Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Only God Forgives (2013)

This film spooked me out a fair bit. The performances are good and the direction is too. Suppose, like a good storyteller Refn wants to dig into the "why is this happening" part of your appreciation of the film. The ending was fitting as it was baffling. I think NWR is a great magpie of other directors. As he should be. 9/10

Watched some Jackie Chan flicks this week:

The Fearless Hyena (1979)
The first half is mostly comedic but then it suddenly takes a turn for the dramatic. As always, brilliant kung fu choreography, great training scenes, hilariously inventive ending fight scene.

The Young Master (1980)
Worth it if only for the long final fight scene - it's insane, one of the best I've ever seen.

The Legend of the Drunken Master (1994)
Again, the final fight scene is incredible and worth the price of admission alone.

Rumble in the Bronx (1995)
Great action and stunts, inventive prop-heavy fight choreography but also not a very satisfying plot, as well as some bad acting and corny dialogue.

“I was cured, all right!”
Watched some Jackie Chan flicks this week:

The Fearless Hyena (1979)
The first half is mostly comedic but then it suddenly takes a turn for the dramatic. As always, brilliant kung fu choreography, great training scenes, hilariously inventive ending fight scene.

The Young Master (1980)
Worth it if only for the long final fight scene - it's insane, one of the best I've ever seen.

The Legend of the Drunken Master (1994)
Again, the final fight scene is incredible and worth the price of admission alone.

Rumble in the Bronx (1995)
Great action and stunts, inventive prop-heavy fight choreography but also not a very satisfying plot, as well as some bad acting and corny dialogue.
Oh, then this was a great week!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Mandy (2018) -

You ripped my favourite shirt!

Whiners complained Panos Cosmatos had been prematurely hailed the Kubrick of the 21st century. The guy proved he's not a one-hit wonder and did not lose his chops! He delivered exactly the same orgone-oozing, neon-lit feverish dream. This time served in grindhouse sauce! During the last 15 minutes I had been praying for this not to end. 120 minutes felt like 20 minutes, and I just can't get enough of this, and now I have to wait another eight (?) years for his third film! I feel like rewatching both Mandy (that I just literally saw an hour ago) and Beyond the Black Rainbow!

Welcome back, Panos. Welcome back, Nic.

Sion Sono, Terrence Malick, Eugene Green, Eric Pauwels... and Panos Cosmatos.

What's the point in watching anything now, really?

@cat_sidhe THE HYPE IS REAL! If you didn't understand my talk back in the day, the one about oozing orgone, Andromeda galaxy, positive vibrations and fourth dimension, just watch this film and you will get it!

PS: Cage is hilarious and crazy (although not as much as in, say, Bad Lieutenant), but he still manages to deliver a great performance, and he even made me sympathetic for his character at times, like that absurdist bathroom scene that quickly turns into sadness, or:

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

like that absurdist bathroom scene
This scene was incredible, so over the top in the best way. So was him
WARNING: "Mandy" spoilers below
consuming some kind of narcotic/vice after killing someone, picking up the mirror with the coke on it and snorting it then smoking the cigarette
. Was surprised that he's barely in it for the first hour but it worked to the films advantage because it felt like he had been unleashed

Didn't like it quite as much as you but it was really good, surprising as i expected it to be underwhelming. Gave it

Mandy (2018) -

You ripped my favourite shirt!

Whiners complained Panos Cosmatos had been prematurely hailed the Kubrick of the 21st century. The guy proved he's not a one-hit wonder and did not lose his chops! He delivered exactly the same orgone-oozing, neon-lit feverish dream. This time served in grindhouse sauce! During the last 15 minutes I had been praying for this not to end. 120 minutes felt like 20 minutes, and I just can't get enough of this, and now I have to wait another eight (?) years for his third film! I feel like rewatching both Mandy (that I just literally saw an hour ago) and Beyond the Black Rainbow!

Welcome back, Panos. Welcome back, Nic.

Sion Sono, Terrence Malick, Eugene Green, Eric Pauwels... and Panos Cosmatos.

What's the point in watching anything now, really?

@cat_sidhe THE HYPE IS REAL! If you didn't understand my talk back in the day, the one about oozing orgone, Andromeda galaxy, positive vibrations and fourth dimension, just watch this film and you will get it!

PS: Cage is hilarious and crazy (although not as much as in, say, Bad Lieutenant), but he still manages to deliver a great performance, and he even made me sympathetic for his character at times, like that absurdist bathroom scene that quickly turns into sadness, or:

Well now I'm SUPER PEPPED for this!

Was surprised that he's barely in it for the first hour but it worked to the films advantage because it felt like he had been unleashed
He was literally unleashed. It seems that he'd had a very dark/turbulent past, but upon meeting Mandy he decided to start a new life. Love seemingly changed him into an introvert, quiet guy, who merely remarks, or quietly replies to her, but in reality he was just asleep, just like the tiger was in a cage (Cage wears a tiger shirt). The brutal death of Mandy opens the cage (pun not intended), and Red stops giving a f*ck anymore.

She was perhaps the only reason for him to live. Then, the reason for him to live was to take revenge for her death. That's why the ending, when he kills all the bad guys, sits in a car, and starts hallucinating about her is so stunning. He realizes that even though the bad guys got what they deserved, he will never get his wife back. That's when he smiles hilariously (and creepily) in the camera, but in this smile there's mad desperation and melancholy.

The bathroom scene you mentioned is phenomenal. He had to look at his beloved one getting burnt alive, but even though it was a very strong initial shock for him, it wasn't until his return to his home that the whole thing really set in. He gets in and he sees a goofy commercial - the absurdism of the situation is the final trigger. He enters the bathroom, and he literally explodes. All those emotions just pour out. He relapses, and downs a whole bottle of vodka hidden somewhere from his wife. At first he does the trademark caginess, and the entire scene is framed as if it was a joke. Then, however, the camera makes that zoom, and all we see is his face, and Cage starts crying, and the overall mood changes from absurdly funny cage moment to absolute desperation and misery.

He was literally unleashed. It seems that he'd had a very dark/turbulent past, but upon meeting Mandy he decided to start a new life. Love seemingly changed him into an introvert, quiet guy, who merely remarks, or quietly replies to her, but in reality he was just asleep, just like the tiger was in a cage (Cage wears a tiger shirt). The brutal death of Mandy opens the cage (pun not intended), and Red stops giving a f*ck anymore.

She was perhaps the only reason for him to live. Then, the reason for him to live was to take revenge for her death. That's why the ending, when he kills all the bad guys, sits in a car, and starts hallucinating about her is so stunning. He realizes that even though the bad guys got what they deserved, he will never get his wife back. That's when he smiles hilariously (and creepily) in the camera, but in this smile there's mad desperation and melancholy.

The bathroom scene you mentioned is phenomenal. He had to look at his beloved one getting burnt alive, but even though it was a very strong initial shock for him, it wasn't until his return to his home that the whole thing really set in. He gets in and he sees a goofy commercial - the absurdism of the situation is the final trigger. He enters the bathroom, and he literally explodes. All those emotions just pour out. He relapses, and downs a whole bottle of vodka hidden somewhere from his wife. At first he does the trademark caginess, and the entire scene is framed as if it was a joke. Then, however, the camera makes that zoom, and all we see is his face, and Cage starts crying, and the overall mood changes from absurdly funny cage moment to absolute desperation and misery.
Yeah, it definitely surprised me how well done it was emotionally. It didn't completely get to me but i expected it purely to be hilarious, while it was that there was more to it as you said.

I loved Mandy and the villain too.
The laughing scene was one of the best in the film, the way it was framed as a fcked up drug trip really (heavy handedly but who cares that's what this film was) highlighted why this dude is so angry towards women, i felt emasculated just watching it haha.

Re-watch for me. Good movie. Entertaining. Beautiful Blake Lively as a very bad girl, which was very amusing.

Sweet rom-com. That’s it.

I loved Mandy and the villain too.
The laughing scene was one of the best in the film, the way it was framed as a fcked up drug trip really (heavy handedly but who cares that's what this film was) highlighted why this dude is so angry towards women, i felt emasculated just watching it haha.
I love how the film has those sci-fi elements in it, but those are all just hints. Like that dreamy scene in the forest at the beginning, in which Mandy sees an alien baby, or those Hellraiser-inspired bikers who seem to be some monsters/aliens at first, but then turn out to be just some psychos in armour. Mandy looks very alien/androgynous/weird in some scenes which led me to believe that the members of the cult are some aliens and Jeremiah, their leader, chose Mandy with some higher purpose in mind (maybe as one" of their own"). Actually, to the very end I thought Jeremiah might have some super powers and will use them in the final showdown with Red. When he started beginning for mercy, I understood he was just a delusional maniac, and the film uses this dark theme and style to mirror Cage's mind, his struggle after his loss.

I love how the film has those sci-fi elements in it, but those are all just hints. Like that dreamy scene in the forest at the beginning, in which Mandy sees an alien baby, or those Hellraiser-inspired bikers who seem to be some monsters/aliens at first, but then turn out to be just some psychos in armour. Mandy looks very alien/androgynous/weird in some scenes which led me to believe that the members of the cult are some aliens and Jeremiah, their leader, chose Mandy with some higher purpose in mind (maybe as one" of their own"). Actually, to the very end I thought Jeremiah might have some super powers and will use them in the final showdown with Red. When he started beginning for mercy, I understood he was just a delusional maniac, and the film uses this dark theme and style to mirror Cage's mind, his struggle after his loss.
Actually, i didn't consider there being anything to Jeremiah's claims until after he started begging oddly. He initially begged then when it was obvious Cage wasn't budging he got incredibly, powerfully angry and i briefly considered that being some sort of ultimate test to see if Cage could give mercy to such an unforgivable monster. Like he was actually a profit or Jesus or whatever and he was testing Cage's morality before being allowed into heaven or wherever.

That would have been pretty dumb and i only considered it for a brief moment but still. Get what you were thinking, my friend thought something similar.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I felt like there was more of a supernatural element. Mandy was a sort of nymph (floabt) and Cage was some sort of God of War type. It was like he could sense what was coming and he wanted them to avoid the aftermath. He was never scared of any of the tormentors, his only pain was from Mandy being killed. I think the whole Abraxas angle opens up the possibilities. I believe he was manipulating Jeremiah in order to force Red back to his old ways. Drugs or not, the dudes Red faced were a few steps past Mad Max general casting. I don't think it's a coincidence the one flipped the Ram Charger when Red hit him.

I have 3 movies that I've bought, due to the realization I never re-watch movies. Pretty sure I'm buying Mandy, in spite of the gore and twigs & berries.

2036 Origin Unknown (2018)

Literally a one actor movie with no sets to speak of, other than that control room in the photo...It's a low budget, indie sci fi that works partially to the interesting Katee Sackhoff. It's her fighting to save the day against a mysterious cube found on Mars. The cube looks like it escaped from an episode of Star Trek TNG. The ending is a hyper silly 2001 A Space Odyssey style.

Anybody see this?

My full review

Well now I'm SUPER PEPPED for this!
@cat_sidhe.. definitely watch this!! I really enjoyed it.... it was f*cking awesome!

perhaps I will watch again soon...

Love Affair (1939)

-

I watched this because I absolutely loved An Affair to Remember. It's the same great story with the same great ending, but I didn't love it as much. This movie is a half hour shorter, and I felt like it was skipping steps. I preferred Grant and Kerr over Boyer and Dunne, although they are all good. I didn't think this was as somber with the same sense of finality, so I wasn't affected as much emotionally. This version was terrific; I just can't help but make comparisons.

And a friendly advice for anybody who enjoyed Mandy and haven't seen Cosmatos' previous film Beyond the Black Rainbow: Don't wait. Go and see it!

Certain Women

Excellent movie. Loved it.
Yes! I was afraid you were going to say you shut it off. Certain Women was one of my favorites from that year. I wish it would have made the Directed by Women countdown, but doesn't look like it has a chance now.