Great films & remakes

Tools    

Great films should, of course, never be remade. There are plenty of poor to average films which could be improved upon. The large number of those films should prohibit film makers from needlessly attempting to remake magnificent films like 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and "Midnight Cowboy" and others in there class from being remade. Amazingly neither of those two masterworks have yet to be remade and I for one can only hope they never are subjected to that.

The issue really is recently Hollywood using remakes as an excuse to piggyback on the credibility of the original film rather than atemptt something of the same quality. There have been quite a few remakes of classic films down the years that were themselves viewed highly as well or at least films that focus on the same source material.

The Thing
Invasion of the Bodysnatchers
Sorcerer
The Fly

I'm not opposed to remakes if they bring something new to the concept. Some make an interesting premise more accessible to modern audiences, who may be turned off by black and white films or have difficulty relating to the dialogue or mannerisms of their periods. I think Heaven Can Wait, A Miracle on 34th Street and even the new Overboard are pretty good remakes and I enjoy the originals, too.

But I agree studios and filmmakers should try developing new concepts and premises, too.

A sequel to the original Ghostbusters is being planned for 2020.

As for me, the best remake is IT. The film was done according to all the new tendencies saving the spirit of original.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
They should remake Invasion of the Bee Girls, as it has an entertaining premise, but could use a better execution. Perhaps a director like Jordan Peele would be good for that.

I'm harming nobody, just robbing a few graves.
I'm a big fan of Peeping Tom (1960), and I really wouldn't mind a remake of that movie with modern technology, there's a lot of social commentary about voyeurism and morbid curiosity in that movie that still holds up today.

Ringu and Ring are the ones I'm thinking of. I didn't like the original as much as the American remake.

What about remaking The Battle of Algiers (1966)? I know it's a classic but hardly anyone has even heard of that movie it seems, so maybe a remake is in order as long as it does justice of the original?

What about remaking The Battle of Algiers (1966)? I know it's a classic but hardly anyone has even heard of that movie it seems, so maybe a remake is in order as long as it does justice of the original?
I'm guessing politically too sensitive these days? especially in terms of it taking a negative view of both sides of the conflict.

But the conflict happened a much longer time ago now, compared to when the original movie came out so I thought it would actually be safer nowadays to remake it compared to back when the original came out, so close to it.

I have mixed feelings on the issue of remakes but feel that they can be really good if, as average joe stated, "...they bring something new to the concept." I would also state that there should be a significant time lapse between the original and the remake. For example, and I know that many disagree with me but, I feel the 2010 remake of "A Nightmare on Elm Street" was better than the 1984 original. Jackie Earle Haley was a great choice to bring out a more serious tone to Freddy than Robert Englund ever could. Englund's portrayal of Freddy was always so comical and over-the-top that, even as a child, I never found him scary. We could also consider Rob Zombie's "Halloween" in 2007. Although I would not consider it better than the 1978 original, I would consider it as good. The primary difference being the focus on Michael's growth and development in the first half of the movie. This brought a new understanding to the character and made the brutality of the second half all the more stark than it seemed in the original.

Modern technology makes it possible for filmmakers to do things they never could before and visions that fell flat 20-30 years ago can now be fully realized. Would the film industry leaders not be remiss if they never tried to better their body of work?. The problem comes when this is done not because there is a need or because the film can be elevated to new heights but because someone wants to make money. Money is the life's blood of the industry, yes, but when it is not your primary but your only motivation, the films themselves suffer.