The MoFo Top 100 Films Directed By Women: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I watched Sleepless in Seattle for the first time for this countdown and I wept. Kiss my ass.

Like some people were surprised by Wonder Woman, I am surprised by The Babadook. I wouldn't call it a blockbuster or especially good, although I think it's decent and I liked it.

5. Mikey and Nicky (#39)
6. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (#59)
7. The Virgin Suicides (#29)
9. Bound (#90)
11. American Honey (#23)
13. Detroit (#40)
14. Nothing Bad Can Happen (#51)
15. Harlan County U.S.A. (#71)
16. The Heartbreak Kid (#45)
17. The Edge of Seventeen (#98)
21. Sleepless in Seattle (#15)
24. Deep Impact (#87)
25. Private Parts (#96)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Is 7/10 good enough for 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 10th on your list? I love how I'm the jackass for daring to say 17 is too high for Wonder Woman on an all time list.
Didn't call you a jackass, and i agree it's too high obviously since i didn't have it on my top 25. My objection is to this idea that any film with a focus on a minority is only liked because of that, or that always factors in in some way. It's dumb (not calling you dumb) and insulting.

I mean it's not like someone turned James Bond female, Wonder Woman is the most well known female superhero. She's probably the third or fourth most recognizable DC character after Batman, Superman and maybe Flash.

To think that diversity doesn't play an issue I feel is a little ridiculous.
Four people now: Mark, CiCi, Raul and Spaulding have posted why they voted for it and none of them said it was because it's about a woman (i'm sure Raul and Spaulding would agree that they'd be among the last people to care about that), i'd say at this point you suggesting that it is is ridiculous.
I wasn’t talking about the list, I was talking about the general public. I think there’s some confusion there. My bad.

I haven't posted my list of made it's before:
17 This has to be on GBGs list
I'm pretty sure that there's only one movie that this can be based on these two comments just above it:
Was it Sleepless in Seattle? That was my #17

...Like some people were surprised by Wonder Woman, I am surprised by The Babadook. I wouldn't call it a blockbuster or especially good, although I think it's decent and I liked it.
I'm not surprised by either showing up, as they both have high name recognition, which helps them to get onto list, especially when people haven't seen a ton of movies directed by women.

Didn't call you a jackass, and i agree it's too high obviously since i didn't have it on my top 25. My objection is to this idea that any film with a focus on a minority is only liked because of that, or that always factors in in some way. It's dumb (not calling you dumb) and insulting.

I mean it's not like someone turned James Bond female, Wonder Woman is the most well known female superhero. She's probably the third or fourth most recognizable DC character after Batman, Superman and maybe Flash.

Four people now: Mark, CiCi, Raul and Spaulding have posted why they voted for it and none of them said it was because it's about a woman (i'm sure Raul and Spaulding would agree that they'd be among the last people to care about that), i'd say at this point you suggesting that it is is ridiculous.

Well hopefully we can find some middle ground then because I'm not saying the movie is garbage or that people shouldn'tlike it. I am saying something is elevating it above movies in that genre and it's not that third act.

Sleepless is a fine rom-com but I wasn't close to considering it.

Really disliked the incredibly under developed character character piece Babadook.

I'm somewhere in the middle regarding Wonder Woman. I really didn't like the beginning. But the trench scene... I actually felt all the hairs raise on my arm and I WANTED TO DO BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So she definitely releases some warrior spirit in the ladies.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'm somewhere in the middle regarding Wonder Woman. I really didn't like the beginning. But the trench scene... I actually felt all the hairs raise on my arm and I WANTED TO DO BATTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So she definitely releases some warrior spirit in the ladies.
I mean with Chris Pine there too... The man could pimp me out to fund the next Uwe Boll flick and I'd be fine with it.

As someone who's played quite a bit of MMOs I liked the trench scene because she was so obviously tanking (even taunting the machine guns on herself). One of the best tanking scenes in movie history

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think The Babadook is a good horror film but it's more of a psychological thriller about the loss of a loved one and being unable to cope with the possibility that you cannot take care of a special child or even yourself while dealing with that loss.I didn't vote for it.

Sleepless in Seattle was my #19, mainly because of Trini Lopez.

Seen 86/86
My List
2. Olympia (41)
3. Olivier, Olivier (76)
4. Wonder Woman (17)
5. The Piano (21)
8. 13th (51)
9. The Matrix (20)
11. A New Leaf (67)
12. Europa Europa (24)
13. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (38)
17. The Heartbreak Kid (45)
19. Sleepless in Seattle (15)
20. Frida (49)
21. Harlan County, USA (71)
22. Bound (90)
24. A League of Their Own (19)
25. Detroit (40)

Welcome to the human race...
The Babadook was my #14. I distinctly remember sitting in a theatre to watch it and feeling such a palpable sense of dread throughout the whole thing that I contemplated bailing on it early - to that point, I question whether I'll ever get around to re-watching it, but that first viewing definitely made an impression.

Haven't seen Sleepless in Seattle.

I think The Babadook is a good horror film but it's more of a psychological thriller about the loss of a loved one and being unable to cope with the possibility that you cannot take care of a special child or even yourself while dealing with that loss.I didn't vote for it.

Sleepless in Seattle was my #19, mainly because of Trini Lopez.

Seen 86/86
My List
2. Olympia (41)
3. Olivier, Olivier (76)
4. Wonder Woman (17)
5. The Piano (21)
8. 13th (51)
9. The Matrix (20)
11. A New Leaf (67)
12. Europa Europa (24)
13. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (38)
17. The Heartbreak Kid (45)
19. Sleepless in Seattle (15)
20. Frida (49)
21. Harlan County, USA (71)
22. Bound (90)
24. A League of Their Own (19)
25. Detroit (40)
That scene never fails to crack me up! Good movie overall, too.

To continue my list that I wish I'd kept my numbering system for, well at least my movies/directors are getting in there:

#73 Children of a Lesser God Randa Haines
#72 Clueless Amy Heckerling
#66 Thirteen Catherine Hardwicke
#62 Something's Gotta Give Nancy Meyers
#47 Real Genius Martha Coolidge
#45 The Heartbreak Kid Elaine May
#34 Wayne's World Penelope Spheeris
#22 Monster Patty Jenkins
#21 The Piano Jane Campion
#16 The Babadook Jennifer Kent
#17 Sleepless in Seattle Nora Ephron

#14.
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

(dir. Amy Heckerling, 1982)

1 x 2nd, 1 x 3rd, 2 x 4th, 2 x 7th, 1 x 8th, 2 x 11th
=
177 points

#13.
Awakenings

(dir. Penny Marshall, 1990)

1 x 1st, 1 x 4th, 1 x 7th, 2 x 8th, 1 x 9th, 1 x 10th, 1 x 12th, 1 x 13th, 1 x 14th, 1 x 16th
=
184 points

I first saw Fast Times in 1984 at a friend's house when I was 13. I thought it was the greatest thing ever and I love it just as much now. It's so iconic and nostalgic, and it's totally my kind of comedy.

I was never interested in Awakenings before but finally watched it for this countdown. I thought it was very good and it was one of my last cuts.

4. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (#14)
5. Mikey and Nicky (#39)
6. Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (#59)
7. The Virgin Suicides (#29)
9. Bound (#90)
11. American Honey (#23)
13. Detroit (#40)
14. Nothing Bad Can Happen (#51)
15. Harlan County U.S.A. (#71)
16. The Heartbreak Kid (#45)
17. The Edge of Seventeen (#98)
21. Sleepless in Seattle (#15)
24. Deep Impact (#87)
25. Private Parts (#96)

Fast Times and Animal House are two classic comedies I need to get around to but I just have a feeling I won't enjoy them so they have become the proverbial can.

I feel like I saw Awakenings in my blockbuster days but there is a chance I have never seen it. Feels like something I would like so I should get around to it.

I've seen Fast Times at least a couple of times and remember liking it well enough at the time, but I haven't seen it in a while and looking back I get the feeling that it's merely okay and bordering on "might actually dislike if I re-watched it again". Chances are we'll never know.

Haven't seen Awakenings.

I seen Fast Times at the theater when it first came out, I loved it! and still do...it's vastly different (IMO) than other teen comedies that came out at around the same time. There's a lot of truth in that movie, even though it's taken to the comic extreme. If you'd gone to my school back in the early 80s you'd love Fast Times too. It was my #17