Best Christian-themed movies?

Tools    

Which is the best movie with Christian themes?
7.69%
2 votes
Chariots of Fire
11.54%
3 votes
Prince of Egypt
34.62%
9 votes
Ben-Hur (1959)
30.77%
8 votes
It's a Wonderful Life
3.85%
1 votes
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
11.54%
3 votes
The Gospel According to St. Matthew
0%
0 votes
The Mission
23.08%
6 votes
The Ten Commandments
30.77%
8 votes
The Passion of the Christ
0%
0 votes
Amazing Grace
19.23%
5 votes
The Last Temptation of Christ
7.69%
2 votes
A Man for All Seasons
26 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy?
Let's face it, religious movies typically suck.

But some of them manage to break the mold and actually qualify as decent entertainment, even to non-religious folk.
Which of these does it best?

The truth is in here
The difference between these movies and something like God's Not Dead or Alex Kendrick nonsense is that movies like The Last Temptation Of Christ, It's A Wonderful Life and even the Narnia movies many people can enjoy even if they're not Christian. They are simply great stories. While the former mentioned movies are strictly made for Christians and are almost completely inaccessible for those who're part of amother religion or maybe don't believe at all.

Most interesting man in the world
define "religious movie" ... here are some good ones Ive seen :

a walk to remember ,gregario y su angel (available in spoken Spanish or English)
*though they mix both I think 2 mules for sister sara,the trouble with angels,
where angels go trouble follows,the story of ruth ,ester *1999 is not bad

some might be considered "catholic" idk ,Ive seen ALOT of movies,these are just few
with "Christian" themes ALOT of movies are NOT "considered religious" but have "religious things" in them... I have ALOT more movies with "religious things" in them

I don't stick to any genre in anything... a good movie is a good movie

Can't vote for The Ten Commandments as one of the best Christian-themed movies since it isn't.
It's a pretty good Jewish-themed movie, though!
Well, I tend to be a bit ambiguous in this sort of classification because Judaism is a huge structural aspect of Christianity (and perhaps Islam to a lesser exent), vice-versa is not true. Without Judaism, Christianity cannot happen.

Therefore, The 10 Commandments can be both a Christian and a Jewish themed film. The same can be said for Prince of Egypt and Chariots of Fire, although the former leans towards semitism while the latter leans towards Christianity in themes.

define "religious movie" ... here are some good ones Ive seen :

a walk to remember ,gregario y su angel (available in spoken Spanish or English)
*though they mix both I think 2 mules for sister sara,the trouble with angels,
where angels go trouble follows,the story of ruth ,ester *1999 is not bad

some might be considered "catholic" idk ,Ive seen ALOT of movies,these are just few
with "Christian" themes ALOT of movies are NOT "considered religious" but have "religious things" in them... I have ALOT more movies with "religious things" in them

I don't stick to any genre in anything... a good movie is a good movie
Oh, absolutely. The Lord of the Rings, any of John Woo's action epics, and many other films may contain Catholic imagery and/or themes but they are not centered around said themes like the movies in the poll are.

I don't know if I'd consider "The Exorcist" to be a Christian film but it'd definitely get my vote if so. Blatty was a practicing Catholic and wanted The Exorcist to be a faith-strengthening movie, not the opposite.

Five worthwhile religion-related movies that I know of:

I Confess (1953)

The Name of the Rose (1986)

Romero (1989)

Raining Stones (1993)

Beyond the Gates (2005)

This.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Hello Achoo. Happy New Year!

I looked up religious themed movies and found a few I hadnt considered.

Frozen - I havent seen it so hve no idea on that one.

Alien 3 - I didnt pick it. Wasnt overly fond of the movie anyway

Willy Wonka - interesting because he always struck me as a rock spider. I watched the Johnny Depp version the other night. I find it really toxic and wonder if he got fiddled with s a kid.

Eyes Wide **** - I would never have picked that.Bill and Alice are Adam and Eve. Hullooo? OK then.

Rocky Horror - Nup, dont get it

Harry Potter - Not a fan but she says: Harry doesn’t just do magic. He is the savior of his people, he wanders in the wilderness where he’s lured by temptation, and in the end he dies to save those people — and is resurrected.

Superman - LOL but I guess. A hero with special abilities who’s sent down to earth by his father to save mankind? Jesus much?

The Lion King. I can see it in that

The Secret Garden - I've never seen it but same ole same ole about the garden of eden

Total Recall - what.the? The moment where Arnold Schwarzenegger and Rachel Ticotin land on a whole new oxygenated Mars? It’s the movie’s most striking Christian imagery and sets Schwarzenegger and Ticotin up to be the next Adam and Eve in the brave new martian-filled world.
I'm sure Arnie would like to think of himself as the original man

Truman Show - Cue the Sun!

Book of Eli

Hunchback of Notredame - shames organized religion by portraying the religious leaders in the movie as moral hypocrites. I can see that (havent seen the movie though)

Well, I tend to be a bit ambiguous in this sort of classification because Judaism is a huge structural aspect of Christianity (and perhaps Islam to a lesser exent), vice-versa is not true. Without Judaism, Christianity cannot happen.

Therefore, The 10 Commandments can be both a Christian and a Jewish themed film. The same can be said for Prince of Egypt and Chariots of Fire, although the former leans towards semitism while the latter leans towards Christianity in themes.
On a purely logistics level, I have to disagree. The entire story of the Ten Commandments takes place centuries before the birth of Christ and doesn't even deal with Old Testament prophecies of the Messiah coming from out of God's chosen people (which may be dealt with in other stories based on books of the OT).

So there really are no Christian themes in the story even in the sense of Christian principles - the aspects of forgiveness aren't there, gaining salvation in the afterlife via the savior is not there, there's no hint at the story of Christ's sacrifice & resurrection to provide salvation for mankind nor of God becoming man in order to sacrifice himself on behalf of mankind.

I completely understand the relationship of the Abrahamic religions, but there are no Christian themes in the Ten Commandments. It is most definitely a religious movie, but not a Christian themed one despite the fact that the story is contained in the Bible, which Christians accept as their holy book.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The Ten Commandments are also in the Bibles that Christians read though, so isn't there some sort of Christian belief in them therefore?

I don't know if I would count I Confess as a Christian themed movie as it uses the main character's occupation to drive the plot, but not really the theme, I would say.

Movies like Superman and The Truman do not count as Christian themed movies to me. It has allegories of certain beliefs, but that's about it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Jesus of Montreal
Elmer Gantry
Black Robe
The Exorcist
The Apostle
Lilies of the Field
Jesus Christ Superstar
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days
The Song of Bernadette
The Keys of the Kingdom
A Man Called Peter

Many more

The Ten Commandments are also in the Bibles that Christians read though, so isn't there some sort of Christian belief in them therefore?
No. Not in that particular story. It's not even considered prophetic toward the coming of the Messiah like some later OT stories.

It's like saying that because Einstein agreed that the Earth was round, then Columbus must have understood and utilized the special theory of relativity. Columbus's knowledge of the shape of the Earth was part of Einstein's belief, but Einstein's beliefs about relativity were not part of Columbus's theories because one came long before the other.

Even though Christians accept the story of the Ten Commandments, Moses' story came long before Christ's story (and the major tenets & principles in the religion built around Christ) was even a concept, and even before the concept of a divine Messiah was part of Judaism itself.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Yeah that makes sense.

Most interesting man in the world
Oh, absolutely. The Lord of the Rings, any of John Woo's action epics, and many other films may contain Catholic imagery and/or themes but they are not centered around said themes like the movies in the poll are.

I don't know if I'd consider "The Exorcist" to be a Christian film but it'd definitely get my vote if so. Blatty was a practicing Catholic and wanted The Exorcist to be a faith-strengthening movie, not the opposite.

true about imagery re: LOTR for example in
a "Christmas" movie like home alone there's a church where kevin goes into &
hides in a manger as a shepherd to lose the bad guys
*so the movie has a Christmas environment and a small "religious" theme to it...
as kevin tells his neighbor that he hasn't been "too good" this year and probably doesn't deserve presents

in ernest saves Christmas,theres a small part around the beginning where ernest reaches to his cars glove box and takes something out and out falls a bumper sticker that reads "keep Christ in Christ mas"
for a "brief" sec or 2

I hear star wars the phantom menace has quite a bit of religious themes

Monsieur Vincent (1947)
The Flowers of St. Francis (1950)
Diary of a Country Priest (1951)
Ordet (1955)
Nazarin (1959)
Becket (1964)
A Man for all Seasons (1966)
The Milky Way (1969)
The Ninth Configuration (1980)
Under the Sun of Satan (1987)
Little Boy (2015)

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Even though Christians accept the story of the Ten Commandments, Moses' story came long before Christ's story (and the major tenets & principles in the religion built around Christ) was even a concept, and even before the concept of a divine Messiah was part of Judaism itself.
Christians don't just accept the Ten Commandments. They are part of the faith and foundation of the moral code. And the coming of the Messiah was prophecied at the Fall of Adam and Eve. Jesus spoke about the authority of the Seat of Moses and even joined with him and Elijah at the Transfiguration. To say or imply that Judaism has no relation with Christianity is faulty theology.

Yes, really. At least the mainstream Christian flicks I come across do. I guess I'm just not looking hard enough.