Forclosure" [sic] attached to the gates. Didn't anyone notice the notice? In another successful film whose name I forget (possibly The Reader), a shop's name, prominently shown, has an obvious mis-spelling. How can that happen, when someone has to paint the name, someone else has to mount it, and lots of people see it on the set?

Can anyone enlighten me as to why this is the case? Who in a movie has the role of creating written documents? Why do they fail so often? We've had home video, with the ability to pause the motion, since the late 1970s. Don't the filmmakers care, when such mistakes take us out of their story?

Probably because most people don't notice or care. If I'm busy doing a spell check on a newspaper in a movie, that doesn't speak very well for my interest level in the movie. Of course, given the digital assistance needed to produce that text, you would think that they'd leave spell check on so they don't end up with "The Wholy Bobble" or "World War Too".

Now and again, I look on movie blooper sites and find lots of mentions of the visual equivalent of mis-spelled words, like cars in the distance in a Western, so it's not just text. Most details flash by fairly quickly and audiences are not watching those details, so they get missed by the background production person that's supposed to notice the 1955 kitchen appliances in a movie set in 1945.

Yeah, same reason half the characters in movies just hang up phones without saying "bye" or establishing where or when they'll meet, specifically. Movies like to glide past the details you can fill in for yourself.

I was watching David Fincher's The Game (1997) in which Michael Douglas's character returns home to find a "Notice of Forclosure" [sic] attached to the gates. Didn't anyone notice the notice?
Guessing it was intentional.

Yeah, same reason half the characters in movies just hang up phones without saying "bye" or establishing where or when ...
Always drives me nuts. What time should we meet!?

Didn't Every Frame A Painting do a video on this?