Phillip's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

Semi-Pro Movie Complainer
Hi, all! Pretty new to MoFo as a whole (at the time of starting this) but have really enjoyed my time here thus far. As such, I decided to make my own film log to let you all in on my taste in movies!

I've been studying film for a couple years now and safe it to say it's one of my biggest passions at the moment. I recently just started a Youtube channel dedicated to reviewing movies (link in my profile)

I'll obviously continue editing the format/configuration of this log as time goes on, but I think I'm going to separate the log between the current year it's in (in this case 2018) and everything else released prior! So without further adieu, here is a list of the movies that I've seen in 2018 and their out-of-10 ratings!

Rating Overview:
1-4: Varying ranges of bad
5: Average/mediocre/okay
6-10: Varying ranges of good

2018 Releases (Chronological Order)

Paddington 2 - 7/10
Black Panther - 5/10
Game Night - 6/10
Ready Player One - 5/10
A Quiet Place - 5/10
Rampage - 4/10
Avengers: Infinity War - 7/10
Deadpool 2 - 6/10
The Incredibles 2 - 6/10
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3/10

Pre-2018 Releases (Alphabetical Order)

Batman Begins (2005) - 7/10
Back to the Future Part I - 7/10
Back to the Future Part II - 7/10 or 8/10
Back to the Future Part III - 6/10 or 7/10
Call me by Your Name (2017) - 8/10
Coraline (2008) - 7/10
Dark Knight, The (2008) - 8/10
Dark Knight Rises, The (2012) - 6/10 or 7/10
Departed, The - 8/10
Good Time (2016) - 8/10
Fight Club (1999) - 6/10 or 7/10
Forrest Gump (1994) - 7/10 or 8/10
Handmaiden, The (2016) - 10/10
Inception (2010) - 8/10
Jurassic Park - 8/10
Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - 8/10
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - 9/10
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - 9/10
Pulp Fiction - 8/10
Saving Private Ryan - 8/10
Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace - 3/10
Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones - 2/10
Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith - 3/10 or 4/10
Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope - 6/10
Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back - 7/10
Star Wars Episode 6: Return of the Jedi - 6/10
Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens - 6/10
Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi - 5/10
Three Billboard Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017) - 9/10 or 10/10
Titanic - 7/10
Toy Story (1995) - 7/10
Toy Story II - 8/10
Toy Story III - 7/10
Train to Busan (2016) - 5/10
Wailing, The (2016) - 7/10
Whiplash (2014) - 10/10

BLACK PANTHER

Alrighty then, so I just saw Marvel’s “Black Panther” and it was...kinda okay? Like it was fine, I definitely didn’t dislike it. I suppose I’d say that I enjoyed it overall for the most part. Now before you ask if I think it’s a bad movie. No, I wouldn’t say that at all, I think there were enough things to enjoy about it to keep it afloat for sure. But is it a great movie? Is it spectacular? Nooooooo. To me, this was a fair-to-kind of good blockbuster that honestly could have been a lot better. There are a couple things that I think it did fine and there are a couple things that I think it did pretty poorly, I guess. But like I said, overall it was...okay.

In terms of individual performances, I thought that Chadwick Boseman did a good job at selling his character, although I can’t say that he had a lot of great material to work with. I found that I really enjoyed watching him on screen when he actually had moments of emotion, whether it be him getting angry or sad. The thing is though his character was honestly written as just kinda bland to me. Like he never really got to explore any sort of nuanced emotions and feelings throughout the movie and I definitely feel like the narrative suffered as a result. I mean come on, he’s a young guy who’s going through a really hard time, why can’t we get some more moments of emotion here? And I get what they were going for with his character, they wanted to make him like a regal, composed, graceful king, which makes things frustrating because I almost feel like for the first movie, he should’ve been in a fish outta water type of scenario.Like, how bout he’s this great warrior, which he is and that we already know because we got to know him a little bit from Captain America: Civil War, that gets thrown into being a king but realizes quickly that just because you’re a good fighter doesn’t make you a good ruler. But no, he immediately is really composed and makes level-headed decisions for the most part. Why is this guy so prepared to be a king already? It’s not like he was being trained to be king up to this point, was he? Anyways, this doesn’t really take away from Boseman’s performance which I found solid.

I also liked Andy Serkis, as Claw or whatever the **** his name was. Serkis is always fun to watch.

Michael B. Jordan has been a better villain than what I’m accustomed to in Marvel movies. He at least had some more character than nothing at all like almost every other supervillain on screen nowadays. I’m not going to say he did a phenomenal job but just like for the main character I don’t really think that they handled the character thaaaat well. Honestly I would have liked to have seen his character be a smart, Lex Luthor type of character who’s also a badass fighter instead of him being a ****ing psychopath like he is in the movie. I almost feel like he was a little too over the top and sometimes I couldn’t take him seriously. Like honestly did they have to make him act like a gangster out of a bad 90’s movie? Michael B. Jordan is a really good actor, give him soon good character moments instead of him just being a rude ******* to everyone. You have great actors on set but they were just written kinda one dimensionally.

I like how they blended some traditional african customs and futuristic technologies together. I thought that was kinda clever for the most part although doesn’t it seem a little impractical that you have your hands on a “mountain” of vibranium, the most valuable and useful resource in the world and you still have dirt roads and it doesn’t look your buildings have air conditioning? Not only that, you have the technology to build a suit that can withstand bombs and bullets yet your arsenal of weapons are like spears...and clubs? You have aircrafts that literally can go invisible midair and yet you can’t even give your soldiers half decent armor to wear into battle? The ****?

I liked the use of colors in this movie, for the most part. I’m honestly really glad that Marvel is finally choosing to incorporate an expansive color palette in their films. Black Panther had a solid aesthetic style to it and I really appreciate the effort they put into its color design. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and Thor Ragnarok from last year were both colorful films and they were both pretty solid...both were considerably better than Black Panther in my opinion.

Mm yeah, that’s basically it for what I liked about it, honestly.

I think my absolute biggest issue with this movie is that it just feels like so generic and gutless. There are so many points throughout this film where I felt as though Marvel was just checking off boxes for plot points. I can seriously envision the team of 10 screenwriters, I can only imagine sitting in their writing room that i’m sure they were held captive in saying, “oh well now that this is done now he needs to fight. Oh and now that he’s done fighting it’s time for the love interest to do some things. Oh and we can’t forget about the villain showing just how much of a bad guy he is.” It’s just so easy. This movie, more so than other Marvel movies, feels so committee-like. Like a team of 50 writers and producers carefully manufactured each plot beat and each line of humor throughout the movie. The humor was bad in this movie by the way. I think I laughed once towards the end of the movie. There’s no heart to Black Panther, and that’s a shame because I had some pretty high hopes for it.

The visual effects...oh my god were they bad at times. I actually scoffed at how bad the first waterfall scene looked because it seriously just looked like a made for tv movie. How did this happen? The effects in almost every Marvel movie has been good since the first Iron Man. Black Panther’s effects looked amateur at times. The waterfalls looked bad, the rhinos looked absurd, and some of the effects during some of the action scenes really took me out of the film with just how unnatural they looked. Now to be fair, did all the effects look bad? No, absolutely not. But there’s 2 things that I want to say here: 1, there’s no excuse for a studio the size of Marvel, who has been making huge blockbuster special effects orgies for so long to make a movie with a budget the size of this have effects be as bad as they are at all. Look at Civil War, every effect looked great in that movie. Iron Man 1’s effects still hold up to this day and that movie came out 10 years ago now! The second point, I feel like most of, if not all of, the effects that did look really good in this movie, were made to look good just so they can be featured in the trailer to sell tickets. I can’t prove this but I can’t imagine that it’s a coincidence that every good effect just happened to be ripped into the trailer.

My god, this movie just never developed anything at all. In a movie that’s over 2 hours long and no character development was ever fleshed out. Things just happened. This movie is just a series of events that happen because the script has some boxes that it needs to check off. And the thing is there’s so many things that this movie wants to do and I don’t know if it really does anything that well. It wants to be a political drama where Black Panther is the new king and is struggling with his kingship, and I never really got convinced that he was a poor king. It wants to be an action movie but I wasn’t all that wowed by the action sequences, especially the final fight, that was kind of a cluster****. It kinda wants to be a romance and it does an okay job at convincing me that Black Panther and his ex-girlfriend Nakeeya have something going on, but thats because the 2 actors have pretty good chemistry, not so much the writing or the plot.

How could I have fixed things you might be asking? Well if you’re asking me I think the plot should’ve gone a bit like this: Black Panther comes back to Wakanda as an ill-prepared king that has no idea how to run a country because he’s been so busy fighting his whole life. His lack of experience and his poor political decisions cause a rift in his country and people begin to call for his removal from office, and this frustrates him because he cant punch and kick his way out of this problem. During the political dissent a young and charismatic outsider enters the fold and starts to gain support amongst those who are unhappy with Black Panther’s rule. The new guy or Michael B. Jordan in this case challenges an angry and frustrated Black Panther to a duel and wins, almost killing Black Panther. As Black Panther is almost dead he comes to a realization through a vision or something that being a good king is all about making tough decisions that people might not like but will benefit as many people as possible, or some ****. And maybe he also realizes that the Black Panther suit is secondary to being a good person, or some ****. He recovers from his wounds and with this new knowledge and understanding of the world he returns and beats Michael B. Jordan in a fight where neither of them are wearing the Black Panther suits. I don’t know, it’s not perfect but I just came up with this right now and I kind of think that this is already stronger than the current plot of the movie.

Like I said, overall I enjoyed this movie, i thought it was okay. But man I can’t help but think that this movie could’ve been a lot better if some of other decisions were made. Honestly I would consider myself a Marvel fan but that doesn’t mean that I’m going to accept everything that they churn out as a masterpiece when in all reality, it’s just a decent movie.

I’m giving Black Panther a 5/10.

GAME NIGHT

Alrighty then, so I just watched Game Night and holy ****, am I pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. I think that I can speak for a lot of people when I say that when I first saw the initial trailers for this movie coming out, I thought it was just going to be one of your run-of-the-mill dumb comedies...Like your Meet the Fockers, or your 4 Christmases, or Couples Retreat. You know I thought it was going to be like one of those movies, not to say that those movies are bad which - I mean, come on they are kinda bad - but what I mean is is that I thought this movie was gonna be really cliche, have a lot of contrived conflicts, be really hokey, but I am shocked by how much I liked this movie.

First things first, the direction in Game Night was so good. This is really the core strength of the film, in my opinion. The first thing that I got surprised by was just how good this movie looked. Throughout the entirety of the film I was really impressed by how good some of the shot composition was, in terms of of course cinematogrophy, there were a lot of really visually pleasing shots along throughout the runtime. There were a handful of pretty creative shots using things like a Jenga set too. Everything looked really crisp, and professional, and I really got the vibe that the directors of this movie John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein just really gave a **** about this entire project, which is super refreshing because come on, how many hack directors are working in Hollywood right now?

Just to continue on with how much I liked the directing, I loved the use of the establishing shots in this movie. At first, I was a little caught off guard by how unreal they looked in comparison to how clean and crisp all the other shots and scenes were, but I quickly realized that the way they presented these establishing shots were very intentional and purposefully done to make it look as though it was a board game...and although I will admit that it was a little distracting at times, I do appreciate the creative and artistic vision that went into employing those shots. They took a risk and I liked that.

I enjoyed the camerawork that the directors used as well, for the most part, it was very dynamic and kept things interesting on a visual level. I would just like to compare this to the vast majority of comedies nowadays, where almost every single scene is just 1, maybe 2 cameras that are completely static and shot so conventionally and uncreatively that I always end up getting bored. Even comedies that I would say that I really enjoy like Bridesmaids and Superbad have this issue. Game Night does this really well. Whether it be a really slow zoom on a character during a dialogue, or slow pan to help the audience understand the positioning of the characters in relation to the set, I think the directors did a pretty solid job at keeping things really engaging. There is a scene in this movie that is done in one take, that is so much fun. Soooo much fun, and I really don’t think that most comedy directors, a vast majority of comedy directors nowadays can even hope to have the skill to direct the scene that I’m talking about right now. It’s all 1 shot, and it’s so captivating and mesmerizing, and it uses the camera and the characters so ****in well.

Last quick thing about the directing, there were a lot of quick-cut transitions that fit really well into the narrative littered throughout the first half of the movie. It reminded me a lot of Edgar Wright films where instead of just cutting to the next scene abruptly, he gives us something dynamic and interesting to help us segue into the next part of the movie. The directors of this movie, Game Night, did something similar to this a couple of times, however, worse than Edgar Wright does for sure. But nonetheless, it added a level of technical ability to the film which I am without a doubt on board for. It just made things more fun to watch. Admittedly this isn’t like a make or break aspect of Game Night, but I thought it would be fair to point out.

So that’s it for the directing...it was a really well directed movie guys, I’m impressed.

I thought the script was strong too. I think that the script was pretty evenly paced, for the most part. I didn’t find myself drifting off throughout the movie up until the 3rd act, which we’ll get into in a bit. There were a couple self-aware moments in the dialogue that I really appreciated because if they didn’t address them I would’ve found myself rolling my eyes at how cheesy some points got, but I’m glad the script had enough maturity to make a joke out of the cheese. And I found those self-aware moments funny so you know 2 birds, 1 stone.

The humor definitely landed well for me, although I’ll admit that this type of awkward and outlandish comedy is pretty up my alley but despite that I think that there’s a good enough variety of jokes to keep most people laughing. There’s an outright stupid character in this movie, who, in most other comedies I would probably hate because I usually dislike characters who are dumb just for the sake of being funny. But the actor who plays him, Billy Magnussen does such a good job making his character very stupid yes, but also very likable and charming, and I guess this is a good example of getting a good actor, with good directors in this case, with a good script and creating a good character even though they’re cliche.

Just piggybacking off of that, I do think that the performances were pretty good for the most part. I do think that the actors were blessed to have a solid script with good dialogue and some funny jokes for sure, but a good script can’t create chemistry, and I think that this cast has some good chemistry together, which makes sense, seeing as they are all very capable actors in their own right, Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams, Lamorne Morris, they’re all good.

Now of course this movie isn’t perfect, so let me go ahead and get into some of the things that it didn’t do so well.

I felt like the 3rd act was a bit of cluster****. Something that I really liked about he first 2 acts of the film was that it never really felt toooo outrageous even though it’s a movie where you definitely need to suspend your disbelief to get he most out of it. But the 3rd act had a couple of plot beats happen where I felt like they made things a little bit too big. A little too sensational, for a movie that I feel like really shines when things were more on the grounded side. At the end of the movie we start having a couple of pretty big action sequences that I didn’t really find too interesting and I definitely didn’t think that they were too necessary in the grand scheme of the movie. Like yes, on a plot level, these things had to happen, because you know it was written in the script. But what I mean is is that I felt like i would have enjoyed the ending a lot more if they kept the plot as relatively grounded as the earlier parts of the movie.

I never really felt like the side conflict going on between Jason Bateman’s character and Rachel McAdams character ever really felt that genuine, which matter because as the film goes on the script wants it to be a pretty big deal. However, I just never really ended up caring all that much. And I guess I liked the idea behind it kinda, but just execution wise I don’t think they wrote it well enough.

Moreover, I wasn’t too much of a fan of the actual action sequences that they put into the movie. Whether it be a car chase or a fight scene, I never really got too into it, I kinda found myself just waiting for these scenes to end so that the characters could start interacting again because the characters are strong and they’re fun to watch. It’s almost ironic that in a movie that utilizes large action set pieces, I kinda just wanted them to end.

There was at least one scene in the movie where a character was supposed to be crying tears and it was kind of a piss poor effort put into it. Like they didn’t even try to make it look like they were actually crying, but you know what, based off the overall tone of the movie, there is a part of me that feels like that might have been on purpose to not have this character sobbing on screen. However, despite that, I do feel like if you’re going to include a scene with a character crying, you should have them cry, or you should just write in something different. That’s a small criticism though, very minor.

Ummm, there was a moment where the sound mixing was really bad.

That’s basically it though, I did not outright dislike too much about this movie.

Overall, I I feel the same way about Game Night as I did leaving Horrible Bosses. For both movies, I walked into them blind, not knowing too much about the plots at all. And I left both movies feeling really, really pleasantly surprised and happy that I saw them. I will say though that I think Game Night is a much better movie, not only on a subjective enjoyment level, but on a technical filmmaking level as well.

I know that I’m talking it up very highly but that’s only because I’m so genuinely surprised that this movie is...good! Like, I’m just surprised that it’s good period. I was expecting just another cookie-cutter comedy and what I got instead was a smart, self-aware, visually appealing, technically sound movie, that I think anyone can enjoy.

I really wanted to be able to give this movie a 7/10, which is a very good grade for me, just for your own reference I gave Spider-Man: Homecoming from last year a 7/10. However, the 3rd act in Game Night was just a little too hokey for me, and I’m sad to say that it brought down my overall enjoyment of the film as a result. And because of that, I’m giving Game Night a 6/10.

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI

INTRO

Alrighty then, so i just watched “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” and oh my gosh, what a great ****in’ movie this is.

Honestly, if this movie is probably my favorite film that was released in 2017 and seeing as the Oscars are literally tomorrow, I fully expect it to win at least a few awards, namely best actress for Frances Mcdermond but we’ll get into that in just a bit.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to see the other 2 films that the director of this film Martin McDonagh (i dunno if im pronouncing that correctly) has done, but man if this isn’t a great business card to make me want to check out his other work then I really don’t know what is.

Performances

The biggest standout aspect of this movie is probably - and the only reason that i say probably is because there’s so many wonderful parts of this film that it makes it hard to choose the best - but in my opinion the best part of this movie is the performances.

Frances McDermond, jesus christ. If this is not a career-defining performance for her. The way I see it, 3 Billboards is to Frances Mcdermond as Whiplash is to JK Simmons, or Forrest Gump is to Tom Hanks. It might not be their most popular movies, but they’re the films that these actors really shined in.

She does such a fantastic job at selling her character as a borderline psychopathic person who has lost all hope in the justice system, who is tired of relying on people who she feels have failed her, and is now taking matters into her own hands the way she sees fit.

There’s so much subtlety that she really nails in her performance, whether it be her reactions to events, or her trying to subdue emotions, it feels so real. It was such an absolute pleasure to watch her every moment on screen because this is one of the best showcases of acting that I have ever seen. If Frances doesn’t win the Oscar for best actress I will be upset. As someone who understands how little the Oscars actually matter, I will still be upset if she doesn’t win best actress.

Sam Rockwell also did a great job playing a character whose arc I did not expect to play out the way that it did. They took his character in such an interesting direction late into the movie and I think he did a great job at making that transition very seamless.

Caleb Jones is an actor who I’m definitely keeping an eye on after his performance in Three Billboards and Get Out where he played the crazy brother. He’s so natural on screen, his delivery and his mannerisms are so organic. I’m really excited to see where his career goes from here, I think he has a very bright future ahead of him.

I think Woody Harrelson did a solid job as always, Peter Dinklage was good also...There was a very minor character played by Darrel-Britt Gibson who I really enjoyed also, I think he played him very well. Just about and down the board, really great performances.

The script

This movie had such a good script as well, Martin McDonagh has a really good knack for developing character arcs and pacing out a story.

I honestly just really enjoyed the overall premise and plot of the narrative. I’ve never heard of a film even remotely similar to this and I respect McDonagh’s creative vision in bringing a story like this to life. The plot has a so manyinteresting twists, turns, and conflicts that I didn’t ever really see coming and was surprised by when they happened, which doesn’t happen to me very often in the theaters nowadays.

The script had a lot of humor that landed really well throughout this movie...a lot of it, almost too much. But not enough where it detracted from the seriousness of the narrative, much unlike Marvel movies nowadays where everything needs to be undercut by a really cringy joke. Three Billboards handles its humor with a lot of grace and maturity.

I loved, loved, loved the character interactions, specifically between Frances McDermond’s character and Woody Harrelson’s character. It was so interesting to see 2 characters who truly respect each other but are just at complete odds when it comes to the conflict at hand.

Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson’s characters had great moments with each other as well, their characters were just so strongly developed and it was a lot of fun to watch the dichotomy between the two.

The script also presented a **** ton of different themes for the audience to really chew on which makes you see the argument between both sides of the given conflict. And they presented a lot of different themes, just off the top of my head it addressed hope, justice, love, loss, and a bunch of others, and it does them all pretty damn well. Some better than others, but none of were done poorly.

Much like with any other great script, there’s a lot of good dialogue. Most of this movie is talking, there’s some action but in comparison to how many pure dialogue scenes there are, it’s very sparse. But despite how dialogue heavy this movie is I never felt bored, and yes thats due in part to things like the cinematography (which was amazing), and the performances, but the dialogue was always very strong and believable.

Cinematography

This movie was gorgeous. Even from opening shots, I was so impressed with McDonagh’s sense of visual aesthetic in conjunction with his storytelling. It certainly helps that they filmed on site, nothing was in studio thank god...but even then, I think what they were able to capture and how it was shot was just so professional and clean.

Directing

I have to give some very particular love to Martin McDonagh as a director for this project. It’s really obvious that he had a concrete vision for what this film was supposed to be, both on the macro and the micro...the macro includes such as how the script guides itself through the plot and how the characters are developed and the micro includes such as how the each individual scene is lit and shot, and how the actors deliver each line. It’s like he saw exactly how this movie wanted to go in his head before ever picking up the camera.

I’m personally a huge fan of a well-done, intricate one shot scene and there’s a marvelous one in this movie. And this scene must have been so hard to pull off as well as they did because it involved a handful of characters, a ton of movement from outdoor to indoor and back to outdoor, and really precise timing that I’m sure most have needed everyone on set ot be on their A-game for.

And for this scene to be as good as it is, it really needed a great director to be able to coordinate all the actors on set and handle the timing of everything, and I think this scene in particular is the best example of how good the overall directing in 3 Billboards is.

Negatives

Now this movie isn’t perfect despite how great it is. First things first, I was taken out of the movie a little bit with some of the humor. It’s not too much like I said earlier, but it is a lot. This is personal for me, but I just wish that there were a little less parts of humor in some areas of the movie, namely in the kitchen scene featuring the comic relief character, which by the way I totally could have done without. She was pretty annoying, very useless, way too over-the-top with how funny they tried to make her and I really think that the film suffered as a result.

I’m not too sure what they were going for with her. I really feel like this movie might have been a perfect film for me had it not been for how absurdly funny they tried to make that character. And you know as I said, I love the script, I love the directing, but this was a pretty glaring mistake on the script’s part and Martin McDonagh’s part.

There was another character in the gift shop and again towards the end of the movie in a bar that felt a little jarring whenever he popped up. And I think popped up is the best way to describe it, because he seriously just turns up at these places for seemingly no reason either time. And mind you he is an important part of the story, yet it seemed like they just threw him into these scenes without any sort of of development.

Honestly that character seemed pretty hokey...like when he was on screen doing things, I found myself thinking “okay it’s convenient that you said that.” “im glad that you said that so now this character just happens to know what you did inyour past now.” just very obvious, kinda clunky.

That’s basically it, 2 weak characters kinda brought this movie down for me but rest assured this film was something of a masterpiece for me. 3 Billboard is a movie about not just one character addressing topics such as justice, hope, hopelessness, truth, and life. This movie made me laugh, it made me sad, it made me smile, and it broke my heart at some points. And overall I cannot wait to watch this movie again.

I think for now, I’m going to give it a 9/10. Thank you for watching.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

Alrighty then, so I just saw Avengers: Infinity War and it was good! I don’t think that it was amazing, but it was good, I’m happy with it.

Now first things first, allow me to say that I do consider myself a Marvel fan, but I’m not a big Marvel fan by any means. I have appreciation and respect for what they do as a whole, I think that they’ve undeniably changed the way we see movies and entertainment, for better or worse.

Something that I really like about Marvel Studios is that they have a very ambitious yet very concrete vision for what they want their movies to be like, but on a bigger scale they know exactly how they want the overall direction of this universe to go. And I’m assuming it must be a very tough job to do this as relatively well as they’ve been doing it thus far because...I mean, take a look at some other cinematic universes by other major movie studios right now...oh my god.

But with that being said though, I still can’t deny the fact that Marvel at the end of the day, it’s just popcorn entertainment to me. Overall their movies are pretty simple, they’re pretty cheesy, they have a lot of superficial emotional moments that I roll my eyes at a lot, given I do think that Infinity War has done a much better job at making me take it seriously than say Black Panther, which is a movie I really did not enjoy.

So yeah, case in point, I like Marvel but I don’t love Marvel. But let’s talk about what I liked about the movie.

Pros

Thanos

So my favorite part of this movie, is ironically what I usually hate about superhero movies: the villain.

Josh Brolin does such an incredible job at playing Thanos. He is intimidating, he is serious without being cartoonishly evil, ugh he’s just so good in the role.

They also did a really stellar job at creating Thanos, effects wise. Apparently this movie cotst $300 million to make, which is absurd, but I can only assume that a pretty hefty chunk of that went into making Thanos look as clean as possible throughout the whole movie. Like at no point did I ever feel like I was watching a CGI character, they did a really good job at making Thanos look and feel “real.”

So yeah, I really, really enjoyed Thanos as a villain. Josh Brolin was awesome and the small nation of special effects artists that it took to make him did an awesome job.

Structure

The structure of this movie was pretty strange, but oddly enough I think it worked really well, given the fact there are like 200 characters in this film. I think the script did a very competent and mature job at introducing new characters at fitting points of the story.

Like there are no less than a million characters in this movie, I’m pretty sure, I’ve counted, but I somehow never felt like it was too much. I never felt like I was over-loaded with characters, except at the end, but I think I credit the overall structure of the plot to that.

Honestly, I was really worried going into this movie that it would just be 2 hours of superheros making things explode and I would just fall asleep in the theater, like how I did with Black Panther, but the narrative is structured so that between cycling through exposition, character introductions, and action I was never bored.

Character Moments

Avengers Infinity War has the best character moments out of any Marvel movie yet. Dare I say it, there are some pretty heroic ass moments in this movie that honestly really got me hype in the movie theater.

I saw this film on opening night in a crowded theater, and I have never ever heard so many applauses in a movie theater before. I don’t applaud when I watch movies because...well I mean, come on. But for this movie, truthfully, I get it...There are some great moments between characters that you expect to have great moments between but there are also moments between characters who you’d never guess to have moments between that just hit so well.

Restraint

I think that the last major positive I want to call out is this movie had a good sense of restraint, comparative to how big it is. Like this is the pop culture phenomenon of our decade, this is this decade’s The Dark Knight or Titanic.

But even in spite of that, I really respect the writers for not putting all 1 billion avengers into the same scene, and then have it be an explosion fest. Instead, they separated a lot of characters, created some unexpected storylines, and gave...most characters a pretty good direction.

A good example of a film with no restraint is Avengers Age of Ultron, that is just a movie that just banked on people wanting to see all the Avengers on screen with each other and fighting next to each other. But what ended up happening with Age of Ultron is that because they just made it an Avengers-orgy, it was so boring and so lifeless and ugh.

Speaking of restraint, I like how this movie did a better job at using its humor. Because it is a funny movie as well, but it’s fittingly not too funny. There are some funny moments, but not so much that it takes away from the seriousness of the plot too much. This is someting that Age of Ultron did really poorly as well, in my opinion.

With that being said though, Infinity War feels much more mature and much better thought out.

Other Goods

So those are the particularly good things about Infinity War that stood out to me, yes every actor has a pretty good performance for the most part, but none really stood out to me besides Josh Brolin. Uh, I thought the action was pretty expected honestly like I wasn’t amazed by it, I will say though spoiler alert that when Dr. Strange and Thanos square off with each other was awesome.

Cons

Alright so this movie is not perfect so let’s talk about the cons...there are not too much though.

Gets Worse

My biggest issue with this film is that it gets progressively worse with each act. I think the first act is delightful and does everything that it needs to do very well, I think the second act is still solid but not as good as the first in terms of setting things up, and I think the third act is pretty messy, it’s a little too repetitious for me.

Not only that, they really tried to wrap things up a little too quickly at the end. Like the last 5-10 minutes of this movie fall really flat for me. It’s pretty anticlimactic, I think.

And unpopular opinion here, I really didn’t like the ending that everyone is “so sad” over. Without spoiling anything, I felt like it was a little cheap and out of nowhere. It felt very unearned, plot wise. And not only that, everybody knows that it’s not set in stone, right? Come on.

Visual Effects

Outside of Thanos, I actually think the visual effects get pretty bad at some points. Like Mark Ruffalo in the Hulk Buster suit looks so weird.

Another huge reason why I don’t love the final act of Infinity War is because I feel like the quality of the effects really takes a dive at that point. Like there is a battle, as you could probably imagine and ugh...a lot of the background characters look really fake, the antagonists look pretty fake as well so it’s a little disappointing.

I noticed this a lot in Black Panther too, the effects in that movie were god awful, but Infinity War does do it better, but the effects get a little distracting after awhile.

Dumb Character Decisions

There are some really silly character decisions in the movie, most namely someting that Chris Pratt’s character does in the third act that really annoys me because it’s so pivotal to the plot but just makes 0 sense.

Like they seriously had him be such an idiot as a plot device and it feels so out of place and random and cheap. Ugh.

Conclusion

And that’s basically it!

Overall, I enjoyed Infinity War a good bit. I think it was a very clever and mature handling of a story with so many characters and it’s probably one of my more favorite Marvel films, in my opinion. Like I definitely don’t like it more than Iron Man 1 and Avengers 1, but I liked it as much as I did Winter Soldier or Guardians of the Galaxy 1, honestly I like it a little less than Guardians 1.

But yeah, don’t expect any character development in this movie because there is none. But this movie knew what it wanted to be, what it had to do, and it succeeds in its execution.

If you haven’t seen this movie yet, I recommend it, and I’m giving Infinity War a 7/10.

DEADPOOL 2

Alrighty then, so I just saw Deadpool 2 and it was fiiiiiiine? Now before I go on any further let me just say that although I definitely didn’t love this movie or even think it was great for that matter, I still think that this movie is better than the original. And although I don’t dislike Deadpool 1, I think I respect it a lot more than I enjoy it. Like a rated-R superhero movie with tons of profanity and realistic gore? Sure, why not I will spend my money on you.

People already seem to have forgotten this but there was once a time where people thought that rated-R superhero movies wouldn’t be able to make money and look at where we are now! And you know what, I think that the original Deadpool has almost everything to do with how we’ve moved forward.

Pros

Cool now with that out of the way let’s talk about what I liked with the movie.

Filmmaking

Now I wouldn’t call this a “well-made” film by any means, but it’s undoubtedly a big step up from the original from a filmmaking standpoint. Overall I can tell that the director and crew spent a lot more time thinking about ways they could make the film more interesting and fun to watch whether it be through the cinematography, camera movement, or editing. Of course Deadpool is just a silly and vulgar superhero movie, I’m glad to say that the sequel is a notable step up in terms of movie quality.

Ryan Reynolds

Ryan Reynolds did a great job as the character once again and although I don’t really consider him a great actor, I can’t imagine an actor who’s more suited to play Deadpool. He’s charismatic and funny in the role and much like Hugh Jackman as Wolverine or RDJ as Iron Man, I immediately associate the character of Deadpool with Ryan Reynolds.

Vanessa Carlysle

I actually really like the actress who plays Deadpool’s girlfriend, her name is Morena Baccarin I think, I’m probably butchering that pronuncation. She and Ryan Reynolds have really, really good onscreen chemistry together and I really buy their relationship in this movie. In fact, the scene at the end of the movie where Deadpool and Vanessa are reunited in the afterlife had a lot of emotional resonance with me. On top of both of their performances being heartfelt and touching, the cinematography plus the music plus the directing really pulled at my heartstrings.
Cons

And that’s it for the good stuff, let’s talk about my issues with the movie.

Visual Effects

My biggest problem with the movie is that the visual effects are really bad. And before anyone says “The visual effects were bad on purpose and they were used as a punchline in and of itself,” I understand that and I agree with you, however that’s not an excuse to me. When your franchise is as profitable and popular as Deadpool is there’s no reason to have such ****ty visual effects in it. Yes, you can reference your lack of budget within the dialogue of the film as a joke, but ultimately that will only leave me wondering why the budget was so low in the first place? How can you justify having such a low budget to the point where the quality of the movie has to be sacrificed? Remember, just because they made a joke out of the lack of budget doesn’t make the lack of budget okay to me. I’m a huge believer in funding a movie appropriately and no amount of 4th wall breaking jokes will make me feel as though the ****ty effects that I’m looking at on screen was worth it.

Dude like Colossus looked soooo bad throughout the movie. Also, there was a CGI action set piece towards the end of this movie involving Juggernaut and Colossus and I was legitimately shocked by how bad it looked.

I don’t mean for this rant to get too long, but I think that if you know your movie is going to be a hit, why don’t you just spend some extra dollars to make your work look clean and professional instead of just saying, “oh let’s just make a joke out of it” so you can save some money.

The Kid

I wasn’t a huge fan of the kid in the movie. Nothing against his acting I guess, I think he did well enough in his performance, but man he was such a whiny little **** wasn’t he? Like every time that he was on screen I found myself asking things like, “wait why is he mad again?”

Nothing To do Characters

I guess my last big complaint is that there were way too many characters with nothing to do in this movie. I’m if you’ve wanted to see this movie already you’ve seen it by now, so let’s put it this way: you have Deadpool, the kid, Cable, Domino, and maybe Colossus. These are the only characters in the entire movie who have names and actually do anything of substance. All the other characters don’t even do anything - Ehrlich, the blind lady, bald teen girl, asian teen girl, Juggernaut, hell, I really like Deadpool’s girlfriend in this movie and even she doesn’t even really do anything...she just sits on a chair and talks like a fortune cookie the entire film. Like, if you’re not going to use these chfaracters that’s fine, just don’t include them in the movie. Hey maybe, you could even use some of the money you’d save from paying the actors and put that towards your visual effects budget....

Conclusion

Welp, I guess that’s it for Deadpool 2. Overall, this movie had its fair share of flaws that I could probably expand upon but I’d like to keep this video as short as possible. Nevertheless, despite the flaws of the movie I still enjoyed myself and would probably recommend it to most people! With that being said, I’m gonna give this movie a 6/10.

THE INCREDIBLES 2

Alrighty then, so I just saw Incredibles 2 and it was solid!..but a little unimpressive. Now before I get into this movie I’d like to quickly give my thoughts on the original film. I saw the first Incredibles in theaters when I was 9-years old and it was actually one of my favorite films throughout my childhood. As a kid, I remember I loving the silly jokes, the action, and the entire world that was created. I recently rewatched the first Incredibles as a 23-year old adult and I’m happy to say that after 14 years, it still holds up. Now that I’m older I can appreciate the smaller intricacies of the plot, the self awareness of some of the writing, and the outstanding score by Michael Giacchino. Moreover, I still think that the villain in the original Incredibles is one of my favorite villains with a unique and creative backstory and character motivations. Overall I see Incredibles 1 as one of those movies that will always have a very special place in my heart from its sentimental value from my childhood, but apart from that it’s still objectively an extremely competent film. With that all that being said, I would probably give the first Incredibles a 7/10 but I’d always be in the mood to rewatch it.

Now let’s talk about Incredibles 2. As I said earlier my super short recap of this movie is that it’s solid but unimpressive. In fact, the only really impressive parts I thought the film had going for it was the animation and visual style as well as the action. I was very pleasantly surprised by how much technical care and attention was given to constructing some of the shots and animation in this movie. It really seems like the director of both Incredibles films Brad Bird really set out to improve a lot of the visual storytelling elements in the sequel compared to the original. I found myself being really impressed in the theater at some of the shot compositions and uses of color all throughout the movie. Without spoiling too much, there was a night scene that included a pool that made me actually say “oh wow” in my seat. It’s obvious that the director and animation team of Incredibles really focused on improving the visual aspects from the original film and I think it really shows in this one.

With that said, I also found myself pleasantly surprised at a lot of the action in this movie. In fact, I think this is another clear improvement from the first Incredibles. Something that I really like about the first Incredibles is that the action was creative and they were able to incorporate the character’s superpowers alongside each other’s. It’s always nice to see writers going the extra mile when it comes to things like that and when the plot of your movie revolves around a family of superheroes, I thought Incredibles 1 did a good job at having each character’s powers play off of one another’s. The first Incredibles did it well and I think Incredibles 2 did it better. Once again, don’t want to spoil anything but in almost every action scene I found myself getting more and more impressed at what the team behind the movie were able to come up with in the action set pieces. There was a new character introduced to the series named Void who despite having a very annoying personality in my opinion, had a lot of interesting and creative moments of action as a result of her superpowers.

And those are the only 2 things that stood out to me about this movie. Now that’s not to say that I thought this movie did everything else bad, quite the contrary. This movie didn’t do anything badly, but at the same time I didn’t find anything else about it particularly impressive. As a matter of fact, I found myself getting slightly annoyed by some parts of the movie.

For example, I respect the direction that the film went with by having a prominent B-plot to go alongside the main story, but I sometimes felt like B-plot scenes went on for so long and without much direction. I’ll admit it was a nice change of pace to see the roles reversed for this film, having the female lead fighting crime whereas the male lead was at home watching the kids, but the movie insisted on jumping back to the B-plot so much to the point that I was really getting taken out of the movie. And I’m not going to deny that a lot of the B-plot scenes were pretty funny, but that doesn’t change the fact that I think it made the movie unncecessarily long at points. Like there’s only so many times I can watch the chaos that was happening at home before it started feeling really redundant. Like i’m glad it made me at least laugh but it didn’t really push the plot forward at all.

Also for those who’ve already seen the movie, can we all agree that the twist was soooo obvious? Like I’m not even kidding when I say that I predicted it within the first 30 minutes of the movie. And it’s not like it ruined the movie for me because I still enjoyed it, but what’s the point of even having a twist at the end if it was so predictable and obvious from the get go?

Whatever, I don’t want this review to be longer than it needs to be especially when I really don’t have too much to say about this movie to begin with. Overall, it’s a very serviceable sequel that definitely improves upon some of the better aspects of the first film but at the same time didn’t do enough to wow me or see it as anything more than a “good sequel.” And as I said before I don’t think that this movie did a single thing bad, but it didn’t really do much particularly well to the point where I see it as a “great movie.” To me, it’s a strong film made by talented people who definitely know what they’re doing and that’s about it. I don’t think it’s better than the first film but I’ll also say that I think this is my favorite Pixar film in quite some time. Also, I would definitely recommend this movie to just about everyone and I think that there’s enough to charm to it that you’ll feel like you got your money’s worth out of it, and I’m giving this one uhh, definitely at least a 6 maybe a 7 but probably not out of 10.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Alrighty then, so I just saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom and wow this movie might be the worst film I’ve seen in awhile.

Now before moving ahead with the rest of this review, I thought I’d give my thoughts on the Jurassic Park franchise as a whole.

Overall, I think that the original trilogy is an admirable series of movies that pushed the boundaries of special effects. The original trilogy was made during a time when visual effects were used to help tell a movie as opposed to a movie being used to showcase a visual effect and I think it really shows. The first 2 films in particular did quite a good job at blending the fantastical elements of bringing dinosaurs back to life with the implications and consequences that would have on mankind.

Fast forward to 2015 and Universal decides to reboot the franchise with a new leading man and and honestly I thought the first Jurassic World movie was decent. I think Chris Pratt was good in the role, there were some exciting and clever moments of action, and I think that for a big Hollywood blockbuster, the movie had some resonant moments of heart. I’ll be the first to say that 2015’s Jurassic World is definitely not my type of movie but I would still probably give it a 6/10.

Pros

And now we have this movie. Quick note before I begin this review, I don’t think that I can actually describe my thoughts on this film without going into some detail, so here is your spoiler warning! Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

As always in these reviews I try to start off with the things that I liked about the film, so let’s talk about what I thought the movie had going for it. Don’t worry this won’t take long.

With that said, I thought there were some interesting visual shots throughout the film and I thought that the ending left the narrative in an interesting position as the franchise moves into the inevitable 3rd film.

And that’s it!

Cons

Now, I actually have no idea where to even begin with what I disliked about this movie so I’m just gonna start word vomiting whatever comes to mind.

It’s definitely debatable, but I think that the worst part of this movie might just be the plot and how little sense it makes. From an over arching story standpoint I found myself constantly asking things like, “Why is this happening?” “Who is this character?” “Why are they going here again?”

Literally every single character decision that was made in the movie didn’t feel earned or organic in the slightest. I swear, it felt like every plot point within the film went something like this:

“Chris Pratt, come with me to save the dinosaurs because we have to go save the dinosaurs because I love dinosaurs and I don’t want them to die.”
“Uh, okay.”

Or

“Hey other bad guy, I’m an evil guy and I like money and you like money so wait here for a second so I can tell you how we’ll make money.”
“Uh, okay I’ll give you 10 minutes.”

UGHH, it feels like a child wrote this movie.

This movie is riddled with plot conveniences from beginning to end. Like there were so many times in the movie where I found myself thinking, “oh I guess, she just knows how to pick a lock all of a sudden? That’s convenient.” or “Oh I guess it was really lucky for you that those light switches just happened to be there so you can be safe now.” How can I be expected to take this movie seriously when these conveniences just happen to save the characters because the writers are too lazy to set things up properly? Now you might be saying, “Phillip, just turn your brain off and enjoy the movie, did you really expect to take a Hollywood blockbuster like this seriously?”

And honestly, yes I do. Look, when you make a movie that shows people being viciously eaten by dinosaurs, I expect you to make a movie that makes me feel as though the characters in the movie are actually in real danger. And how can I feel any sort of danger when your movie has so many plot conveniences that unrealistically save the characters at every twist and turn?

Every single performance in this movie ranges from bad to bored. I swear, not a single actor in this movie impressed me in the slightest. Chris Pratt looked so bored whenever he was on screen and I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that he wants to leave this franchise entirely, the performances from the paleo-vet girl and the systems analyst guy felt too tryhard and unfunny, and I can only assume that the child actor is the daughter of one of the producers or something because she is so bad. Hollywood, there are good child actors out there, they’re hard to find sure but stop putting horrible kid actors in your movies for no reason.

Speaking of the paleo-vet girl and systems analyst guy, why were they even in the movie, they do next to nothing in the entire film. The girl is only there to do a BLOOD TRANSFUSION ON A DINOSAURRRR? And the guy actually does nothing besides spit out cringeworthy attempts at comic relief. Neither character had anything remotely substantial to do with the plot and neither character actually acted like real people. They could’ve removed both characters entirely and it really wouldn’t have changed the movie at all.

And yes, you heard me right, they give a blood transfusion to a dinosaur...while using the blood from another dinosaur? How did you know that that would work? How did you know which blood type should be used? How do you even know how to perform a blood transfusion on a dinosaur?

Not only that, what was up with every character in this movie being so insanely one-dimensional? Not a single character has any depth to them and they all only have one driving motivation throughout the entire movie.

The visual effects were also really bad in this movie. Like not just the dinosaurs, but the environments, the buildings, the lava all looked so fake and cheap. I’m really not sure what big budget studios’ excuses are for such poor CGI in their films when movies like Blade Runner 2049 have visual effects that are flawless for a smaller budget. Hell, even James Cameron’s Avatar looked better than this movie and it came out 10 years ago.

Anyways, I try to keep these Reel Quicks to the big points of the movie and I feel like this is getting a little bit too long so I’ll wrap it up here. And as much as I could go into immense detail on every part of this movie that didn’t make sense, I think you all get the point by now.

Overall, this movie was an absolute jumbled mess that didn’t make work on a story level or on an enjoyment level. I was seriously sitting in the theater alternating between feeling insanely bored and extremely annoyed. This movie wasn’t even fun enough for me to enjoy it as a comedy, I was just frustrated throughout the entire film.

And with that said, I would absolutely recommend that you stay far away from this movie and please don’t support studios making horrible movies such as this with your hard-earned money. Unfortunately this movie wasn’t so bad to the point where I enjoyed it, it was simply so bad. I’m very much looking forward to never watching this movie ever again and I’m going to give this one a 3/10.