Why The Academy Awards sucks.

Tools    

It's true, but I can't help myself. I'm a movie fanatic and there is the Best Picture Oscar Winners list. So I keep watching them and my reaction is usually, you got to be f!@king kidding me!

I must say that Best Documentary and Foreign Language film winners are solid.
I think that most movies that win prizes are good. I am just pointing out that it is a prize by the big Hollywood studios hence it reflects the evaluation by these big Hollywood studios of what their distinguished members consider to be good, which will tend to be products made by the same studios.

It's like a "Microsoft prize" for best software. Which app do you think will win for operational system or for office suite?

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I brought it up because matt72582 (the person I was originally replying to) wanted to complain about Best Picture winners being Too Politically Correct These Days so I brought up examples of how the old ones aggressively weren't as a counterpoint.
Cool Iroquois.

I think that most movies that win prizes are good. I am just pointing out that it is a prize by the big Hollywood studios hence it reflects the evaluation by these big Hollywood studios of what their distinguished members consider to be good, which will tend to be products made by the same studios.

It's like a "Microsoft prize" for best software. Which app do you think will win for operational system or for office suite?
True

I have no clue if anyone has brought this up as I haven't read the entire thread. But I've had an idea for awhile to spice up the Academy.

Every 10 years they should have another Oscar show towards the end of the year for the best movies/actors/directors of the decade. All the categories get revoted for the whole decade with the advantage of perspective now. I think it would eradicate a lot of wrongs.It would truly crown the best movies/actors/directors.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I have no clue if anyone has brought this up as I haven't read the entire thread. But I've had an idea for awhile to spice up the Academy.

Every 10 years they should have another Oscar show towards the end of the year for the best movies/actors/directors of the decade. All the categories get revoted for the whole decade with the advantage of perspective now. I think it would eradicate a lot of wrongs.It would truly crown the best movies/actors/directors.
And it would have to be People's Choice i think. Then you rule out the campaign money under the table.

looks like we got ourselves some real iconoclasts in this thread
Meaning what?

And it would have to be People's Choice i think. Then you rule out the campaign money under the table.
Giving the people the vote kind of takes the prestige out of the award though. Everyone wants it because its very select group. I know they are trying to be about inclusion but the reason the Oscars are so coveted is because its an exclusive club.

But maybe I'm talking out of my ass and it would work lol

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Giving the people the vote kind of takes the prestige out of the award though. Everyone wants it because its very select group. I know they are trying to be about inclusion but the reason the Oscars are so coveted is because its an exclusive club.

But maybe I'm talking out of my ass and it would work lol
That's fine to talk out of your arse, my good fellow, because I have no idea. We have peoples' choice awards here in my country for an annual film festival and I thought it was pretty prestigious, but I get your point. It might only be prestigious in my own head. I just dont want to be funding judges sitting ona panel for their next holiday, house, first class flights, strumpets, wines and caviar etc.

Welcome to the human race...
There's a difference between "crap" and "didn't deserve Best Picture".