The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

Little Women

I had watched this before when I worked at Blockbuster. I really didn't remember much but was surprised at some of the things that came back to me right before they happened. Good movie that is a very easy watch. Pleasant is the word I would use. A film that really has no flaws and is just easy to kind of sit and rest with. Unfortunately for me it doesn't have anything that really elevates it either. Sweet story with good performances and a pretty nice score.

I have not read the book but if I had to guess I would say that this film skips an awful lot of material. It seems to skip in time a couple of times in a way that left me playing catch up. Feels like maybe it would be a really great mini-series.

I just realized I've watched 3 Kirsten Dunst movies for the countdown with that, The Beguiled, and The Virgin Suicides.
She's awesome. I think she out acted a pretty great cast at 10, or whatever she was.

The Last Supper

Ugh! Double Ugh! This was just much too broad to be good satire in my opinion. I was hopeful by the way a couple of you reacted that this would be a gem of a comedy. I can see why it was forgotten though. It's not funny. It's also not poignant because it is not specific enough with it's social commentary. Every character, including the liberals, are a caricature of how they are viewed by society to the extreme. Sorry Mofos, there just isn't anything here for me.

I didn't dislike it like you but i felt largely the same, got really sick of the gang pretty quickly. I did like the guests better simply because they were better actors, and i liked how 90's it was.

My take on The Last Supper is that we're suppose to get really sick of the liberals...and of the conservatives too. The liberals get more and more self righteous which peaks when one of them suggest killing the teen girl virgin, because she believes in waiting to get married before having sex. Even when they kill the Sheriff, she's such a nice lady, that it's like ugh! that was wrong! And in the end the liberal characters have become just what they claimed to hate. So yeah I hated them at the end. But I liked the movie for it as it didn't endorse what they were doing, and the ending balanced out things a bit!

By sick of them i meant bored, i didn't want to watch them anymore and that was as soon as we got past the Bill Paxton scene which i was kind of into, so for the majority of the film i just wanted them off my screen haha. Wasn't related to their likeability it was watching what i found boring caricatures, the conservatives were the same but i think those were played by more interesting actors and they only had one scene each so their thing wasn't stretched out as much. I do get your response though.

By sick of them i meant bored, i didn't want to watch them anymore and that was as soon as we got past the Bill Paxton scene which i was kind of into, so for the majority of the film i just wanted them off my screen haha. Wasn't related to their likeability it was watching what i found boring caricatures, the conservatives were the same but i think those were played by more interesting actors and they only had one scene each so their thing wasn't stretched out as much. I do get your response though.
I misunderstood your post.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying about the group getting boring, as it was just stuck on the one idea, and not much from their characters are brought to life.

My take on The Last Supper is that we're suppose to get really sick of the liberals...and of the conservatives too. The liberals get more and more self righteous which peaks when one of them suggest killing the teen girl virgin, because she believes in waiting to get married before having sex. Even when they kill the Sheriff, she's such a nice lady, that it's like ugh! that was wrong! And in the end the liberal characters have become just what they claimed to hate. So yeah I hated them at the end. But I liked the movie for it as it didn't endorse what they were doing, and the ending balanced out things a bit!
Balanced things a bit, yes, but let's not pretend the film doesn't have an agenda. The conservative characters couldn't be written more absurdly.

The only rational character with well thought out ideas and views is a conservative: Ron Pearlman, someone who they believed was Hitler before they actually met and listened to him. I think the films point was we aren't always going to agree but we need to learn to work together and listen to each other rather than shout and argue, which was a pretty weak point but i definitely didn't see any liberal agenda. The liberals are reacting to extreme conservatives throughout which is what the liberals see all conservatives as, also the liberals are much more hateable than every Conservative other than Bill Paxton despite having the more socially acceptable views. I mean ones a kind priest and the other a schoolgirl.

The only rational character with well thought out ideas and views is a conservative: Ron Pearlman, someone who they believed was Hitler before they actually met and listened to him. I think the films point was we aren't always going to agree but we need to learn to work together and listen to each other rather than shout and argue, which was a pretty weak point but i definitely didn't see any liberal agenda. The liberals are reacting to extreme conservatives throughout which is what the liberals see all conservatives as, also the liberals are much more hateable than every Conservative other than Bill Paxton despite having the more socially acceptable views. I mean ones a kind priest and the other a schoolgirl.
Agree to disagree. I don't think it's a mistake that ever single one is laughably dogmatic.

Agree to disagree. I don't think it's a mistake that ever single one is laughably dogmatic.
Neither do i. As i said they are arguing with extreme conservatives: deliberate caricatures, they don't believe a rational, articulate conservative actually exists until they actually meet one and it blows their minds. They believe all conservatives are idiots and evil monsters, first it dispells the evil monsters part when all the conservatives are pleasant (except Paxton) then it dispells the idiot part with Pearlman who argues his points well and actually has them thinking. Think it criticizes liberal bubbles and liberal close mindedness and arrogance as much as conservative views.

Before even reading the reviews I can tell some are going to find this film boring, and if I was watching this in a certain mood I would probably mind it boring too. But I'd have to disagree. I thought the film was kinda going for a White Ribbon/Sátántangó approach where they include scenes some would consider pointless in order to give a realistic depiction of the film's events. This overall makes the film feel more like an experience than a story film, which I think REALLY works for it. Ramsay's direction is great, you can tell she wanted to convey every emotion described on the pages of the original novel with just the camera and the actress. You can also tell her direction works as despite the main character barely talking when she is by herself, you can tell every emotion and thought running through her head. Something about this makes the whole film feel very personal; did Ramsay direct this film based on a fictional story in such a way in which it relates to a significant moment in her life? Maybe this is how she directs ALL of her films, considering that the direction in Morvern Callar (the long scenes of a single character doing nothing) feels very similar to the direction of We Need to Talk About Kevin. Also to back up my point again Ramsay has a child (Going by Wikipedia, I'm too lazy to check anything else). Maybe I should watch Ratcatcher before coming to this conclusion.

Also a few extra points:
-There are some brilliant visual metaphors.
-The soundtrack gives off the emotion of each scene in a surreal, dreamlike way.

While I do think We Need to Talk About Kevin is leaps ahead of Morvern Callar, I'm gonna need to re-watch it before posting my review of it. Awesome nom Camo, if it wasn't for you I would never. have watched it.

Awesome Hashtag Glad you liked it and good review. You should check out Ratcatcher when you get the chance to finish her filmography as she has only made the three, Ratcatcher is my favourite of hers.

Well she has technically made four but her film from last year was only out in festivals, it will be released in theatres in April and looks amazing.

Well she has technically made four but her film from last year was only out in festivals, it will be released in theatres in April and looks amazing.
According to IMDB the UK gets it in March but either way I'm still pretty damn excited for it.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

According to IMDB the UK gets it in March but either way I'm still pretty damn excited for it.
Cool, wasn't aware. It's released in the US the day after my 25th Birthday.

That means only Siddon and JJ haven't reviewed Morvern Callar.

Balanced things a bit, yes, but let's not pretend the film doesn't have an agenda. The conservative characters couldn't be written more absurdly.
I didn't see a liberal agenda. I mean the liberals were so far off their rocker, that they made Bill Paxton look sane. Actually Paxton and Ron Pearlman were my favorites....along with SNL alumni Nora Dunn.

Wasn't that kinda the point though?
That's what he's saying.
Yup, that's what I was saying. BTW, I liked your nom Hashtag.