The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

I actually think that if you go into the politics the liberal notions of the middle were wrong in today's political climate which is what makes it dated and fairly humorous.
I barely remember anything about the 90's but it very well could have been ahead of its time upon release.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It's got tomatoes! Am I the only one who thought that was a neat thing?
that's something I DID remember from it --
WARNING: "especially" spoilers below
when the sheriff/police woman is asking about what they do to get the tomatoes so sweet

Oh my God, it even has a watermark!

Quite a brilliant thriller/horror/whatever you want to call it. Christian Bale should've gotten an Oscar for his role in this (Instead of The Fighter, which I wasn't too fond of). The character of Patrick Bateman is fantastic and Bale performs him beautifully; I couldn't imagine any other person performing the role. The opening to the film sets the mood perfectly, the ominous red drops against the pure, white background. Also kudos to the effects department, they got the blood to a perfect, threatening hue. The film can be goofy at times, but not to the point of where a more serious person would walk out of the screening. The film is very well paced. Also two big thumbs up to the sound department, they made the chainsaw sound absolutely vicious!

Brilliant nom Yam.

The Last Supper

When this first came out I remember thoroughly enjoying it, cheering these grad students on in their little Sunday dinner with a guest and enjoyed it as much this time around, though with a slightly different view, as two decades of life will do for you.
Back then, I simply cheered them on; get 'em all and let's have some delicious sweet tomatoes.
This time?
There was some cheering, while,
WARNING: "in the end," spoilers below
seeing the greater shark (Ron Perlman) devour these little fish did give me a dark smile

Also, like any great idea, we get to see it get muddied and knocked down to something blunt and grubby.
At first, the meals are sumptuous, the debates are passionate and all the points argued.
And as we continue, the meals become pizza or burgers and scarcely any conversation is really necessary, and the idea is now a compulsion. As is very well portrayed by the character Luke (Courtny B. Vance) who nearly goes completely over the edge with the bloodlust for taking out people who's opinions are not theirs. Which definitely rings of an intriguing irony. That, when does a hunter of monsters becomes a monster themselves, scenario.
We also get to see a common situation with Marc (Jonathan Penner) and Paulie (Annabeth Gish) where Marc is oh so comfortable at first and Paulie is horrified and as it goes on, Marc begins to crumble and Paulie is the one who finds a calm in the storm. Which is played out when the Sheriff knocks on the door in the middle of one of their Sunday dinners and Marc becomes a frozen deer as Paulie keeps her cool.

I definitely appreciate the premise and how well it can be shifted to the way things are now and it makes me a little curious about my own views
WARNING: "watching Perlman's character" spoilers below
put the puzzle together and catches the powerful smell of arsenic since Marc dumped so much into it and, with such calm, gets them to drink a toast.

I found myself grinning like the proverbial cat that ate the canary during that.

THANK YOU @Siddon for nominating this so that I could revisit it.

With Hashtag starting that's 9/11 started Technically Yam has watched Morvern Callar but i'm waiting for his review. Hopefully he's not waiting until the end to post everything again.

Let the night air cool you off
Technically, I've watched American Psycho, but you're waiting for my review. I've seen it too many times now, and I've read the book which affected me quite strongly. When I watch it now, there is a lot less power left in it. That said, it's a really funny film, so it does have that going for it. I use to love this film, and it deserves credit for being one of the early films that helped me get into being a film nerd. The acting is all really good. The look of the film is fantastic, as far as sets, costumes, and Christian Bale has the perfect look for Patrick Bateman. The character of Patrick Bateman is really interesting, the only things he seems to actually care about are fitting in, pop music, and violence. He's obviously representative of a lot of things bad about the 80's, and probably even now: racism, sexism, classism, greed, narcissism, and excess, with a lot of his kills either coming during or right after an action signifying one or more of those things. The homeless man gets it right after a display of obvious classism, the prostitutes seem to take a pretty rough beating after some obvious narcissism and probably a wee bit of misogyny. Even if that element of satire didn't exist, it would still be a funny film without it. The running incorrect name thing, the running inability to get a reservation at Dorsia, McDermott's(?) casual roid rage, and the uncomfortable scenes where Bateman has to deal with Kimble and business cards are alll very funny.

American Psycho is not as great as I used to think it was, but it is still a very sharp satire that is often times very funny and pretty uncomfortable.

I use to love this film, and it deserves credit for being one of the early films that helped me get into being a film nerd.
Same here.

Just waiting on @Yam12 starting now . Take This Waltz, Little Women and Europa Europa are the only ones not to have been reviewed. I'm watching Take This Waltz next, maybe tonight i dunno yet.

It's interesting that me and JJ were big fans of American Psycho when we were younger and now think it doesn't quite pack the same punch as we're around the same age and i'm guessing both discovered it in our early to mid teens. Then Hashtag and Yam are around the same age and have discovered it recently, wonder what they'll think in 10 years. Then there's older members like Citizen and Sean who will be watching it for the first time.

It's solid fun anyway. I remember my aunt described a horrible movie she saw one night and quickly turned off: she saw the chainsaw scene. She thought (and probably still thinks) i was messing with her when i told her it's a black comedy/satire

it's pretty amazing how much our tastes change from, say our teens to our twenties. And then it seems to shift a little every decade or so. There were movies in my teens I sort of shrugged off in my late 20s, early 30s and enjoy again in my early 50s. Some of that child-like wonder is pleasantly slipping back over that heavily dosed cynicism of adulthood when it comes to cinematic enjoyment.
I used to hate happy endings and preferred harsh storylines and now it's the other way around.
Who knows, maybe in a decade or two that'll switch around again or I find myself enjoying both ends of the spectrum. . .

Morvern Callar

spoilers

I think the best compliment I can pay to this film is that I am unsure of how I feel about this film. Or rather, to express it with any kind of eloquence without meandering too far off course.
Simply, I pleasantly find myself running the gambit much like Morvern's emotions or alienation of said emotions. Which I feel is an intriguing and somewhat exciting experience that mirrors what we experience (or are left alone to react as we choose) to what Morvern does on screen.

I have just finished watching this and then went back and read all the previous reviews along with the intriguing conversations regarding this movie; which, I must say, this movie does make for some wonderful conversational fodder. The fact that nothing is explained and we watch, intimately, without having any inside information makes it so interesting.

Surprisingly, the most shocking for me was when she left her best friend on the dirt road after searching so hard for her in the town. Which is also a little strange considering what had occurred previously regarding the dead boyfriend. Which, somehow, I didn't find shocking or confusing.
Perhaps it's because I've known a few individuals similar to the state of mind as Morvern is in this movie; including being away from home during such sporadic situations or even more so near home.
So I kinda get her, without actually walking in her shoes.
Loved the friendship and how they stayed away from the cliches with it.
And I consider it a happy ending that she leaves, to live life in, perhaps, a bohemian sense of it the word as well.

On a side note, I did find myself thinking back to a similar nomination of Camo's: Y Tu Mama Tambien as I watched this and found myself contemplating both the similariites and the differences of the two. . .

Bravo, Camo!

Morvern Callar

Surprisingly, the most shocking for me was when she left her best friend on the dirt road after searching so hard for her in the town.
That was possibly the most powerful moment to me because it was so assertive. Everything before that was so all over the place and possibly previous event driven and then she just decided what she was doing and followed it through, i think that was the turning point for her when she decided what she was doing in life and "rediscovered" herself.

Interesting that you and Cricket thought of Y Tu Mama, i honestly didn't even consider that. Makes sense though both are dreamy drama's with ambiguous elements. My type i guess haha.

Glad you liked (i think? haha) it Ed!

That was possibly the most powerful moment to me because it was so assertive. Everything before that was so all over the place and possibly previous event driven and then she just decided what she was doing and followed it through, i think that was the turning point for her when she decided what she was doing in life and "rediscovered" herself.

Interesting that you and Cricket thought of Y Tu Mama, i honestly didn't even consider that. Makes sense though both are dreamy drama's with ambiguous elements. My type i guess haha.

Glad you liked (i think? haha) it Ed!
that may be what struck such a chord. It was SO definitive in action. But, also, she had held so tightly to her best friend that, to walk away was a very strong self-realization of breaking away from her past entirely.
I thought of Y Tu Mama when the girls went on vacation.
me too.